UCI Indy Comm

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^They were civilised compared to the surreal McQuaid letter in response to Fahey's note. Think we can put to bed any fanciful notions of UCI genius after this.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Jesus. H. Christ. On. A. Bike.

This is a train-wreck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I go out for an evening....

WTF is going on here??
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    What a depressing mess... I feel sorry for the poor pros about to be sweating their way around Qatar while this almighty balls-up (plus Fuentes) sucks up all the media oxygen... why don't the UCI ever pause for thought before issuing the next kneejerk press release?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Why don't the UCI ever pause for thought....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Anyone want to guess what a TRC would cost? I reckon in the region of 10-15m euro

No one is looking good in this mess

I still fail to see what the TRC would achieve. Ok, so riders won't talk without an amnesty, so doesn't that give them a clue where the problem is? The WADA code makes provision for reduced sanctions based on information. Why is that not good enough? It was good enough for USADA
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    When people say "riders" do they mean "riders today" or "retired riders"
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    The TRC is still inherently problematic. Just look at the legal implications for Armstrong for a clue, very few of them have any solid link to sanctions from USADA. You can tell all without being sanctioned for it, but the lawyers willstill be knocking on your door.

I also don't really see how the TRC/Amnesty requirement from USADA/WADA/CCN had any real relevance to the investigation of Armstrong's relationship with the UCI, which was the basic remit of the UCIIC. The riders that could have been implicated have largely been implicated already, and I'm sure we're not talking about an amnesty for e.g. dodgy lab leadership.

Let's not fail to mention that one of the points of the UCIIC's own terms of reference was (paraphrased) "should we allow ex dopers in cycling". A TRC clearly pre-judges that.

The UCI handed the UCIIC a very difficult task, but it wasn't impossible. It wasn't the task that CCN, for example, wanted them to carry out, so they knifed it in the back.

I'm not a fan of the idea of a TRC and don't want it just pulled out of a hat as if it were the be all and end all to cycling's problems. I can support reduction in sanctions for whistleblowers, but the idea that all past misdemeanours can just be negated, free of charge, is frankly shoddy. I've had enough of the "I made a mistake", "a big boy did it and ran away" bullshit, I just want to say "you doped, you cheated, it wasn't a mistake, it was entirely intentional, nobody made me you it, you had other choices". The institutionalised rejection of responsibility is almost as frightening as the institutionalised doping that preceded it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    The institutionalised rejection of responsibility is almost as frightening as the institutionalised doping that preceded it.

Think one followed the other really! Agree with you completely though.

For the majority of commentators, it's much more about wanting current riders to confess so they can write stories about it. We now have 4 of cycling's powerhouses investigating the EPO era (Spain (ahem), Italy, Belgium and Netherlands) so we re going to find out enough to prevent doping in the future sooner or later...
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

That is really excellent. I'm not Benson's biggest fan, but there's more truth in that article than any of myriad of interviews and press releases coming out as people show their true colours, and are more interested in willy waving than the future of the sport
  • Macaloon
    edited January 2013
    iainf72 wrote:
    I still fail to see what the TRC would achieve. Ok, so riders won't talk without an amnesty, so doesn't that give them a clue where the problem is? The WADA code makes provision for reduced sanctions based on information. Why is that not good enough? It was good enough for USADA

USADA also had the small matter of testimony to Feds to loosen tongues: making their insistence on TRC more baffling.

The UCI's pronouncements are obviously off-planet-incompetent. This is not new. What might be is the scorched-earth approach to unseating UCI hi-hats by WUSSADA. They seemingly sabotaged the Indy Comm rather than working with it. Their panacea is an ill-defined and unaffordable TRC. And they've managed the impossible: generating some sympathy for the UCI.

You might think they're deliberately causing carnage in cycling to divert attention from inadequacies elsewhere, and to further personal political careers.

