Tour of Qatar *spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176

So Cavs won the Tour then?
    Yes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chiv30 wrote:
    Cheers all and it's great to see two Cardiff lads in the top 10. :)

Not really bothered about that myself, but whatever floats your boat :D
  • RichN95 wrote:

So Cavs won the Tour then?
    Yes

Superb!
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Turfle wrote:
    There's using someone else's train (which everyone does), and then there's the finding the one man that will unwittingly take you back to the front at the right time. Cav and Robbie McEwen are/were so good at the second.

Was just thinking exactly the same thing - and the fact you've already posted it will not stop me posting one of my rate moments of insight, dammit! ;)
    Always been surprised Cav's reputation of "being nothing without a train" persisted so long - he's always had that ability, and you're right, it's now at McEwen levels of awesome "Cloak of Invisibility" skillz.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • nevman wrote:
    Ren-dell,Ast-ArnNaa-really anoying me.Got to put a stop to this right now.

I think that's close to as it should be said? We are used to Astaaahna, but I think the emphasis should be on the 1st and last syllables.
  • ATC, you're dealing with FF here. If Sky riders had made the overall podium a la BMC, it would have been 'oh well, they only managed that because of the TTT.' FF's not very rational when it comes to Sky. Prepare for every single race that they dont win to result in FF 'Sky were rubbish, nowhere' ad nauseum.

Yes, I should have known better :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    nevman wrote:

I think that's close to as it should be said? We are used to Astaaahna, but I think the emphasis should be on the 1st and last syllables.

We've got a meeting arranged later to sort out "The McCrossan Issue" - we could factor some time in to consider Rendell's transgressions if you like? My personal take is that in virtually all other respects he's good, so on this occasion it might only warrant a Chinese-burn or a wedgie, or something... but we can put this to the vote.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hope this link works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVuzZE6HYE

... final 5km of today's stage.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    nevman wrote:

We've got a meeting arranged later to sort out "The McCrossan Issue" - we could factor some time in to consider Rendell's transgressions if you like? My personal take is that in virtually all other respects he's good, so on this occasion it might only warrant a Chinese-burn or a wedgie, or something... but we can put this to the vote.

I've added it to the agenda under 'Any Other Business' along with unauthorised flake eating while on the back of a motorbike.
  • Well done Cav!

Cue Cav loathers (dullards).
    Mens agitat molem
  • RonB wrote:
    Hope this link works...

Thanks for the link.

I'm not being funny, but the other sprinters must be so demoralised when they see Cav win from so far back.. Truly exceptional sprint from absolutely no where.
  • RonB wrote:
    Hope this link works...

Excellent - cheers for that.
    Mens agitat molem
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    nevman wrote:

I've added it to the agenda under 'Any Other Business' along with unauthorised flake eating while on the back of a motorbike.

No No No!!! Rendell is correct. No transgression. Perhaps a Kazakh medal of honour would be more apropriate and a little less painful than a Chinese-burn.

And show some compassion over the flake incident?
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng

Cavendish has now won more stage races than Andy Schleck

Unless you count the 2010 TdF, then they're equal. (AS won La Flèche du Sud in 2004, Cav won the Ster ZLM Tour last year)

Is inrng Alberto Contador??

Edit: OK it's actually "Cavendish has now won more stage races than Andy Schleck as a pro"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Goddam Stupid meeting!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Goddam Stupid meeting!!!
    Hey that's no way to talk about OCDuPalais and my's meeting about Ant McCrossan! :P There'll be biscuits and a flake and lessons on the proper pronunciation of the Kazakh capital and everything. :wink: Everyone's invited.

We need a name though. I'm going for Proper Pronunciation in Pro-cycling (PPP) Or P3. :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    nevman wrote:

No No No!!! Rendell is correct. No transgression. Perhaps a Kazakh medal of honour would be more apropriate and a little less painful than a Chinese-burn.

And show some compassion over the flake incident?

Commentators being correct* - or even informative and well researched, for that matter - is an irrelevance here. As, too, is rational thought, if I'm being honest. But when I'm throwing my slippers at the telly because some tosspot continues to pronounce something annoyingly at crucial moments - or misses the action at crucial moments - or can't identify a single rider in a breakaway before I've managed to name all of them; I'll readily admit that rationality at that instant isn't my strong point.

*although, if you and I were talking about Paris in English, we wouldn't pronounce it "pah-ree" would we?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,951
    Favourite for MSR now?

For sure we still need to see how he does in Tireno but if you were betting on the favourite today?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Commentators being correct* - or even informative and well researched, for that matter - is an irrelevance here. As, too, is rational thought, if I'm being honest. But when I'm throwing my slippers at the telly because some tosspot continues to pronounce something annoyingly at crucial moments - or misses the action at crucial moments - or can't identify a single rider in a breakaway before I've managed to name all of them; I'll readily admit that rationality at that instant isn't my strong point.

*although, if you and I were talking about Paris in English, we wouldn't pronounce it "pah-ree" would we?

Who knows Big Boy :evil:

Ok Ok I'll concede only because I had the same argument over the pronunciation of AG2R.

Lost that one too :oops:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Matt would say he pronounces the teams and the riders names how *they* pronounce them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Favourite for MSR now?

For sure we still need to see how he does in Tireno but if you were betting on the favourite today?

If 'he' means Cav, then apparently 'he' can't win it anymore. It's not his race. He's given up trying :wink:

He is looking very skinny... But I'm not sure going on T-A form will be that useful considering his past purposeful misdirection.

Could have done with a few more hills in Qatar really.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Matt would say he pronounces the teams and the riders names how *they* pronounce them...

That..........is making the effort and fair play, they don't all do that, and I can get used to it.

It winds Oc up tho'. It's not good for his blood pressure.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Comrades OC & ATC. Tabling an emergency motion, if that's OK? Chairman Phil must conduct a surprise inspection of the glue factory. He makes ITV Tour highlights (2012 great homework for the Comrade Froome: Can He Win Congress, in June) are unwatchable. The customary bizarre gardening accident should do the trick.

[Aware that this is not a new problem, but I'm a Eurosport man and was genuinely shocked at PL's race-craft, never mind the LA scandal.]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Hmm, didn't see anyone mention that number 1 and 2 in GC crashed today.

tour-qatar-stage-six-20130208-070547-933.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    MarkCavendish 3:48pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
    Amazing to have a race full of real gentlemen today, who neutralised a close race so I could rejoin the group after crashing. Thanks to all

Aside from the shocking revelation that OPQS budgetary limitations force Cav to slum it with a Blackberry, I love this aspect of the sport. It gets even better when Karma bites those who do not follow the honour code: Movistar at Tour last year for example.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Hmm, didn't see anyone mention that number 1 and 2 in GC crashed today.

tour-qatar-stage-six-20130208-070547-933.jpg
    The man himself mentioned it on twitter.
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish
    Amazing to have a race full of real gentlemen today, who neutralised a close race so I could rejoin the group after crashing. Thanks to all

Edit: Gah, tree'd!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Cav hasn't crashed - he's doing some burpees to give the others a chance (it didn't work)
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Aside from the shocking revelation that OPQS budgetary limitations force Cav to slum it with a Blackberry

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 3de7190d-9bbb-4236-8145-3e4b33f30b51_zpscc64b58d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 3de7190d-9bbb-4236-8145-3e4b33f30b51_zpscc64b58d.jpg

The world's top sprinter?