Edge 800 useless for anything it's designed for...

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Your random ramblings are so all over the place, are you a woman?
  • I think you're confusing "no-one being able to understand your point" with "your point not making any sense whatsoever"
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im still waiting for one of you guys to hit me with a valid argument.
    Between you, you must be able to muster up at least one point ?

From what started out as me making a very simple point about the fact that imo cyclists are sought out as an "easy target" for overpriced products we now have a warzone where the very people being abused are fighting for the aggressor.
    Its like the Genghis Khan scenario all over again where your not only told to accept whats happening but do it with a smile on your face and when we tell you, you will fight our battles to make others believe :)
    Kind of like the situation where people are drawn into cults.
    Living MY dream.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    VTech wrote:
    With Garmin, you can buy a satnav with city navigator for £79 yet to just have the city navigator software for the 800 costs £79 (retail).
    Thank you. We have finally got there. And as I thought you are talking bo**ocks.
    Firstly. The £79 unit is absolutely useless without the maps while the 800 will perform 90% of its function without. Many do not need or want it. For me the 800 is a top class cycle computer which I can swap between all my bikes and I can actually read without glasses. It is cheaper than 5 HR capable computers. The navigation is just a bonus that I am glad to have.
    Secondly. There are many Garmin mapping options available for the 800 so you have a choice. You are way out with the price too. 2 minutes on Google etc got me full Europe City Nav maps for £45.
    Thirdly. Because you have not got (and paid for) a load of maps you do not want you can put free, superior ones onto the unit.
  • VTech
    John.T wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    With Garmin, you can buy a satnav with city navigator for £79 yet to just have the city navigator software for the 800 costs £79 (retail).
    Thank you. We have finally got there. And as I thought you are talking bo**ocks.
    Firstly. The £79 unit is absolutely useless without the maps while the 800 will perform 90% of its function without. Many do not need or want it. For me the 800 is a top class cycle computer which I can swap between all my bikes and I can actually read without glasses. It is cheaper than 5 HR capable computers. The navigation is just a bonus that I am glad to have.
    Secondly. There are many Garmin mapping options available for the 800 so you have a choice. You are way out with the price too. 2 minutes on Google etc got me full Europe City Nav maps for £45.
    Thirdly. Because you have not got (and paid for) a load of maps you do not want you can put free, superior ones onto the unit.

You argued the same points as before and all are invalid. Ill explain why.

Firstly. The £79 unit is absolutely useless without the maps while the 800 will perform 90% of its function without. Many do not need or want it. For me the 800 is a top class cycle computer which I can swap between all my bikes and I can actually read without glasses. It is cheaper than 5 HR capable computers. The navigation is just a bonus that I am glad to have. ive never moaned about the other functions of the 800 or indeed that the 800 is poor value for money, in fact ive said that many times indeed. I only moaned about the software upgrade for nav, in fact we really shouldnt be discussing the 800 as its not something ive moaned about.

Secondly. There are many Garmin mapping options available for the 800 so you have a choice. You are way out with the price too. 2 minutes on Google etc got me full Europe City Nav maps for £45. I applied list price which was £79, it would be wrong to mention special offers or discounted prices when the Garmin site states £79

Thirdly. Because you have not got (and paid for) a load of maps you do not want you can put free, superior ones onto the unit. Thats a great point indeed but not one to argue against the issues I have made.

It seems im still waiting.
    Living MY dream.
  • IT'S NOT A BLOODY SAT NAV!!!
  • flasher
    Ahhh.......

You buy a Garmin for a car with preloaded maps (priced anywhere between £79 and £499), you buy a Garmin 800 (£299 + £33.99 UK mapping).

So total outlay for the 800 is £332.99 and for the car anywhere between £79 and £499 depending on features.

You go on a fly/drive/bike holiday to Australia, and want to use your Garmins the price to update the car sat nav is £119.99 and the price to update the 800 is also £119.99, what was the issue again, I forget.
  • VTech
    IT'S NOT A BLOODY SAT NAV!!!

No, I never said or suggested that.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Flasher wrote:
    Ahhh.......

You buy a Garmin for a car with preloaded maps (priced anywhere between £79 and £499), you buy a Garmin 800 (£299 + £33.99 UK mapping).

So total outlay for the 800 is £332.99 and for the car anywhere between £79 and £499 depending on features.

You go on a fly/drive/bike holiday to Australia, and want to use your Garmins the price to update the car sat nav is £119.99 and the price to update the 800 is also £119.99, what was the issue again, I forget.

