If you could ask Lance one question, what would it be?

Comments

• apparently Rapha inthe US are throwing a Lance-Oprah party next Thu - if you bring a Liestrong bracelet you can swap it for beer :)

Can you still buy those? And, if so, do they cost less than beer?

I'm asking for a friend.

They cost around a buck, didnt they? Though some form of crazy cult behaviour took over and smart people could flog 'em on ebay for much more.

So a friend tells me.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    My question is always,
    That in 1994 as World Champion I stood next to you as you told your mechanics that nobody recognised you in Belgium as the crowd stood around watching them adjust your bikes and you went off to your room in disgust.

Why did you have to go to such lengths to become "Famous". ?

Not enough to have testicular cancer like thousands of others and to come back to race would have been good enough to make you Famous.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    (on the assumption that LAs excuse is 'I had to do drugs to keep up with the cheatin' europeans')

"If you cheated to keep up, why did you harrass a frenchman (Bassons) when he tried to talk about drug use - and why didn't you blow the lid on it all at the height of your powers?"
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • the 03 Tour...that is an interesting one...

I'm inclined to believe the dehydration story... he was foaming at the mouth during the first TT and was hardly rubbish for the Alpine stages, he went with Beloki's attack into Gap and finished with the leaders in both Morzine and Alpe D'Huez.

In the Pyrenees he was out alone with Ullrich and then finished with the leaders at Aix 3 Domaines and then turned up the wick on Luz Ardiden. He basically had one bad day.

He had the bad day in the first ITT and a reasonably good one at Luz Ardiden, but the rest of the time he was much of a muchness with everyone else. On the Alpe D'Huez ascent, wasn't Lance's group 4 minutes slower than Lance in 2001? Luckily, Ullrich was even slower that day!

In other years, he had a huge margin of superiority, and won by minutes without looking unduly bothered.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    3 questions:

1) Is this all about the simple fact that you wanted to impress and bang Betsy Andreu?

2) what does EPO (Erythropoietin) smell like?

3) in the 2009 Tour, was the strategy simply to get into yelllow to neutralize Contador?
  • the 03 Tour...that is an interesting one...

I'm inclined to believe the dehydration story... he was foaming at the mouth during the first TT and was hardly rubbish for the Alpine stages, he went with Beloki's attack into Gap and finished with the leaders in both Morzine and Alpe D'Huez.

In the Pyrenees he was out alone with Ullrich and then finished with the leaders at Aix 3 Domaines and then turned up the wick on Luz Ardiden. He basically had one bad day.

He had the bad day in the first ITT and a reasonably good one at Luz Ardiden, but the rest of the time he was much of a muchness with everyone else. On the Alpe D'Huez ascent, wasn't Lance's group 4 minutes slower than Lance in 2001? Luckily, Ullrich was even slower that day!

In other years, he had a huge margin of superiority, and won by minutes without looking unduly bothered.

But then, as you point out, he'd already gapped Ullrich by the time Beloki launched his attack and never got out of sight. He didn't need to open the throttle on Alpe D'Huez. Mayo was never going to win the Tour and you'd think he'd want to put the onus on others with ambition to chase/bring him back and he still took yellow.

USPS had already won the TTT and there wasn't another MTF until Aix a week away. I think his vulnerability in that Tour is overstated due to his cyclocross interval (And I still crack up when Boulting calls him a "former mountain biker" when interviewing him afterwards), his spectator interface on Luz and his nonsense about his back brake being on all the way up the Galibier. The ITT was his only genuine jour sans in 7 years.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

The ITT was his only genuine jour sans in 7 years.

The previous one being exactly 7 years earlier when he had a knacker removed...?
  • Eddie72
    Eddie72 Posts: 33
    Did you dope in 2009? If so, how big a risk did you think you were taking?
  • ocdupalais
    Eddie72 wrote:

I've been asked by no one to provide a response to this on behalf of Lance.
    Here it is:
    "What makes you think that, after all the stuff that's been pulicised that I apparently got up to, I would give a damn about '09!?! Man, I could shoot up in the UCI côntrole de anti-dopage while waiting for my freaking test and still not get caught, motherf*****r!!... Who is this week-assed Eddie?... [medical staff enter] Get outta my sight goddam ass-h****s...". At this point I imagine he was being restrained and sedated, so don't take it personally Eddie.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I ve just wasted 2 hours of my life watching Taken 2. Do you reckon your career was an equal waste of time or much much more?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:
    I ve just wasted 2 hours of my life watching Taken 2. Do you reckon your career was an equal waste of time or much much more?

From a boxed set point of view much more.

More importantly who will play him in Lance-The Movie? Charlie Sheen might bring an element of realism but Vince Vaughan would give it comic irony. Dope-rah Winfrey to play herself of course. Hmmm what about Liam Neeson? then it can be called Mis-taken 7.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Eddie72
    Eddie72 Posts: 33
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Eddie72 wrote:

I've been asked by no one to provide a response to this on behalf of Lance.
    Here it is:
    "What makes you think that, after all the stuff that's been pulicised that I apparently got up to, I would give a damn about '09!?! Man, I could shoot up in the UCI côntrole de anti-dopage while waiting for my freaking test and still not get caught, motherf*****r!!... Who is this week-assed Eddie?... [medical staff enter] Get outta my sight goddam ass-h****s...". At this point I imagine he was being restrained and sedated, so don't take it personally Eddie.

