*Tour of Sufferlandria* - Get on those turbos!

Comments

• jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    MarkP80 wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:
    Decided to buy the long scream as tt's are my thang anyway. Really enjoyed it(ok it was turned down :D )
    Looking forward to doing it full bore when i'm rested.
    - are you mad Matt?!?!
    Just did The Wretched followed straight away by TLS, both at 90%. That was absolute torture! Scream would be tough enough on its own, but after Wretched..... Well, I personally had to dig pretty deep to get to the end.
    Still, onward and upward - another stage completed!
    Cheers,
    MarkP

Fair play doing them back to back! I will be doing long scream first thing tomorrow before work, gonna stick with 95%, not looking forward to it! I find the interval style workouts much easier to deal with, you just count yourself down into the recovery period, Long Scream is pretty much FTP for 30 solid min with about the most unfresh legs I have ever had. Home straight once I get through that, gonna be much easier to fit rides in at the weekend. Bonne chance!
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Well done thus far every one, two thirds of the way through now. Have got some motivation from the thread to stick in and just finished today's double.

Don't have trainer road as I went in to buy a Garmin 810 from my insurance payout and left wih a cyclocross bike :twisted: so it's my first try on the videos with a wired cadence and heart rate monitor. Averaging 22-26 miles with heart rates in the going of 168 max 150 ish average. Hope this doesn't qualify me as a slacker as I don't want my sufferlandrian passport taken from me. The shame would be too much!!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Packing in the porridge as I speak from the 'motorhome' not far from todays Queen stage.
    My instructions are to go 100% for first part of the stage then to rein it in at 90% for that downhill run to the finish line where rumour has it that riders are going to fired up the road about 16 times and it's muggins' job to pull them back each time and all for Sufferlandrian tourist board summer marketing campaign.
    YAWPGed.jpg
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited February 2013
    JGSI wrote:
    Packing in the porridge as I speak from the 'motorhome' not far from todays Queen stage.
    My instructions are to go 100% for first part of the stage then to rein it in at 90% for that downhill run to the finish line where rumour has it that riders are going to fired up the road about 16 times and it's muggins' job to pull them back each time and all for Sufferlandrian tourist board summer marketing campaign.

Good luck on today's two stage event. Just under two hours before officially the peloton starts, although I'm told the start is usually late. Time to get stretching!

Our start will be a little later.

Had my pre race fuel about 1.5 hrs ago. The sponsors have demanded 6 hours of meetings prior to the start of the race, since our team is pretty unknown and we haven't been doing too well in the Tour so far... so they are just looking to maximise their visibility.
    We have been with the press for 1 hr so far, so have another 5 hrs of back to back discussions to go. Our plan for today is to go 90% for the first half of the race, and maybe 95% for the second.
    The last stage tomorrow is supposed to be pretty tough, so team orders have been to keep some reserve back on today stages as the teams battle for overall standings, and go 100% on the final stage. Not sure I agree with the tactics, but it seems our sponsors are dictating tactics for our team, but for their own interests :-)
    Simon
  • jotko
    Just bagged Long Scream - really enjoyed that one, the video really helps, and once I had my rhythm I was properly racing lol

Broke loads of records with that ride

New 10, 15,20, 30 min power records, and I even managed a sprint finish that got me new 5,10,and 20 second power records.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/192013

Work now though, ooof.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Set the alarm for 5am this morning and managed to get Wretched and the Long Scream out the way before work. I took it easy always trying to stay just on power without going too fast in anticipation of a tough day tomorrow.
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/191939
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/191962

Not long to go now!
  • springtide9
    So close now, can almost touch the finish!

Both at roughly 95%...

Stage 8

There Is No Try
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/192428

Revolver
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/192759

Have a good evening everybody... if you can..

And this made me laugh...
    http://www.thesufferfest.com/suffer-sto ... erlandria/

A few quotes:

…Sufferlandrian Airlines checks suitcases of courage free of charge.
    …the wedding day tradition includes the exchange of rings. BIG RINGS!
    …GDP is Gross Domestic Pain.
    …lives an old man who claimes he once rode with a tailwind, but nobody believes him.
    …nobody can walk up stairs
    …political party affiliations are identified by team jerseys and elections are determined by time trials.
    …everyone can hear you scream.