Again, that isnt the argument or point im making. we really need to drop the whole issue of the 800 as its making you guys look real silly and I dont think you are. The point has been made, im not as amused by this as I was earlier as by now I would have thought one of you guys could have shown me what im missing.
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    Ahhh.......

Again, that isnt the argument or point im making.

In one sentence explain your issue?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I only moaned about the software upgrade for nav, in fact we really shouldnt be discussing the 800 as its not something ive moaned about.
    Then WTF are you even on this thread for. We sorted the OP who like many others jumped straight onto the forums instead of using the proper channels (which I for one can not fault in the UK at least) a few pages back. And it is not a software upgrade. It is an optional software purchase which you can choose whether to make or not. I chose not.
    Goodbye.
  • VTech
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    Ahhh.......

Again, that isnt the argument or point im making.

Thats difficult now because throughout this thread my opinion has changed.
    It started out as 2 points, 1) me wondering wether it is normal for cyclist to be overcharged and 2) wether it is widespread in the fact that this is/could be a market where they simply see people as willing to pay more than in other sectors.

I now truly believe that they (not garmin, but the product manufacturers) have many of you guys brainwashed into thinking that its right.
    At least in my industry everyone knows and realises they are getting ripped.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    John.T wrote:
    I only moaned about the software upgrade for nav, in fact we really shouldnt be discussing the 800 as its not something ive moaned about.
    Then WTF are you even on this thread for. We sorted the OP who like many others jumped straight onto the forums instead of using the proper channels (which I for one can not fault in the UK at least) a few pages back. And it is not a software upgrade. It is an optional software purchase which you can choose whether to make or not. I chose not.
    Goodbye.

John.T, I dont wish to be rude, lord knows I don't so ill leave it there as far as you are concerned.
    Living MY dream.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Whoa, some tension in the air today. At the end of the day there is always one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Read-Brita ... 917&sr=1-1

and maybe Garmin read this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Brand- ... 139&sr=1-1

good or bad it plays a big part in how the world turns these days. Luckily for you Aldi is your friend.
  • VTech
    lef wrote:
    Whoa, some tension in the air today. At the end of the day there is always one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Read-Brita ... 917&sr=1-1

and maybe Garmin read this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Brand- ... 139&sr=1-1

good or bad it plays a big part in how the world turns these days. Luckily for you Aldi is your friend.

This one is an inspiration;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses-About/dp/0887307280/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359823083&sr=1-1

Every thriving entrepreneur should either have the book or the CD of this.
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Have you met my wife :lol:
  • VTech
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Have you met my wife :lol:

I struggle with my own, Im so scared that I refuse to meet other peoples wife's :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    I have a VERY small understanding of economics, I employ more than 400 people. What some of you are failing to understand is

Hi Peter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I have a VERY small understanding of economics, I employ more than 400 people. What some of you are failing to understand is

Hi Peter!

I cant believe you are still wasting your time arguing with me, you really should come to terms with the fact that its futile.
    The Peter Principle is based on people being promoted, people rising to a point where they can no longer perform, in reality this could in fact be you but maybe not.
    You were never of capability in the first place.

Im sure your a nice fella, if you need help send me a pm, i could then be schizophrenic and revive this topic with an attempt to argue with myself for you :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • I'm still trying to work out which upgrade or add on you are complaining about. For the £79 road satnav a set of city navigator europe maps costs £75.99 for the 800 a similar (but not the same since one is for a bike) is £75.99 where is the rip off here? Yes the cheap road gps comes with city navigator UK maps (which cost £33.99 for the 800), but since the 800 is not intended to be a simple UK navigation system I see no reason for it to come with the UK maps.

So your argument seems to be that cyclists are being ripped off, but what exactly is it that we are being ripped off for?
  • VTech
    gloomyandy wrote:
    I'm still trying to work out which upgrade or add on you are complaining about. For the £79 road satnav a set of city navigator europe maps costs £75.99 for the 800 a similar (but not the same since one is for a bike) is £75.99 where is the rip off here? Yes the cheap road gps comes with city navigator UK maps (which cost £33.99 for the 800), but since the 800 is not intended to be a simple UK navigation system I see no reason for it to come with the UK maps.

So your argument seems to be that cyclists are being ripped off, but what exactly is it that we are being ripped off for?

