Tour of Qatar *spoiler*

18910111214»

Comments

• Oh if only there was an "exalt" button!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    :lol::lol::lol: Stupendous. Thanks.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,975
    :lol: Superb!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    For today, Menchov's Stabilisers has won at Internet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    3de7190d-9bbb-4236-8145-3e4b33f30b51_zpscc64b58d.jpg

The world's top sprinter?

I thought he was doing a bit of PR in the host nation and kneeling to Mecca.
  • 2v19pnd.png

Genius.
  • RonB wrote:
    Hope this link works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVuzZE6HYE

... final 5km of today's stage.

Cheers fo r the link, I missed it this afternoon - watched it 3 times - still can't see where cav comes from - outstanding effort
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    RonB wrote:
    Hope this link works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVuzZE6HYE

... final 5km of today's stage.

Cheers fo r the link, I missed it this afternoon - watched it 3 times - still can't see where cav comes from - outstanding effort

Neither could Carlton Kirbi.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Neither could Carlton Kirbi.

:wink:

You win this lovely garden gnome!

:wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Last 4km looked like teams taking turns to practice trains in 'race' conditions. If you look at overhead finale coverage, Cav is moving up sweetly. He's lost when the shot switches to head on. Carlton was just confused by the train practice.

Thanks for the link btw.
  • ocdupalais
    The last few K of any hectic sprint finish is where the good commentators separate themselves from The Duffers...
    To be fair to Carlton, he'd already dismissed Cav's chances for the stage and I think his attention was concentrated on the other contenders. I suspect his indignation at some bloke winning that he hadn't really mentioned in the last 200m was countered by the fact that it was Cavendish.
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    The last few K of any hectic sprint finish is where the good commentators separate themselves from The Duffers...
    To be fair to Carlton, he'd already dismissed Cav's chances for the stage and I think his attention was concentrated on the other contenders. I suspect his indignation at some bloke winning that he hadn't really mentioned in the last 200m was countered by the fact that it was Cavendish.
    In his post race interview with Matt Rendell, Cav was challenging Carlton to come down so he could give him a couple of slaps. It was in good humour, but I'm not sure what it was about.
  • ocdupalais
    RichN95 wrote:
    In his post race interview with Matt Rendell, Cav was challenging Carlton to come down so he could give him a couple of slaps. It was in good humour, but I'm not sure what it was about.

Maybe he's just got one of those faces?
  • Macaloon
    Carlton's problem was that he didn't notice that it was 4km to go when the first train started to peel every 200m, then the next train... Given that, he's forgiven for wondering where the farking line is. He might also ask the organisers of a desert race why the leader's jersey is the colour of sand. Glorious recovery on the line I thought.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    In fairness to Carlton, I was watching the Youtube link and I was especially looking out for Cav given how much you'd all been going on about how mega cool it was, and I was really struggling to find him!

Macaloon, you make an excellent point vis a vis jersey pallete selection!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Added to that he does have the Robbie McEwan(tm) cloak of invisibility, especially now he is released from the "curse" of the rainbow jersey.
  • RichN95.
    RonB wrote:
    Added to that he does have the Robbie McEwen tm cloak of invisibility, especially now he is released from the "curse" of the rainbow jersey.
    The 'curse' of the rainbow jersey these days is people on the internet calling you fat in February.
  • ocdupalais
    ddraver wrote:
    ...I was especially looking out for Cav given how much you'd all been going on about how mega cool it was, and I was really struggling to find him!

Which is a big part of what made it so cool. Obviously, not a Twitter sort of cool - that would be preposterous: just a portly little geezer from the IOM shuffling about - doing-his-thing sort of cool...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Yeah, I was super dooper Imprezd!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah, I was super dooper Imprezd!

Like, Cringeworlz!
  • Macaloon
    Menchov's Stablisers, have you sent your masterpiece to @markcavendish? Pretty sure he'd love it.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Have you never listened to a Kirby commentary? He has that effect on me too!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Macaloon wrote:
    Carlton's problem was that he didn't notice that it was 4km to go when the first train started to peel every 200m, then the next train...
    He is in the Paris suburb of Issy and he can't see anymore than you.
    Maybe he thought he was still doing Motor bikes or Curling.
    Like Harmon, he is very good in the highlights programs with a script.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Macaloon
    deejay wrote:
    He is in the Paris suburb of Issy and he can't see anymore than you.
    Maybe he thought he was still doing Motor bikes or Curling.
    Like Harmon, he is very good in the highlights programs with a script.

I'm certainly not having a pop. It was unusually chaotic, and Cav did disappear from an already obscure position camouflaged in his sandy jumper.
  • I've just realised from seeing the photo below that Haussler was racing :shock:
    IMO there is more to his total lack of results that motivation and personal issues.

sights_zps02673c5b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Re Haussler, FF, I always wonder what might have happened to his career if Cav hadn't picked his pocket at MSR!
  • PBo wrote:
    Re Haussler, FF, I always wonder what might have happened to his career if Cav hadn't picked his pocket at MSR!

Yeah I've heard a few people say this. Not so sure to be honest. If it affects him so much mentally then I guess his metal state is too weak to be a top pro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    I've just realised from seeing the photo below that Haussler was racing :shock:
    IMO there is more to his total lack of results that motivation and personal issues.

He did get a mention in the stage 1 results when he was 9th I believe but he certainly hasn't achieved what people would have expected in the past few seasons for whatever reason.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Off Topic. (Well the cycling has moved on through the Emirates to the Tour of Oman.)
    This may be of interest if you should go down that way. (or maybe stay on GB)

By James Gallagher Health and science reporter, BBC News
    Coronavirus The source of the virus is uncertain
    New 'Sars-like' virus identified
    A fifth person has died from a new respiratory illness similar to the Sars virus, according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO said the two latest deaths were in Jordan. The disease had previously been detected only in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, although one patient was transferred to the UK for treatment.
    It brings the total number of cases of the infection to nine.

There may also be evidence of human to human spread of the virus.
    It causes pneumonia and sometimes kidney failure.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972