1 month on the trainer and its getting better

Comments

• I don't think I've ever met an experienced rider that wouldn't be willing to go out with a beginner friend/colleague for a couple of hours.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    VTech wrote:
    Im off abroad at the weekend so will be taking the bike with me, weather is looking good at around 22 degrees so no rain for 5 days and time on my hands :)

Out of interest how are you travelling and packing your bike, assume via flight and not by car?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ive got a Bike Box Alan flight case, looks good quality so hopefully it gets there in one piece.

@Brakeless, Its more down to me not wanting to be rude, they are in training and the guys tend to go at a fair pace, you will just have to trust me that it wouldnt be right.
    Living MY dream.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    @VTech - have you ever started a thread on here which has not degenerated to some sort of slagging match? Seems to me you could start a "fight" in a Quaker Meeting House. :shock:
  • p1tse wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Im off abroad at the weekend so will be taking the bike with me, weather is looking good at around 22 degrees so no rain for 5 days and time on my hands :)

Out of interest how are you travelling and packing your bike, assume via flight and not by car?

Too scared to ride on british roads but happy to cycle on foreign roads!?? I'm perplexed!!!
  • VTech
    @Navrig, I reckon your right.

@Supermurph09, I know the area well, its 20 degrees, no rain and you can drive 50km without turning a bend or having traffic zoom past so I think its a great opportunity for me to get some road miles.
    Living MY dream.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    VTech wrote:
    Im amazed at the negativity of using a turbo ? I could have lied and said I felt comfortable on a fast bike in rain/sleet/snow and ice yet I use the trainer to build stamina before I venture out which I think everyone should do as cycling off the cuff is dangerous for anyone who isnt used to it !!!!!
    It would be like me handing one of you guys the keys to one of our cars and saying "of you go", it would be downright stupidity.

Anyway, miles up, weight down.

I don't think the comparison really works. Your fast bike is marginally faster than a beginners bike on the flat. It's not like its going to run away with you. Your fast cars are a lot faster (I guess) than say a Driving school car.

If you go fast on your fast bike - you might do 0.5mph faster than if you rode a £500 bike.
    If you go fast in your fast cars - you might be double the speed of the 'beginners' car.
  • VTech
    If its important ? Its Charleston SC, USA.
    Close to Georgia, north of Florida.

The roads are very quiet and flat where I am and should be safe enough.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    cougie wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Im amazed at the negativity of using a turbo ? I could have lied and said I felt comfortable on a fast bike in rain/sleet/snow and ice yet I use the trainer to build stamina before I venture out which I think everyone should do as cycling off the cuff is dangerous for anyone who isnt used to it !!!!!
    It would be like me handing one of you guys the keys to one of our cars and saying "of you go", it would be downright stupidity.

Anyway, miles up, weight down.

I don't think the comparison really works. Your fast bike is marginally faster than a beginners bike on the flat. It's not like its going to run away with you. Your fast cars are a lot faster (I guess) than say a Driving school car.

If you go fast on your fast bike - you might do 0.5mph faster than if you rode a £500 bike.
    If you go fast in your fast cars - you might be double the speed of the 'beginners' car.

Sorry for the confusion, in the past 20 years ive not really cycled, the most ive done is the very occasional trip round the local lake on a mountain bike with the kids. Im not sure if it is just me but the road bike feels a hell of a lot faster to me. I dont have a road bike to road bike comparison as im new to cycling.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:

I'd leave the bike at home, its going to be raining most of the week. :shock:
  • VTech wrote:

I'd leave the bike at home, its going to be raining most of the week. :shock:

He was never going to take it in the first place.
  • [/quote] He was never going to take it in the first place.[/quote]

Like everyone on this thread, I know! :P
  • VTech
    Ill leave it at home then, just got to figure out how to pack the trainer.
    Living MY dream.
  • You could take the Triban. That'll withstand the rain.
  • VTech
    The weather is looking great, There is often rain but in very small patches, I did think about taking the triban but I can get a bike when im there too so im not sure but either way, ill be getting some km in.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    @Brakeless, Its more down to me not wanting to be rude, they are in training and the guys tend to go at a fair pace, you will just have to trust me that it wouldnt be right.

out of interest - what are they 'training' for ?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    VTech wrote:
    ..... ill be getting some km in.

You're USA bound, don't you mean miles?

They wont understand km there/
  • VTech
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

The Australian Grand Prix. Then Malaysia, China, Bahrain etc etc.
    Living MY dream.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    VTech wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, in the past 20 years ive not really cycled, the most ive done is the very occasional trip round the local lake on a mountain bike with the kids. Im not sure if it is just me but the road bike feels a hell of a lot faster to me. I dont have a road bike to road bike comparison as im new to cycling.

A road bike will be faster than a trip on the trails with a fat tyred mountain bike - but not massively. It's more the handling of the bike - narrow tyres feel a bit weird compared to the more stable fat tyres. But you need to bite the bullet and try it - you cant improve your skills on a turbo.

Have fun in the sun.
  • VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

:lol: Sebastian Vettel doesn't stand a chance
  • VTech
    Brakeless wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

:lol: Sebastian Vettel doesn't stand a chance

Its DC you need to be careful of, he is incredibly good at cycling.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Right. Only you seemed to be implying they were training for some kind of cycling-related activity.
  • VTech
    I said they use cycling to get fit, they really do, most of the teams cycle, they think nothing of doing long distances 100km+ which is why I felt inferior and I think some of you may realise that it just wouldnt be right for me to say to people doing an activity to keep fit to wait for me every 2km. It wouldnt have gone down well I can assure you.
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What this thread needs is some lifestyle oneupmanship and it will be complete.
  • imposter2.0
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

I'm posting this from my private Carribean island - is that wrong ?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Imposter wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Any super models with you :?:
  • imposter2.0
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

well, obviously ;)
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Its my job, its not oneupmanship :roll:
    Living MY dream.
  • Why is it that the only person on this thread who has mentioned thier job is Vtech? I haven't got a clue what anyone else does for a living.