UCI Indy Comm

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    What needs to happen is for Pat McQuaid, John Fahey and Travis Tygart to get round a table, drop their trousers and flop their knobs out to see who's got the biggest. Because at the moment none of them actually seem to want to do anything constructive, they just want to posture and mark their territory.

Tygart not doing anything constructive?

That's rdiculous.
    Since the Armstrong decision, what has he done? He's just unhelpfully inserting himself into a situation which no longer concerns him and telling the press about juicy evidence which he somehow forgot to put in his original report to keep his profile up while he positions himself for a new job. He doesn't give a toss about cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This may be misplaced, apologies, but it's thread chaos out there, and since it's the T&R Express that has derailed the IC...

I think Brailsford has a perfectly reasonable sporting reason to be against T&R full stop. Why should his team be at a disadvantage in recruiting experienced, albeit tainted, DS/coaches/medics/riders compared to his competitors? Hence his 'doping should have consequences'. Given his competitive nature it would seem unlikely that he expresses a controversial opinion with a solely altruistic motive.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Brailsford has not said he's against it. That's a lazy eye-grabbing headline opted for by some of the media. What he did do was to ask what are the intended outcomes, what's going to be done with all the confessions pooled together, to prevent doping in the future.

These are valid questions that no one else in the sport is asking (apart from a couple of journos). When it comes to team heads, the other 16 ProTour team heads are saying nothing, and the 17th, Vaughters, wants everyone to confess because he did and the Garmin USADA 3 did (eventually).
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    What needs to happen is for Pat McQuaid, John Fahey and Travis Tygart to get round a table, drop their trousers and flop their knobs out to see who's got the biggest. Because at the moment none of them actually seem to want to do anything constructive, they just want to posture and mark their territory.

That's rdiculous.
    Since the Armstrong decision, what has he done? He's just unhelpfully inserting himself into a situation which no longer concerns him and telling the press about juicy evidence which he somehow forgot to put in his original report to keep his profile up while he positions himself for a new job. He doesn't give a toss about cycling.

I respect Tygart a huge amount for what he's done on Armstrong etc. However, I've been less impressed with his frequent interviews and appearances in recent weeks. With all respect, where are USADA pushing for the dates for the Bruyneel etc appeals so that they can finally be disposed of? Where is the following up on the likes of Kevin Livingstone and all the others named in the USADA report, names redacted or not? And where some of that is linked to the Bruyneel etc appeals, then all the more reason to be pushing for those appeal hearings to be held. And where is the aggressive pursuit of dopers in the junior/U23/amateur ranks in the US - which I hear is a bit of an issue.
  • Macaloon
    edited January 2013
    Brailsford has not said he's against it. That's a lazy eye-grabbing headline opted for by some of the media. What he did do was to ask what are the intended outcomes, what's going to be done with all the confessions pooled together, to prevent doping in the future.

These are valid questions that no one else in the sport is asking (apart from a couple of journos). When it comes to team heads, the other 16 ProTour team heads are saying nothing, and the 17th, Vaughters, wants everyone to confess because he did and the Garmin USADA 3 did (eventually).

I agree. I forgot to embolden '... against T&R full stop.' Meaning reconciliation is meaningless without corrective action.

Also with you on nauseating double-jointed quadruple-standards of most media observers ignoring the non-Sky/Garmin team principals.

EDIT: And I think he has a valid point about his disadvantage in recruiting from a tiny pool of experienced talent vs his competition.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Macaloon wrote:
    Brailsford has not said he's against it. That's a lazy eye-grabbing headline opted for by some of the media. What he did do was to ask what are the intended outcomes, what's going to be done with all the confessions pooled together, to prevent doping in the future.

I agree. I forgot to embolden '... against T&R full stop.' Meaning reconciliation is meaningless without corrective action.

Also with you on nauseating double-jointed quadruple-standards of most media observers ignoring the non-Sky/Garmin team principals.

I do like a bit of bold formatting, me :wink:

'EDIT: And I think he has a valid point about his disadvantage in recruiting from a tiny pool of experienced talent vs his competition'

Agreed. Galling.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I tried to post twice on the train this morning, but the BR login was being gay and wouldn't let me post :(

Any way, just wanted to say that I heard on 5Live this morning that the Independent Commission has been ditched by the UCI because WADA weren't interested and the UCI didn't want to have to bear the costs alone, particularly when no rider would cooperate without an amnesty and it was unlikely to improve the image of cycling.

Apparently they are now setting up a Truth & Reconciliation Committee.

Apologies if this has been posted already.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's rdiculous.
    Since the Armstrong decision, what has he done? He's just unhelpfully inserting himself into a situation which no longer concerns him and telling the press about juicy evidence which he somehow forgot to put in his original reportto keep his profile up while he positions himself for a new job. He doesn't give a toss about cycling.

It's not his job to give a toss about cycling. The juicy evidence that apparently doesn't concern him... dead threats and donations to USADA.. has been delivered to the higher authorities - which is why Tygart won't name names or give further details about it. That, you can see here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50139841n

And this UCI commission should never be on USADA's desk anyway. But WADA and UCI are unfortunately incapeable of doing anything themselves. But this was never a commission that UCI wanted to get anything out of anyway. No other anti doping organizations were ever going to get anything out of it. Not even USADA. It was just another PR-trick from UCI. Fortunately it will bite them later on.
    RichN95 wrote:
    to keep his profile up while he positions himself for a new job. He doesn't give a toss about cycling.
    Well, that's a postulate if there ever was one.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's rdiculous.

