Andy Schleck: Chapeau

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Erm...I actually have no problem with this theory...fact is there's nothing I'd put past Bruyneel
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I really miss him. Really hoping he can find that form.

270-RTR2NS3F.jpg
    259-IMG_7025.jpg
    300-RTR2GBF4.jpg

One two ding dong with his brother back with a vengeance.
    dc510d0c6fd604a794686a56fd1ec91b-ge.jpg

Bring. It. On.

I also miss Basso.
    "I cannot wait. I'm glad that Alberto will also be [in Catalonia]. He's a cyclist who I respect very much. At the 2010 Tour, he knocked me out in the first round. I'm ready to rebound. Of course Contador is Contador and when he attacks it hurts, but this time, I will start a beaten man," added Basso.

"Last year, I went to the Tour in France tired from the Giro d'Italia. This time, I have the head, the legs and the heart. We'll see who is the strongest. It is not enough to be half-ready, it will be a full-on affair in Andorra. I'll have the same fight as a bull in a bullfight. Yes, it will be the first real and anticipated challenge between us."

toadd-3.jpg

Definitely feel sorry for those that have only started watching the sport in the last 1-3 years. Those were the days of tingle inducing racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Basso was hardly the reason for that. I wouldn't have Basso as 'your kind of rider', French.
  • frenchfighter
    Not my best rider but he is King of the Race Face and he knows how to attack when he has the legs. He knows what the fans want also. He is adored in Italy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Has anyone pointed out to Basso that the bull usually ends the fight slumped on the floor with a sword in its neck. Metophorically Basso will enx thd Tour in a similar state.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    The final result doesnt really matter. The journey is much more exciting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    Quite interesting, this.

Translated through Google but should be readable.

*hundedyr - expensive

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 002606.ece
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The final result doesnt really matter. The journey is much more exciting.

It does if you're the Bull. All that panache and you still end up on someone's plate as a sirloin. Heavyweight bummer.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792

Nothing new there.

With the exception of the Worlds, every race post Tour is just a way to salvage a disastrous season.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He needs to at least show himself at the Tour, even if it's just getting in a few breaks. Outside of hardcore cycling fans, nobody really cares about the Vuelta. If Andy can't motivate himself for the Tour, then no way is he going to do it at the Vuelta. He showed some good signs in California, never looked like winning much, but at least looked like he was trying.

He's done diddly squat since the 2011 Tour, even the most patient of team managers is going to get fed up at some point, and the teams needs new sponsors, even if Trek is going to take over as main sponsor.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    In all fairness to him, the progress he has made since January has been really good. The mountains jersey could be a possibility?
  • thomthom
    Really good? What is that based on exactly? 1 attack in Cali?

As the link I posted above explains, Jakob calls him lazy and a person who's not doing what it takes (stuff we already knew). I have no sympathy for Andy.. Besides, I have a second idea of why he's not performing particularly well. It doesn't include 'injuries'...

For the sake of entertaining cycling I, of course, hope he gets back to a level that is not as embarrassing as it is now. But that means he needs to cut the injury excuses and start training. Not sure he wants to do that..
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    I don't often agree with FF's posts but I'm also missing AS. I hope he gets back to his best as the more genuine (clean) GC contenders, the better.
  • Richmond Racer
    Remarkable wrote:
    In all fairness to him, the progress he has made since January has been really good. The mountains jersey could be a possibility?

To stand any chance of being in the race for the spotty jersey, he'd have to be consistent, stage after stage. There's precious evidence of that so far.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Remarkable wrote:

To stand any chance of being in the race for the spotty jersey, he'd have to be consistent, stage after stage. There's precious evidence of that so far.

I've not seen it :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    Remarkable wrote:

I've not seen it :lol:

Bugger, you've got me

...PRECIOUS LITTLE EVIDENCE...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Hard not to expect more of the same, unless his TdS form dramatically improves. Go backwards when the road goes up, then get into breaks on days where the break has no chance.

It's quite dispiriting watching someone recover so slowly.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,826
    He departed through the rear door very early, yesterday.
    Hope he didn't peak at the 4th GT.

The Tour needs every protagonist it can get.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    ThomThom wrote:
    Really good? What is that based on exactly? 1 attack in Cali?

As the link I posted above explains, Jakob calls him lazy and a person who's not doing what it takes (stuff we already knew). I have no sympathy for Andy.. Besides, I have a second idea of why he's not performing particularly well. It doesn't include 'injuries'...

For the sake of entertaining cycling I, of course, hope he gets back to a level that is not as embarrassing as it is now. But that means he needs to cut the injury excuses and start training. Not sure he wants to do that..

From being dropped in the early season races to placing 41 st in Liege I think, 1.20 down on Dan Martin and 6 seconds behind Froome, a decent prologue in Switzerland, a decent ride in yesterdays stage 54th @ 3.32? and some attacking in California as you mentioned.
    I'm not saying he is setting the world on fire, but it is progress!

He was the KOM in Switzerland in 2011, and he wasn't very consistent then? I remember there was a big deal made of his bad days when he lost a lot of time.
    A good ride on a couple of the big mountain days helped Voeckler last year. So it is a possibility. :wink:
  • thomthom
    Okay, we can call it a form of progression. I can live with that.

Although I think you a digging very deep here finding that progression. It's definitely not a 'very good' progression, though. ;)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Anyone know why he lost 17 mins today?
  • rich_pcp
    rich_pcp Posts: 113
    cos he climbs like my granny these days
  • Richmond Racer
    ThomThom wrote:
    Okay, we can call it a form of progression. I can live with that.

Although I think you a digging very deep here finding that progression. It's definitely not a 'very good' progression, though. ;)

Hope springs eternal for remarkable... :)
  • Richmond Racer

One minute he was near the front on that cat 1 climb near the finish, the next it was goodnight Vienna
  • inkyfingers
    Surely it was "Goodnight Geneva?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    9020379704_31c67da768_o.jpg

Andy ('s bus) gives his message. :)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Another page has turned. He won't be a player at the Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    I'm a fan, even if he is struggling.

Maybe that's why I like him.

He has something of the Jan Ullrich about him, to me anyway. And I really like the way he rides a bike and races.

But he doesn't owe me or fans much, nor does he need the cash, let's be honest.

The team, maybe.

Can't be easy to be that talented and have success that young. We just assume if you have the legs you can hold it together mentally. I have come across a lot of people in my work who really make it at the top of their industry and mentally blow out after a few years. Some never really recover, some do but not in their field. Some make it back fine.
  • inkyfingers
    True, my ambitions at 28 were a world away from my ambitions when I was 21.