Im actually not complaining, just making a point.
    I priced a sat nav for one of the work vans with city navigator installed together with speed camera detection and POI for £79, a great bargain.
    I then found that after buying the 800 it didnt have a usable sat nav although one of the selling points is that it does indeed have sat nav, the average Joe, (i.e me) would think that this would mean that the sat nav is actually usable.
    Now putting asside the fact that the 800 does far more than a simple sat nav due to the fact that ive never made mention of it being a bad device, i simply wanted to put in a post code (i know not many want to do this but I did) and found that this was not possible. I then tried to input 3 well known addresses on the main road route and it didnt find them which rendered the sat nav part of the software bundle (notice how im not knocking the 800 here folks) so I asked people here for assistance and was pointed to a site where I could download them for free and having installed the maps I found that I still couldn't add post codes so I asked the question and was told that only buying genuine garmin city navigator would allow this function so I went online and found that they want to charge me £79 for the privilege so of course, as a man who likes to make sure all is well in the world I questioned the fact that the map update was the very same price as a road sat nav with the same software (road equivalent) included within the price.
    I then look at other areas of the cycling fraternity only to discover the very same.
    Im all for buy/sell but in most areas of the market there is far more "realism"

Anyway, the above isnt the issue im interested in anymore, the far greater issue is how many of you have been brainwashed into thinking this is right.
    Its not that I feel sorry for you, I just want to know how its done so I can come and grab your cash whilst you bend over and take it with a smile on your face.
    Living MY dream.
  • A good story except the update to give you want you want is actually £33.99... Which is not the same price as the road navigator... As far as I can tell the only map upgrade that costs £79 is for Eastern Africa, but let's not let the facts get in the way...
  • VTech
    gloomyandy wrote:
    A good story except the update to give you want you want is actually £33.99... Which is not the same price as the road navigator... As far as I can tell the only map upgrade that costs £79 is for Eastern Africa, but let's not let the facts get in the way...

I can see where you get that from but its always going to be an issue with a thread this long, people are not going to want to read the entire thing.
    I work in the UK around 2 weeks per month, the other 2 anywhere in the world that will have me so I was referring to the £79 update. If I were referring to the £39 one I would have said £39, not £79.

This is the link to the item Garmin support told me to buy. It was actually $109 earlier in the week.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=6299
    Living MY dream.
  • Except the £79 Garmin road GPS has UK only mapping not the European ones, so the comparison does not really stand. Oh and it is £33.99 not £39 pounds. To update the road GPS to European mapping will cost £75.99 the same as the 800.
  • VTech
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Except the £79 Garmin road GPS has UK only mapping not the European ones, so the comparison does not really stand. Oh and it is £33.99 not £39 pounds. To update the road GPS to European mapping will cost £75.99 the same as the 800.

Here's the thing, the Halfords offer was with GB maps and free european update, the only thing you needed was a new memory card of which we have several.
    Living MY dream.
  • None of which you bothered to tell us about, but were happy to tell others to ignore special offers (on the web) and only use the garmin pricing.
  • VTech
    gloomyandy wrote:
    None of which you bothered to tell us about, but were happy to tell others to ignore special offers (on the web) and only use the garmin pricing.

The Garmin website didnt mention sale price, nor did the halfords sale of the sat nav. I simply stated fact, without question or error.
    I really think the software is not the issue, do you agree ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Jesus wept. When you've filled up 5 and a half pages and still no-one understands the point you're trying to make, there are 2 options:

1. Your point doesn't make any sense whatsoever
    2. You are fundamentally incapable of explaining your point

Which is it?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Hi Peter!

I cant believe you are still wasting your time arguing with me

I'm not arguing with you, you've posted more bolleaux on here in 2 weeks than most people manage in 2 years.
  • VTech wrote:
    [Anyway, the above isnt the issue im interested in anymore, the far greater issue is how many of you have been brainwashed into thinking this is right.

None, as you are simply comparing two entirely different devices and its you who cannot see it. One is designed for a bike; light, compact, adjustable, tracking features, heart rate monitoring, cadence reporting, self contained, water proof. The other is designed at lowest cost with a rubbish GPS, external power supply and unable to cope with being outside a car, recording anything or taking any knocks.
    VTech wrote:
    Its not that I feel sorry for you, I just want to know how its done so I can come and grab your cash whilst you bend over and take it with a smile on your face.

As long as we can watch you being thrown out of a car showroom for demanding that you be given a 4x4 Land Rover for the price of a Smart Car or when you whine about the Smart Car being wrecked as soon as you take it off road..... ;)