Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

124»

Comments

• IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Forecast not looking so good for Sunday :(

Will be intrigued to see how much of the Stone Roses setup is left at Glasgow Green. Some of it could be used on Sunday and looked like there was quite a big bar marquee.

Cycling through Glasgow Green later today on commute home so will see if there are any signs of finish line grandstands etc

Trying to decide where we are going to watch. Have seen Cav win several times, so not too worried about the finish. May come down to best pub with a decent view :D
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mroli wrote:
    Who's gonna win the U23s?

Men - Yates, Doull, Peters

Women - Barnes must start as fave, surely. I'd put in a shout for Garner but her problem will be that she'll have no team mates
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    To those already mentioned, I'd add Dan McLay as my outsider, maybe Jon Mould. Joe Perrett my pick for the TT. The GB boys have been going so well I'd expect one or two to be able to go with the big attacks.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Alan A wrote:
    Oh... forgot to say, I'll be gigging in Dram on the Saturday night hosting two Scottish Comedian of the Year heats 7pm & 9pm. If you're visiting, pop down say "bike radar" and you can get in for free.

Awesome!

I'm riding the Robert Millar sportive that day so will be a cheap date!

Despite saying I'd never ride along the Carron Valley road again, I've been talked into the sportive by my brother! Did the Cairngorm 100 on Saturday there, so see how the legs are this Saturday - could be flying or crawling!

Good they moved the start/finish as the route is safer now (no big groups descending the Tak-me-Doon ford or Carron Valley crater field), but also the mother-in-law lives in Fintry, so I can roll out of bed and round the corner to start :D . Saying that it'll be a very tough finish with Crow Road and Tak-Me-Doon late in the route!

About the comedy at Dram - is it definitely on? There's nothing on the website about it, but we'll be heading out for
    a couple of "recovery" beers so that might be a cool option.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Comedy definitely on. 7pm & 9pm. 8-10 comics (inc some nutters) in each heat.

Loving this.

Photo%2018-06-2013%2013%2051%2038.jpg

Hmmm image not displaying. Click here https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyprasyk8nc42 ... 1%2038.jpg
  • alan_a
    What the consensus on the best vantage point for this? Obviously I'd love to sit near Park Circus and get goosed but I'll be taking children along. Any suggestions?

Park Circus / Kelvingrove is a good shout for kids. The race zooms past 2 swing parks in the park, 1 of which has An Clachan cafe. 5 minutes walk from there to Park Circus, or University Ave or the descent coming down Gibson st (I think this willie the most exhilarating bit to watch).

Glasgow Green will have full commentary, big screen, stalls etc. Of course there is also the swing park or if it is looking wet jump into People's Palace / Wintergardens, or a short walk over the river to Gorbals pool.
  • dgstewart
    OK, thanks! Is it free entry, pay on the door, tickets in advance...?

There's always some nutters in stand-up, especially at the early stages! Went to an occasional stand-up night where I live in Banchory (just outside Aberdeen) - it had Vladimir McTavish as compere, so one big name, a few smaller ones, then one semi-local farmer (guessing in his 50s) from the back of beyond (Clatt - a one horse village) just trying out stand-up. He was reasonable, and got a few laughs, not sure how he'd go down in the big city as much of the material was "rural". Fair play though - takes balls to do it!
  • alan_a
    dgstewart wrote:
    OK, thanks! Is it free entry, pay on the door, tickets in advance...?

There's always some nutters in stand-up, especially at the early stages! Went to an occasional stand-up night where I live in Banchory (just outside Aberdeen) - it had Vladimir McTavish as compere, so one big name, a few smaller ones, then one semi-local farmer (guessing in his 50s) from the back of beyond (Clatt - a one horse village) just trying out stand-up. He was reasonable, and got a few laughs, not sure how he'd go down in the big city as much of the material was "rural". Fair play though - takes balls to do it!

Free at the door if you say "bike radar".

Farmer = Duncan Guthrie. Lovely chap, but south of Stonehaven no-one has the foggiest what he's going on about.
  • dgstewart
    That's the chap! He did seem like a really nice guy.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    mroli wrote:

Not always clear whether the U23 will be needed to support team mates in the senior race or whether they can ride for themselves. Last year RCS opted to ride their experienced seniors behind their U23s. In contrast, Endura had the 2 favourites in the U23 (Thwaites/Rowsell), but used them in the senior race where they were burnt up in the futile chase of Sky. Not sure whether any similar situations may occur this year.
  • Richmond Racer
    lyn1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

Not always clear whether the U23 will be needed to support team mates in the senior race or whether they can ride for themselves. Last year RCS opted to ride their experienced seniors behind their U23s. In contrast, Endura had the 2 favourites in the U23 (Thwaites/Rowsell), but used them in the senior race where they were burnt up in the futile chase of Sky. Not sure whether any similar situations may occur this year.

Yeah, Thwaites was pretty miffed about that
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    sjmclean wrote:
    I dont really mind if its a Sky rider as long as its a pro tour rider, love seeing the jersey in the big races.

This but preferably one of the riders that does a lot of the biggest races so would rather not Fenn or Blythe.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Everything removed from Stone Roses and no sign of any preparations as I rode through Glasgow Green this evening.

Good chance I'll be passing through again on Thursday, so will see what is there by then.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    IanLD wrote:
    Forecast not looking so good for Sunday :(Will be intrigued to see how much of the Stone Roses setup is left at Glasgow Green. Some of it could be used on Sunday and looked like there was quite a big bar marquee.

Cycling through Glasgow Green later today on commute home so will see if there are any signs of finish line grandstands etc

Trying to decide where we are going to watch. Have seen Cav win several times, so not too worried about the finish. May come down to best pub with a decent view :D

See i told you it would P*ss down - You cant organise anything in scotland without the weather spoiling it. I just hope the riders dont "end their season" on sunday crashing or trying to dodge the craters in the road....Cheers Glasgow council for NOT filling the potholes in....what a great advert for the city. a council with no forward thinking.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Bit of TT reconnaissance going on already :P http://app.strava.com/activities/61146148
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I just tried to plan the Road Race route on British Cycling Mapping. It's available to BC members so have a look and tell me what you think :)
  • alan_a
    edited June 2013
    MODS is it time to turn this into a spoiler thread please?

SPOILERS BELOW
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Rowsell and Dowsett are the TT champs.

Dowsett had a crash too about a couple of miles or so from the start, looked like a front wheel washout going round the corner then a superman slide along the tarmac. Dusted himself off, got the other bike and still posted the fastest first lap split.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Alan A wrote:
    MODS is it time to turn this into a spoiler thread please?

SPOILERS BELOW

What would that post possibly spoil?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alan_a
    erm, the result. some people might be waiting until the highlights show.

not having a dig @ OL, just thought it was the done thing not to put results in non spoiler threads.
  • Richmond Racer
    Alan A - sorry I wasnt there, fella. Its the RRs I'm hoping to make - if I can just get off my backside and get on with booking the hotel and trains, that is

Loved your Shane Childs story!