Thanks, I feel strangely satisfied with that answer.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:

More importantly who will play him in Lance-The Movie? Charlie Sheen might bring an element of realism but Vince Vaughan would give it comic irony. Dope-rah Winfrey to play herself of course. Hmmm what about Liam Neeson? then it can be called Mis-taken 7.

Surely it should be Peter Capaldi?

Lance: do you think Sheryl Crow should have her own museum like Shania twain does in Canada?
  • ocdupalais
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Lance: do you think Sheryl Crow should have her own museum like Shania twain does in Canada?

Idris Elba to play Lance
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Idris Elba to play Lance

Outstanding pick OCD.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ocdupalais
    Ta, Yellow.

We know he can do an American accent, is versatile - able to play the complex villain and the flawed hero, he's got the charisma that people always mention re Armstrong... Plus, he's probably still smarting from being turned down for the Jamie Foxx character in Tarantino's movie Django Unchained, so he'll have a massive chip on his shoulder. I can't see any negatives, really.

It's with the Bruyneel casting I've hit a wall though, and can't see past Ken Dodd.

Any thoughts?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Ta, Yellow.

We know he can do an American accent, is versatile - able to play the complex villain and the flawed hero, he's got the charisma that people always mention re Armstrong... Plus, he's probably still smarting from being turned down for the Jamie Foxx character in Tarantino's movie Django Unchained, so he'll have a massive chip on his shoulder. I can't see any negatives, really.

It's with the Bruyneel casting I've hit a wall though, and can't see past Ken Dodd.

Any thoughts?

Sir Ian McKellen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Any Lance film should be made as a story through the eyes of Dennisn - It would be like the last part of 2001.

Anyway, actors just do what the directors tell them, so who should direct.

Martin Scorcese is the obvious choice. Or Christopher Nolan who's quite good at complex characters.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited January 2013
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyway, actors just do what the directors tell them, so who should direct.

Martin Scorcese is the obvious choice. Or Christopher Nolan who's quite good at complex characters.

I don't particularly like him, but Paul Thomas Anderson to direct. Christian Bale to star.

Andrew Garfield as Tyler Hamilton, Mads Mikkelsen as Johan Bruyneel, Gabriel Byrne as David Walsh.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pity Shakespeare isn't around to write the screen play :twisted:
  • ocdupalais
    Here's my question for Lance:

With the height of your success coinciding with a period in which global capitalism, noisily triumphant in its self-proclaimed defeat of all forms of non free-market economics (a largely American led myth), we now discover, was riddled with ruthless shysters, incompetent chancers and so-called Masters of The Universe criminally selling us castles in the air... Do you concede that your transgressions could now been seen as yet another nail in the coffin of the American Dream and could ultimately have a far more insidiously damaging effect on the population than any amount of charity work could compensate for?

Thanks.
  • 1). Where you any good without the drugs?

2). Why did you massage the back top of your thigh just before launching an attack in your later Tour wins?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    LOL interesting analogy OCDuPalais. He clearly was one of those 'American Dream' icons. Then again all you have to do to be one of them is be egregiously rich and distastefully obnoxious a.k.a a cnut.

Questioning the 'American Dream' in the presence of almost any American elicit's an entertainingly defensive and delusional response. I'd love to hear Armstrong answer your question, regardless of its perceived merit.
  • ddraver
    When you chased down Simeoni, it effectively proved you a doper to a large number of watchers. Given the coverage this received, do you regret so obviously exposing the omerta?

Being serious about it for a sec, this would be a major one of mine. For me (I wasnt a cycling fan to see this live), hearing this story was when it switched from a vague suspicion to disbelief.
    - @ddraver
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    ddraver wrote:
    When you chased down Simeoni, it effectively proved you a doper to a large number of watchers. Given the coverage this received, do you regret so obviously exposing the omerta?

Being serious about it for a sec, this would be a major one of mine. For me (I wasnt a cycling fan to see this live), hearing this story was when it switched from a vague suspicion to disbelief.

You admit there was a time you believed he was clean? You admit you only had vague suspicions openly on a cycling forum - you can't be serious - you must be winding people up.
  • ddraver wrote:
    I wasnt a cycling fan to see this live

Does anyone remember seeing this live? Was it shown?

I didn't see it, I went to see the Tour in 2004 and was riding around the TT course in Besancon at the time. :D
  • ddraver
    Ah well I feel vindicated then, I can pontificate away knowing that I'm as well informed as everyone else ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    One question - Whose bitch slaps hurt more - Nicole or Betty's?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    No questions should be asked, he should just be ignored. That's the sad fact, people like this give out the old sob story once they have been caught and make more money and fame off the back of it.

I guess what's just as sad is the fact I'm wasting my time on it now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    "Why don't you just f*** off?"

That'd do me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format