Simon
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Good work today peeps.

Can almost smell the end now, did have a look at the last stage and its 1h20mins ouch.
    Got back from work at 7pm...

there is no tryhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/193013 @90% not too bad

Revolverhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/193014 @85% took one look and turne it down some more 16 freakin intervals Jaysus.

Getting sore in the between here and there area from so many consecutive days.

Pretty tired- heart rate quite low on todays rides, even tho' it felt like i was P U S H I N G :D

Early night for me.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Looks almost nice enough to go out for a bike ride today.....
  • springtide9
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

It does.... but it's the last day of the tour for me!

Even if I wanted to ride outside, I have one child to look after... so it's suffertime!
    Simon
  • jotko
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing, nice and sunny in Bristol. Must try to banish such ridiculous thoughts.

Just did Downward spiral with 30 min to spare so still in the mix. Beer and Chinese last night didn't exactly help, I am going to read the Raisins thread from start to finish as punishment.

Nearly there!
  • bobinski
    I cut it fine too with Downward spiral so much so I started with an elevated heart rate!
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/194036

For those about to finish today I salute you. Above and beyond the call of duty and all that!
  • jgsi
    Just a bit of light spinning today... when I finished the double stage yesterday, I wondered how many realised that the lst one was 16 thru and offs at stupid intensity. :lol:

The final stage tomorrow will done about tea time.. and got a small peloton together to finish it in style at the place I work.

keep at it guys so nearly there!
  • springtide9
    Its over! At last, finally.... the suffering is over. Found the initial intervals pretty hard.. seems to take a little time for the stiffness to disappear, and seem to recover a little by the end.

I have the turbo in the attic bedroom, do have the roof window open with my head pretty much outside... does that could as a road ride?

Anyway, final stage...

Stage 9: Local Hero
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/194165

If the weather holds, might try and get outside for a little spin to clear the legs a little.

Good luck to everyone.... keep it going. The 1h22m seems daunting at the start, especially these initial 6m intervals. but found the later intervals easier.
    Simon
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Thats me done as well. Was hoping to post on here that i'd smashed it. Err no, started at 100% dropped to 90 at ~20 mins, then had to drop to 85 at ~44mins. My calves felt all pumped at the end.

Local herohttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/194266
    Oh yeah managed to smash th last 2 min interval tho' :lol: got a medal :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the 2 days off, loads of stretching and feet up.

Good luck to all, you have to finish now you've got this far. 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • jgsi
    Had to do final stage just.... at 90% but done!
    Going to check my CTL this evening should be a big hole of training stress
  • bobinski
    Well done both of you!

2 more for me today on top of this mornings effort...
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/194896
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/19511

I did them in the wrong order.Well and truly knackered after Revolver and just about kept going for There is no try. Apart from when my headphone cable got caught in my left crank-doh! Really hoping I can put in a good final effort tomorrow.
  • jotko
    Just did Revolver at 95%, legs were feeling Downward Spiral earlier, after about the 4th interval I asked myself 'why am I doing this?' lol. Managed to MTFU and actually felt pretty good at the end.

I have to do 'there is no try' tomorrow morning to stay in and then will try and finish on Sunday evening.
  • springtide9
    edited February 2013
    JGSI wrote:

From Training Peaks..

For me, ACL has gone from 49 to 56
    Interestingly, my TSB is only -11 ; I should have a positive TSB by Wednesday.

Maybe we need to make this like the TDF; three weeks rather than one? :lol:
    Simon
  • jgsi
    JGSI wrote:

From Tarining Peaks..

using Golden Cheetah, long term stress 89 , up 10 and stress balance -30

More turbo this week as weather window closing again, hopefully better for next Sunday .. reliability run over from Sundorne.
    I am getting just a touch of cabin fever.
  • springtide9
    JGSI wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

From Tarining Peaks..

using Golden Cheetah, long term stress 89 , up 10 and stress balance -30

More turbo this week as weather window closing again, hopefully better for next Sunday .. reliability run over from Sundorne.
    I am getting just a touch of cabin fever.