Edit: Or maybe they're as f$$k'd up as most governing bodies and think this is the best way forward. Either is bad.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Didn't the UCI deny amnesty to any former or current UCI employees? That's what I understood!
  • Macaloon
    andi1363 wrote:
    Didn't the UCI deny amnesty to any former or current UCI employees? That's what I understood!

KenBobPryde: @dnlbenson UCI lawyers offered ex- and current UCI employees (and financial officers) full immunity from "retribution" at Law Society meet.

That's according to Mr Biscuit Tin Media: a voice of reason in this mess.
  • And WTF Mr Skins Fuller is cited in l'Equipe as wanting Andrei Tchmil to replace Fat Pat

I've heard everything now :evil:

EDIT: Fuller says l'Equipe not speaking the truth there

EDIT (2): there's some right old monkey business going on. L'Equipe standing by their article.
  • Macaloon
    EDIT the third: L'Equipe expose Fuller as shadowy figure drumming up publicity for a bizarre tight socks and trousers (TM iainF) scam
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    @RaceRadio
    UCI promising big announcement at 5:15 CET that will make cycling fans happy. "Pat and Hein stepping down" happy or "free beer" happy?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    @RaceRadio
    UCI promising big announcement at 5:15 CET that will make cycling fans happy. "Pat and Hein stepping down" happy or "free beer" happy?
    I think he might have his happiness scale the wrong way round. The only thing that tops free beer is free BJs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • It had better not be that World Series cycling bo&*ocks
  • Macaloon
    UCI ‏@UCI_cycling
    .... about live coverage of UCI events

About 15 mins after 1st msg this^. UCI HQ has cracked open their cache of weed and mushrooms confiscated from Dutch Corner.
  • so they've launched a UCI youtube channel and are going to broadcast live World road, track, BMX and CX events...

....to those countries that dont have already have TV coverage of them

Well that's quite enough excitement from Aigle for one day
  • so they've launched a UCI youtube channel and are going to broadcast live World road, track, BMX and CX events...

....to those countries that dont have already have TV coverage of them

Well that's quite enough excitement from Aigle for one day

One more for Twitter's "Broken Clock" approach to breaking big news.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Presumably we can all watch them too...it won't be country controlled

Have to say guys, given the situation with the Tour of Qatar, that actually sounds like a good thing! Fair play! the coverage of the MTB ing in this way has been quite successful (given it's small market).

You can now watch Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Paris Nice and nearly every other race save the Tour without having to subscribe to Eurosport in the UK.

If this happens without the usual BS from the UCI then that's a great move. F11ck it means we won't have to watch Phil and Paul!!!!
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Expect restrictions en masse anyway...
  • ddraver wrote:
    Presumably we can all watch them too...it won't be country controlled

Have to say guys, given the situation with the Tour of Qatar, that actually sounds like a good thing! Fair play! the coverage of the MTB ing in this way has been quite successful (given it's small market).

You can now watch Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Paris Nice and nearly every other race save the Tour without having to subscribe to Eurosport in the UK.

If this happens without the usual BS from the UCI then that's a great move. F11ck it means we won't have to watch Phil and Paul!!!!

Dont get carried away - its not World Tour races, its World Champs and World Cups

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1
  • ddraver
    Oh...ok then

Well rub me out and colour me ambivalent
    - @ddraver
  • Disappointed of Dutchy land (expat)'
  • I'm guessing it won't have any commentary, just whatever ambient sounds the motorbike/helicopter picks up. First tryout this weekend with the cyclocross World Championships.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Good peice by inrng:

http://inrng.com/2013/01/truth-and-reconciliation/

Makes the very good point, how can the uci be trusted with T+R when they leak private emails as it suits them
  • I hate to defend PM but Fahey was telling a porkie or two. Not condoning what Pat did - to be honest, I think they've both been acting in a ridiculous way - but Pat went a bit coyote in defence.

EDIT: but I agree, the current leadership couldnt be trusted with T&R in a month of Sundays