Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Was talk of a wee alleycat race on the course about 6am (similar to what happens before the london marathon) if thats on i'll be hopefully be there :D
    +1
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Was out for a " pint " in Glasgow tonight and noticed a lot of resurfacing going on in George Square. Can't help thinking it's for the Road Race :D
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Was out for a " pint " in Glasgow tonight and noticed a lot of resurfacing going on in George Square. Can't help thinking it's for the Road Race :D
    They've been frantically patching many of the worst bits in Gibson Street, University Avenue and Great George Street, all on the race route... some of those potholes were like old friends, they'd been there so long :cry:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'll be in Dram from 11AM with a few buddies. All joiners welcome.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

I'm thinking about making the trip up, DG. Where would be best area to try to stay Fri-Sat nights?
  • disgruntledgoat

I'm thinking about making the trip up, DG. Where would be best area to try to stay Fri-Sat nights?

We'd put you up, but we've got guests.

Try Great Western Road, there's loads of guest houses up there and plenty of nice bars/restaurants around the area too. Plus, close to the course. If you're after a chain hotel, city centre and the area down by the BBC has loads.

Most importantly, if you're up, give me a shout and join the BR nationals party!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer

We'd put you up, but we've got guests.

Try Great Western Road, there's loads of guest houses up there and plenty of nice bars/restaurants around the area too. Plus, close to the course. If you're after a chain hotel, city centre and the area down by the BBC has loads.

Most importantly, if you're up, give me a shout and join the BR nationals party!

Ta. Will do!
  • alan_a
    Dram's manager Paul... his bro is one of the bike tech's at Dales.

Dram are planning to have the race on big screens with an audio feed out side where they will have a BBQ. Should be a cracking wee hub for the day.

Look forward to meeting you all.
  • alan_a
    Oh... forgot to say, I'll be gigging in Dram on the Saturday night hosting two Scottish Comedian of the Year heats 7pm & 9pm. If you're visiting, pop down say "bike radar" and you can get in for free.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Alan A wrote:
    Oh... forgot to say, I'll be gigging in Dram on the Saturday night hosting two Scottish Comedian of the Year heats 7pm & 9pm. If you're visiting, pop down say "bike radar" and you can get in for free.

Awesome!

I'm riding the Robert Millar sportive that day so will be a cheap date!

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has anyone got a more detailed version of the TT route and the RR maybe a Strava file?
  • alan_a
    Here is strava for the road race. http://app.strava.com/activities/50764553

The last 400m in the park is slightly wrong because workies were doing stuff on the paths.

I'll be doing the TT route midweek.

In other news... I won't be at Dram on Sunday daytime, thus missing the fun on Gt George St, because I've just been confirmed as co-commentator with Hugh Porter at the start / finish.
  • Jazz_UK
    Jazz_UK Posts: 16
    Hi,

Does anyone who knows the route well, have any suggestion for a good place to take photos during the racing? Maybe a technical bit where they narrow out rather than all bunched up or somewhere there is a bit of action? Is there any intermediate sprints?

Would obviously prefer to be somewhere that I could get back to the finish to see the podium etc but not necessary.

Also is anyone volunteering to help? My wife has volunteered and is going to a meeting on Saturday

Thanks
    Stuart
  • alan_a
    Sine there is 13 laps you have lots of opportunities to catch shots at different locations.

Option 1

Start at the start for mass roll out, then walk to Trongate Steeple at bottom of High Street. You should catch the whole peleton descending at speed prior to tight left hander for the end of lap 1.

Walk fast up to Montrose St and you'll catch them climb it for the second time. Small walk along Rottenrow for the cobbles then back down the hill to Trongate and Glasgow Green.

Option 2 - The West End.

Join DisgruntledGoat et al at Dram on Woodlands rd. you can get easy access to them flying down the fastest section of the course on narrow Gibson St. Short walk to University Avenue or Gt George St (steepest section & biggest crowds) or through Kelvingrove to Park Circus and thrown hill cobbles of Lyndoch Cres. Unlikely you will get to the start / finish from this section though.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Alan A wrote:
    Sine there is 13 laps you have lots of opportunities to catch shots at different locations.

