Tour of Qatar *spoiler*

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Well, he was lucky to win it in the first place! :D

Every winner has a degree of luck. Cav's MSR win was spectacular. A truly superb sprint to win on the line by centimetres.

An amazing sprint! :shock:
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Have you been talking to Barbie? :wink:

Who? Is this some nickname I don't know?
    Heinrich Haussler

Ahhhhhh.... right!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cav can still win it, he just needs to arrive in super shape (he certainly looks lean) and for the race to go a certain way. Let's not forget that 2012 was unusual, it does normally finish in some sort of sprint.

So what went wrong in 2010 and 2011?

I seem to remember that in both year Cavendish missed splits in the bunch quite early on, the make up of the top 10s in those years suggests that had he not missed those splits he'd have had a fair chance of winning.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Well, he was lucky to win it in the first place! :D

Every winner has a degree of luck. Cav's MSR win was spectacular. A truly superb sprint to win on the line by centimetres.

(I was only joking...)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Well, he was lucky to win it in the first place! :D

(I was only joking...)

Sorry - I missed that entirely :cry:
  • Well, he was lucky to win it in the first place! :D

(I was only joking...)

WHAT?? CANT HEAR YOU :wink:
  • WHAT?? CANT HEAR YOU :wink:

Your a pensioner?

SONGS OF PRAISE WILL BE ON IN A MINUTE...
  • I've got a touch of what Fuentes' assistant has, and I'm going a bit yonderley.

I'm 76 you know.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    WHAT?? CANT HEAR YOU :wink:

Your a pensioner?

SONGS OF PRAISE WILL BE ON IN A MINUTE...

Recall references to Holy Rollers in a past episode of SOP.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    They just have to ride half the effort they've done the last years up Poggio and Cav will be thrown backwards. Thankfully we got the likes of Nibali, Fabian and Peter Zlatan with fantastic descending skills to do major damage on Poggio and ensure that we won't get a mass sprint in such a legendary race.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    They just have to ride half the effort they've done the last years up Poggio and Cav will be thrown backwards. Thankfully we got the likes of Nibali, Fabian and Peter Zlatan with fantastic descending skills to do major damage on Poggio and ensure that we won't get a mass sprint in such a legendary race.

Can't have a top race ending in a sprint now can we?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    Not in my opinion. Usually the result of a dull race.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Not in my opinion. Usually the result of a dull race.

I would argue that the last 10 years have produced a host of exciting MSR finishes. Freire picking Zabel's pocket, Bettini haring it down the Poggio, Pozatto, Cav on the line, Canc's win.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    How was Canc's win a mass sprint?

This race has been overwhelmingly good in the last years for a 'sprinters classic'. And that's based on the 2008, 11 and 12 versions. I hope especially the last two years are a hint of what we could expect from this race in the following years.
  • Well, if rumours are true they're changing the finish next year to make it less sprinter-friendly

Another reason why I think Cav's bluffing - this year could be his last chance for a 2nd win for a while
  • ThomThom wrote:
    How was Canc's win a mass sprint?
    This race has been overwhelmingly good in the last years for a 'sprinters classic'. And that's based on the 2008, 11 and 12 versions. I hope especially the last two years are a hint of what we could expect from this race in the following years.

I didn't say it was. I said it was a good finish,

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    Don't get that.. As a reaction to my post about mass sprints usually are the result of a dull race?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,425
    MSR has been outstanding the past 5 years.
  • Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish
    Nice to get the win here today in #TourOfQatar! @opqscyclingteam just chaperoned me the whole day. Machines! BIG machines! Thanks guys.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited February 2013
    Live now http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Live/channel/global

3 men up-road by 4:20 but tumbling fast. Last 25k
    Grivko, Lang, Mukulis
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Don't get that.. As a reaction to my post about mass sprints usually are the result of a dull race?

You said MSR was too good a race to end in a bucnh sprint. I replied that it produces excellent finishes, some are sprints, some are not.

@gietvangent
  • 18km to go and the gaps are below 3 minutes, - this wont stay away, although it is nothing like as windy here today
  • its tumbling - 15-20 seconds drop in the last km - the run in to Al khor is quick
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Where are the giant wind machines they promised when they won the world champs bid?
  • Dancing Bear
    Dancing Bear Posts: 185
    edited February 2013
    1:50 the gap - the guys must have sat up ! - ah, this thing with the spike is the 'Fish roundabout' - have always failed to see where the fish connection is made. - This must the the same run in as the womens - so a few roundabouts and an arcing road for the final sprint
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,433
    Come on Sports live! Ddraver needs the english link!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think one of the Al Jazeera guys is Carlton Kirby.
  • expected a tailwind from here into Al khor now, but it looks to be across them from the left. - there is a right turn coming up - then it will be right behind them
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Sky look animated now.Anyone got English commentary?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • so chaps, are we going for another Cav-tastic display?