Glasgow 2014 - Road Race / TT

Comments

• Alan A wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Woodlands Rd:

Old School House, Dram, Halt, Arlington, The Drake.

That's that sorted then! BR day oot?

Aye.

Gotta feel sorry for http://www.siemprebicyclecafe.com so close to the action but no view.

I'm certain their natural constituency of skinny-jeaned hipsters will keep their artisan beans grinding all day anyway.

I'll post up something on here nearer the time and we'll get on it!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Alan A wrote:
    Woodlands Rd:

Old School House, Dram, Halt, Arlington, The Drake.

LOL. First thing that went through my mind when I read the route :lol:
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Hmmm.... sounds quite a tempting way to watch it :D

Pity I'm not a student (was quite a few years ago) as it would have been going past my window. Going to book time off for the TT too. Can't wait!!!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Used to stay in Stewarton and lived just off Byers Road so a fascinating pair of routes to me (the hill on Gt George St / Gibson St is a pain in the backside to walk, let alone cycle!). No prospect of attending the midweek TT unfortunately but I will be over for the RR.

Obviously a wee bit ahead still, but any indication of who's doing the Nationals this year? While Andy Fenn is as Scottish as Dan Martin is Irish, it'd be nice to see him win it! Though I expect it will come from whoever Sky put in. Will Stannard defend? I haven't read anything from anyone (positive or negative) about plans to do Glasgow.
  • I think David Millar plans to ride Glasgow 2014 then knock it on the head, so he'll probably want a recce.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Used to stay in Stewarton and lived just off Byers Road so a fascinating pair of routes to me (the hill on Gt George St / Gibson St is a pain in the backside to walk, let alone cycle!). No prospect of attending the midweek TT unfortunately but I will be over for the RR.

Obviously a wee bit ahead still, but any indication of who's doing the Nationals this year? While Andy Fenn is as Scottish as Dan Martin is Irish, it'd be nice to see him win it! Though I expect it will come from whoever Sky put in. Will Stannard defend? I haven't read anything from anyone (positive or negative) about plans to do Glasgow.

Kennaugh maybe, or Swifty if he's able to get in enough racing time beforehand? If not Sky, how about maybe someone like Scott Thwaites who would seem to suit this course? It will probably need someone who's got a kick at the end
  • Used to stay in Stewarton and lived just off Byers Road so a fascinating pair of routes to me (the hill on Gt George St / Gibson St is a pain in the backside to walk, let alone cycle!). No prospect of attending the midweek TT unfortunately but I will be over for the RR.

Kennaugh maybe, or Swifty if he's able to get in enough racing time beforehand? If not Sky, how about maybe someone like Scott Thwaites who would seem to suit this course? It will probably need someone who's got a kick at the end

If Cav can be bothered the week before the Tour you'd think he'd have to have a chance on what amounts to 14 laps of the last 7km of a city finish in the Tour! Last 5km to the finish is pretty gentle too.

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer

If Cav can be bothered the week before the Tour you'd think he'd have to have a chance on what amounts to 14 laps of the last 7km of a city finish in the Tour! Last 5km to the finish is pretty gentle too.

But he wont do it before the Tour (I know he did the 2011 race). And he'll have zero team mates - no, scrap that, he'd have Fenn, I guess.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Last 5km is gentle, but it aldo has some technical sections. if the slightest chance of rain I'd advise Cav and other Tour riders to avoid. There are fast downhill cobbles with sharp right hand turns at Lyndoch and Rottenrow. These 2 sections will be treacherous in the rain. The final km has been used as finish for several ToB stages. Imo It is not suitable for a bunch sprint. Last corner is almost 150'.
  • Alan A wrote:
    Last 5km is gentle, but it aldo has some technical sections. if the slightest chance of rain I'd advise Cav and other Tour riders to avoid. There are fast downhill cobbles with sharp right hand turns at Lyndoch and Rottenrow. These 2 sections will be treacherous in the rain. The final km has been used as finish for several ToB stages. Imo It is not suitable for a bunch sprint. Last corner is almost 150'.

I think against a lower level of rider and a lack of team tactics, Cav is capable of winning a la Friere. As to wet cobbles, he lives in Oudenaarde now, so he better be used to that!

As an aside, from my professional standpoint, I'm made up to see an informed enthusiastic discussion about this 2 months before the event!

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Alan A wrote:

I think against a lower level of rider and a lack of team tactics, Cav is capable of winning a la Friere. As to wet cobbles, he lives in Oudenaarde now, so he better be used to that!
    As an aside, from my professional standpoint, I'm made up to see an informed enthusiastic discussion about this 2 months before the event!

Cav doesnt live in Oudenaarde - still lives in Essex. Didnt want to move from there. Occasional trips out to Tuscany pad to train in the hills, otherwise its the badlands of Essex.
  • Alan A wrote:

Cav doesnt live in Oudenaarde - still lives in Essex. Didnt want to move from there. Occasional trips out to Tuscany pad to train in the hills, otherwise its the badlands of Essex.

Sure I read pre-season that he'd moved there and was learning Dutch.