I respect Tygart a huge amount for what he's done on Armstrong etc. However, I've been less impressed with his frequent interviews and appearances in recent weeks. With all respect, where are USADA pushing for the dates for the Bruyneel etc appeals so that they can finally be disposed of? Where is the following up on the likes of Kevin Livingstone and all the others named in the USADA report, names redacted or not? And where some of that is linked to the Bruyneel etc appeals, then all the more reason to be pushing for those appeal hearings to be held. And where is the aggressive pursuit of dopers in the junior/U23/amateur ranks in the US - which I hear is a bit of an issue.

We all know next to nothing about how the procedures work. This is a huge case. I seems like you guys expect this to move perfectly smooth and on schedule. That's obviously totally unrealistic. Lance's admission and his willingness to cooperate surely is the most important thing now, Belgian hearings, Dutch investigations, new lawsuits towards Lance which involves USADA as well because of their reasoned decision report. There are so many things and people involved in this that it will take the time and delays necessary. Travis and USADA have done what no one managed to do for 14 years. Let's give them a bit of time to work and dwell on the aftermath of what they started themselves, shall we..

Johan will get his punishment sooner or later.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So on the one hand you think that "this whole UCI commission should never be on USADA's desk anyway" but also that we should "give them a bit of time to work and dwell on the aftermath of they started themselves"

Somewhat neatly sums up the situation really....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • another example of the agendas at play here. Took a microsecond for Mr Skins to spout his view:

'Pressure group Change Cycling Now, backed by Skins principle Jaimie Fuller, went further, calling the UCI’s actions “disgraceful.”

“The [UCI's] unilateral decision to disband the independent commission set up to review the UCI’s own management of anti-doping procedures, is a rank and disgraceful manipulation of power by a governing body concerned only with self-preservation,” the group said in a statement. “Change Cycling Now today calls on the general sport of cycling, its National Federations and other global stakeholders to enforce the removal of a manipulative and contemptible administration that is content to drag cycling further into disrepute in order to safeguard the positions of its leaders.”

Fuller did nothing but rubbish the Independent Commission from the very start, until he and CCN managed to get their ears and then sought to try to steer them in the direction he wanted.

I distrust this guy deeply
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I was just about to post that. Great information and shows the level of cluelessness about

CCN = joke
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    They don't pull any punches, do they?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sure dont.

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
    WADA's statement picks up inconsistencies in UCI's statement from last night but very aggressively. Someone needs to mediate between them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ...I ll have a go, I'm quite a good moderator
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Frankly they're as bad as each other right now

Sort them out, chap

"Fight, fight, fight!"
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The UCI are such a shoddy outfit.

http://www.uciic.org/press-release-29-january-2013/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    If only there was a body that could mediate sporting disputes... oh

For all the words and shouting, this rather looks like it boils down to money.
  • Macaloon
    Must be big money, or IOC machinations. Otherwise why would WADA get its hands filthy with a mere sporting federation that 'everybody' already agrees is corrupt. It's irrational behaviour from a global body that depends on objectivity for its credibility.
  • TMR
    Frankly they're as bad as each other right now

Sort them out, chap

"Fight, fight, fight!"

I'm not sure WADA are as bad as the UCI to be fair, but I take the point. Still, I find such straight talking incredibly refreshing and I commend whomever drafted that WADA release. It seems the UCI modus operandi is to obfuscate and delay as long as possible. So frustrating for the fans, we really just want to see clean racing.

Power corrupts...
  • Frankly they're as bad as each other right now

Sort them out, chap

"Fight, fight, fight!"

I'm not sure WADA are as bad as the UCI to be fair, but I take the point. Still, I find such straight talking incredibly refreshing and I commend whomever drafted that WADA release. It seems the UCI modus operandi is to obfuscate and delay as long as possible. So frustrating for the fans, we really just want to see clean racing.

Power corrupts...

As we see with Rick...

:wink:
  • TMR
    As we see with Rick...

:wink:

Ssssssh! Stay below his radar ;)
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-ind ... says-usada
    “As we previously said, the UCI blindfolded and handcuffed its Independent Commission and now hopes the world will look the other way while the UCI attempts to insert itself into the investigation into the role it played in allowing the doping culture to flourish,”
    Too right.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Everyone needs to read the Biscuit Tin Media thing. All 3 parties were useless.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Scope bloat. It's killed many a project before, and it will kill again.

Let's revisit the original terms of reference:
    http://www.uciic.org/wp-content/uploads ... erence.pdf

Basically, "were the UCI corrupt or negligent wrt to Armstrong/USPostal?"

PLUS a couple of inadvised articles about whether doping controls were properly enforced, whether they're properly enforced now, and what to do with all the guilty dopers working in the sport.

How on earth did that get to "we need a full T&R process"?

THE UCI may have been arseholes in this, but I'm happy to lay the blame fair and square at those that took their ball home and refused to play - USADA, WADA and the Cockup Cycling Now morons. They gave Fat Pat a perfect excuse to pull the plug.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Jings! Lead-filled handbags.

"The UCI has chosen to publish correspondence between its President Pat McQuaid and his WADA counterpart, John Fahey, in the interests of transparency and in order to set the record straight.

Pat McQuaid commented: “I am very saddened that it has come to this, but I cannot allow the latest blatant and aggressive misrepresentations contained in WADA’s most recent press release to go unchallenged. Mr Fahey is saying one thing in public and quite the opposite in correspondence with me, as the attached communications show. "

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1
  • Macaloon
    “ The UCI is determined not to dwell on WADA’s inconsistent behaviour.... Mr McQuaid concluded: “I would therefore urge the President of WADA one more time to try to set his personal vendetta and crusade against cycling aside and to support the UCI in doing what is right for cycling. Our aims are the same: to rid cycling and indeed all sports of the scourge of doping.”

If this was thought through beforehand, McQuaid is a genius.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They're starting to remind me these two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMBHZWe2S8
    Twitter: @RichN95