Option 1

Start at the start for mass roll out, then walk to Trongate Steeple at bottom of High Street. You should catch the whole peloton descending at speed prior to tight left hander for the end of lap 1.

Walk fast up to Montrose St and you'll catch them climb it for the second time. Small walk along Rottenrow for the cobbles then back down the hill to Trongate and Glasgow Green.

Option 2 - The West End.

Join DisgruntledGoat et al at Dram on Woodlands rd. you can get easy access to them flying down the fastest section of the course on narrow Gibson St. Short walk to University Avenue or Gt George St (steepest section & biggest crowds) or through Kelvingrove to Park Circus and thrown hill cobbles of Lyndoch Cres. Unlikely you will get to the start / finish from this section though.

It's not like crossing Mexico City or Sao Paulo surely - 13 laps is plenty of time to get a few different vantage spots? Though perhaps not at the finishing line...
  • Anonymous
    Does anyone want to ride the course in the morning of the event? Also does anyone want to meet and ride out to the time trial course?
  • alan_a
    6am Glasgow Green under the arch.
  • Anonymous
    Alan A wrote:
    6am Glasgow Green under the arch.

Ok, great. Is anyone going out to the TT?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Yup... I've got a start.. :) not seen the start sheet yet tho, so don't know my time.
  • Richmond Racer
    Here we go....BC just released news of the bigger names riding the RRs and the TTs

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ionships-0

Pleased to see David Millar riding the RR

Full entry lists here
    http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/events/NR ... fault.aspx
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Here we go....BC just released news of the bigger names riding the RRs and the TTs

Full entry lists here

Cool thanks. Im new to this lark, but Its hard to look beyond Sky I think, with the talent but also numbers. Peter Kennaugh looks strong this year and has done well in the race the last few years. But then again maybe the city centre course will suit domestic teams who are well drilled from the recent Tour Series.
  • Richmond Racer
    Ed-tron wrote:

Full entry lists here

Cool thanks. Im new to this lark, but Its hard to look beyond Sky I think, with the talent but also numbers. Peter Kennaugh looks strong this year and has done well in the race the last few years. But then again maybe the city centre course will suit domestic teams who are well drilled from the recent Tour Series.

Yeah, its a funny course. I've heard people labelling it as a long crit, but others saying it looks like a crit but wont be raced like one. Lots of people on the forum here who know the course who will agree or disagree. One things for sure - there's a fair bit of climbing.

Its so difficult to look beyond a ProTour rider. I think Sky will race for Kennaugh, and thats a reason why he did Lincoln - which he won very convincingly. He's got a fast kick on him, and his climbing's been superb at the Dauphine. However Sky will have to do everything they can to drop Cav - and i wouldnt be surprised if Millar and Dowsett join forces with Fenn to ride for Cav, given that they have no team mates themselves and they're good mates. Blythe's getting tipped by some people and he has Cummings to help him.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    This is going to be a very Belgian UK RR i.e. the majority of spectators will be bladdered...myself included :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    This is going to be a very Belgian UK RR i.e. the majority of spectators will be bladdered...myself included :lol:

Right. That decides it. I'm coming up from the sarf for this :)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm tempted to pop across for this. Could be a good weekend
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • alan_a

Right. That decides it. I'm coming up from the sarf for this :)

You know the rules, picture or it didn't happen.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I think/hope this could be the year sky do not win it, being the pro tour team with the numbers could work against them, they only have 6 riders yet there is 5 other world tour riders from other teams plus the 4 net-app riders aswell as all the domestic pros. It end up being everyone against sky, or end up being a select group, if sky have say 3 riders but have Blythe, Miller and Cav/Fenn and Downing there sky will be left to do all the chasing. I for one am looking forward to it. As per usual have my fingers crossed for the Guernsey boys, I think James will be in and amongst the top 5 for the TT.
  • Anonymous
    I dont really mind if its a Sky rider as long as its a pro tour rider, love seeing the jersey in the big races.
  • What the consensus on the best vantage point for this? Obviously I'd love to sit near Park Circus and get goosed but I'll be taking children along. Any suggestions?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What the consensus on the best vantage point for this? Obviously I'd love to sit near Park Circus and get goosed but I'll be taking children along. Any suggestions?

Leave the kids at home
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.