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Alan A wrote:

Maybe some puff was put out to make the Belgian fans happy. But he's still in Essex. Lefevere was moaning recently (surprise!) that whereas in the past all the riders in a team would stay together over the entire classics period, nowadays immediately after races riders like Cav hare off to travel back home to Essex.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cav clearly has two good reasons to go back to Essex at every opportunity, maybe 3 if you include his daughter.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    What an awful circuit. Great george street ??? its full of giant speed bumps, pot holes, and drain covers....honest to god this has got "skating rink damage to your health & safety written all over it" most of all its used by buses yes those buses which leaks diesel and it kinda rains lots in glasgow. couldnae organise a p**s up in a brewery. :roll:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    What an awful circuit. Great george street ??? its full of giant speed bumps, pot holes, and drain covers....honest to god this has got "skating rink damage to your health & safety written all over it" most of all its used by buses yes those buses which leaks diesel and it kinda rains lots in glasgow. couldnae organise a p**s up in a brewery. :roll:
    Are you meaning the whole course when you talk about buses? Great George St has everything else you mention but not bus stops! Although if you're going up it instead of down it that isn't quite as big a problem as it might be. There are certainly some massive potholes scattered around some of these roads though, I hope they do some resurfacing work in the next couple of months.

Going down Gibson St (against the usual one way system) could be a bit interesting too - Great George St is quite wide, but at the top you have a 90 degree right hander quickly followed by a 90 degree left hander into Gibson St itself which is much narrower.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:

GIven every other local authority in the area's outright refusal to pay for resurfacing or infrastructure works for the biggest sporting event Scotland will ever host, I can't really see what else they could have done.

@gietvangent
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    edited April 2013
    Just been for a quick (sorry slow) blast round the route. Couple of small deviations at Glasgow Cross and in Glasgow Green.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50764553

Not the fastest ride in the world, no point, too many t/lights.

Oaft, how did we forget about /overlook Montrose St, that's where all the action is going to take place on the final few laps. I used to have to climb that 4 or 5 times a day when I was studying at Strathclyde.

Surprisingly the roads are in pretty good shape. Couple of nasty collapsed manhole covers, particularly at turn on corner of St. Vincent & Elmbank. Gibson St will be an excellent descent, really fast with a good run out toward the r/about.

Cobbles at Lyndoch & Rottenrow stop a good bit before the turn so sadly these corners won't be as spectacular as the one on the Durham crit.

For 1 lap everything can easily be done in the big ring, by the time you've got 10 -14 laps in you though you'd be spinning in the wee ring.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Didnt realise it went up Montrose St, that should be good
  • Just how did the rozzers agree to this course? Don't get me wrong, I'll be enjoying it, but that's a huge chunk of the city effectively closed down from morn' to late afternoon. Expect a lot of whinging drivers (esp of the taxi vareity). But, you know, f*** em...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Expect a lot of whinging drivers (esp of the taxi vareity). But, you know, f*** em...
    Quite. Will make up for the many many times I've had to dodge out-of-the-blue U-turns and various other stupid crap. I'm always extra careful around taxis because they are so prone to doing stupid sh*t without warning.
  • argyllflyer
    Any news on likely entrants to the road race? Pete Kennaugh looked strong in Lincoln, was wondering if he entered that with Glasgow in mind.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Alan A wrote:
    Last 5km is gentle, but it aldo has some technical sections. if the slightest chance of rain I'd advise Cav and other Tour riders to avoid. There are fast downhill cobbles with sharp right hand turns at Lyndoch and Rottenrow....
    Maybe some puff was put out to make the Belgian fans happy. But he's still in Essex. Lefevere was moaning recently (surprise!) that whereas in the past all the riders in a team would stay together over the entire classics period, nowadays immediately after races riders like Cav hare off to travel back home to Essex.
    I have the impression Cavendish spends more time in Italy than just “Occasional trips out to Tuscany pad”. It seems when he met Peta Todd he was at Quarrata less frequently, but he didn’t give his place up altogether.
    He was living at Quarrata in November 2012 when he was on a training ride and had that slight brush with a car, and I heard he was there shortly before this recent Giro started, so end April-early May.

That would have pleased the local mayor, actually mayoress (pictured below with Cavendish), because in January 2012, following him having spent some at Quarrata in Autumn 2011, she proposed to the local Quarrata council that Cavendish should be given honorary citizenship of Quarrata!

con-cavendish.jpg?w=700&h=
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    They should have sent them up North Portland Street in Strathclyde Uni campus. Killer hill!
  • JackTar
    JackTar Posts: 77
    So who do you think will win?
  • argyllflyer
    Maybe a course for the likes of Kristian House perhaps? He seemed on good form at Durham a few weeks back.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Am sorry but not changed my view on this "Egg & Spoon race" course. It's bloody awful. the roads are in a terrible state. drainers/stanks/Potholes/Humps/Diesel (believe me i know these roads well) and if it rains then if wiggins/cavendish want to save their tour hopes they would avoid it like the plague or risk serious injury. Its just a giant "Crit" course not a road race at all. Did wee Gordy Mathieson at Glasgow Council design this farce course ? :roll:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Am sorry but not changed my view on this "Egg & Spoon race" course. It's bloody awful. the roads are in a terrible state. drainers/stanks/Potholes/Humps/Diesel (believe me i know these roads well) and if it rains then if wiggins/cavendish want to save their tour hopes they would avoid it like the plague or risk serious injury. Its just a giant "Crit" course not a road race at all. Did wee Gordy Mathieson at Glasgow Council design this farce course ? :roll:

That's the spirit.

Now, for the less miserable, where are we meeting? I'm in town with a mate from 1130 onwards.

@gietvangent
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Was talk of a wee alleycat race on the course about 6am (similar to what happens before the london marathon) if thats on i'll be hopefully be there :D
  • JackTar
    JackTar Posts: 77
    What about Andy Fenn? He won gullegem koerse against a quality field including Gilbert and Van Avermaet.