I guess this shows how 'rested' (lazy) I was prior to the start of the tour :D
    My TSB was consistently around 80+ prior to mid December :(
    Simon
  • jotko
    Did 'there is not try first' thing - only one more stage left, I think I might actually be going to make it :)

Still, not there yet, local hero later, going to download the video for that one I think, I think I have earned it.

The tour has been a brilliant motivational tool, as has this thread, no way I would have worked as hard as I have otherwise.
  • jgsi
    Anyone else fell into post tour 'slump'?
    I did 90 minutes of just feeble light spin and I was knackered.
  • bobinski
    JGSI wrote:
    Anyone else fell into post tour 'slump'?
    I did 90 minutes of just feeble light spin and I was knackered.

I am having a pre end of Tour slump if that counts?!?
    I think 3 sessions yesterday have taken their toll and so I will be getting up early tomorrow to finish. I will let you know then though I think I already know the answer :wink:
  • jotko
    Just finished - http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/198237

Nine days ago I had only used the turbo 4 times in my life and had never done a sufferfest video, now I feel like a veteran ha ha. Managed the whole tour at 95%, and I can honestly say if I hadn't bought a massive fan half way through I would never have made it to the end. Best £30 I have ever spent. A couple of days rest and then I will do the 20 minute test and see where I am.

Good luck anyone with rides still to go, I am off for a shower and a well earned beer!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Finished this evening. Rest day tomorrow well received.
    Rich
  • springtide9
    I'm getting withdraw symptoms
    Part 2?

Week 2 of 3

Day 1, Monday:
    A Very Dark Place (53m)
    Extra Shot (22m)

Day 2, Tuesday:
    Angels (1h4m)

Day 3, Wednesday:
    Downward Spiral (1h2m)
    Fight Club (1h)

Day 4, Thursday:
    Hell Hath No Fury (1h15m)

Day 5, Friday:
    Revolver (49m)
    The Hunted (1h1m)

Day 6, Saturday: [optional, if the weather is good and options to ride outdoors is available!]
    Local Hero (1h25m)

Points...
    IF for the ride is the baseline.
    For every 0.01 above the IF = 1 point
    For every 0.01 below the IF = -1 point

Not going to do a FTP test this week, but will push my FTP to 310 (as that's where I believe it is based on some of the effort from last week)

Anyone interested? [planning on doing it anyway]
    Simon
  • bobinski
    Finished!
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/198792

I have actually enjoyed doing the Tour as well despite moments where I questioned my sanity.

Anyone else pick up any niggling injuries? Half way through the tour i realised my saddle had somehow been knocked no more than 3 mm to the left. The little bit of extra pressure has left me in some discomfort in an area top of the back of my left leg most noticeable during recovery stages. So, will take a few days off the bike and then may just do it all over again...

well done to all who took part!
  • jgsi
    Nothing to report.. but then again I have been doing turbo miles ad nauseam for months now.
    I think my project for February is going to be 'hours in the saddle'. See if I can breach the 50 hour mark... the 42 in January is the closest I have been.
    Sundays will be hopefully spent on reliabilities but it is all weather dependent.
    I am running one machine at the moment which is my race bike and dont have the nerve to chance it in anything but reasonable conditions and certainly not salt encrusted wet roads.
    My component bill is high enough with a spring rebuild in the offing!
    So here is to Sufferlandria, fi zi k Arione saddles and Trainer Road. :D
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Finished it myself this morning...I think I may be one of the last few stragglers being pulled by the team car!

I cannot see any rides of hero later than mine. Checked the update screen and was glad to see I made it - was really annoyed when I had to take a courier delivery (felt some pity for the guy who had to take a signature of a sweaty man in only bibs and a HRM!)

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/198850
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra