2014 TdF

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    iainf72 wrote:
    It seems to pull of a London stage swung it for them

Is it possible to have any major race in this country that isn't in London? *sulks even more*

It's a city that tolerates disruptive sport like no other in the UK.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    ddraver wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Nice, they put a good effort in to getting that and congrats to them.

Nice one in the eye for the Scots too :P
    :( would have been great to see TdF in Edinburgh, but sounds like it will come up here at some point.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    nevman wrote:
    MMM..Fleet Moss,Buttertubs,lovely...Rosedale Chimney >>??
    If it goes up Rosedale Chimney I'll eat my flat cap.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Anyway. Great news. UK roadside support is better even than Flanders at the moment.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    iainf72 wrote:

Is it possible to have any major race in this country that isn't in London? *sulks even more*

When London gets a 75k seater stadium slap bang in the city centre let me know.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • brilliant news - excellent effort to get it there.

Cleats Guide T' TDF

Je voudrais un bread an' dripping sil vous plait
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Are we sure this isn't just a mistake due to the officials using apple maps to plan?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

When London gets a 75k seater stadium slap bang in the city centre let me know.
    'city centre' - how quaint :wink:
  • Will there be a prologue?
  • Fantastic news, I feel a day or two off work is in order, the kids should should love the caravan too.
  • Will there be a prologue?

One that lasts 3 days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • UncleMonty wrote:
    ...I feel a day or two off work is in order...

Wow, steady now! :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dream start (working with what we've got):

1 - Prologue - whatever - round Leeds I guess? Maybe using Roundhay as a central point?
    2 - North Yorks Moors, Rosedale, Boltby Bank et al. What I'd call a JTL stage. Won't happen - maybe a rolling one in South Yorkshire - Leeds through to Sheffield?
    3 - Flat (but nice stage) Nottingham - London. Can be pretty picturesque. With a sprint into the newly reopened Olympic Park?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Probably hit London as well so the riders can get proper coffee
    they could get a proper pint of beer int'north first, then head sarf for a gay latte :)

Is a gay latte made with Camp coffee?

Can't wait - a chance to watch the Tour with virtually no cost. Even better if we get to see the world's best climbers grovelling up the mighty alpine style pass that is Box Hill ;)
  • Pross
    Do you reckon they'll be charging for tickets at stage finishes and the best climbs? It seems us Brits are mugs for paying for things that no one else does, just hope the ASO haven't realised this!
  • Pross wrote:
    Do you reckon they'll be charging for tickets at stage finishes and the best climbs? It seems us Brits are mugs for paying for things that no one else does, just hope the ASO haven't realised this!

Hahahahahahahahaha...the best climbs...hahahahahahaha - it's England.
  • Just round the block from me! 8)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • mroli wrote:
    Dream start (working with what we've got):

1 - Prologue - whatever - round Leeds I guess? Maybe using Roundhay as a central point?
    2 - North Yorks Moors, Rosedale, Boltby Bank et al. What I'd call a JTL stage. Won't happen - maybe a rolling one in South Yorkshire - Leeds through to Sheffield?
    3 - Flat (but nice stage) Nottingham - London. Can be pretty picturesque. With a sprint into the newly reopened Olympic Park?

Its the Mall for the finish
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

It's all relative - they'll probably put up so ticket only spectator stands on a few humped back bridges ;)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pross wrote:

If you think there aren't any good climbs in England then you need to get out and ride more. Sure, we don't have any 20km alpine climbs, but there are plenty of short but nasty climbs up north, plenty enough to make a cracking Ardennes type route, if the organisers are brave enough.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • How good would it be if Wiggo or Froomedog won 2013 and could start in Leeds in Yellow with No 1 on his back?
    Over 50mph on Malaucene descent
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    BBC homepage showing the news, 3 links sit below the headline.
    'Wiggins wants to defend tour title'
    'Make Yorkshire puddings with gravy'
    'Things To Do in Leeds'

Nice to see 2nd is linking through to a James Martin Yorkshire pudding recipe, sure he is very keen to be part of the whole thing in any way he can :lol:
  • Sonny73 wrote:
    BBC homepage showing the news, 3 links sit below the headline.
    'Wiggins wants to defend tour title'
    'Make Yorkshire puddings with gravy'
    'Things To Do in Leeds'

Nice to see 2nd is linking through to a James Martin Yorkshire pudding recipe, sure he is very keen to be part of the whole thing in any way he can :lol:

Cue the digging out of Martin's dumbarse comments about hating cyclists, drawing the ire of Wiggo and resultant reference to him as putting the coq in coq-au-vin
  • Pross wrote:

If you think there aren't any good climbs in England then you need to get out and ride more. Sure, we don't have any 20km alpine climbs, but there are plenty of short but nasty climbs up north, plenty enough to make a cracking Ardennes type route, if the organisers are brave enough.

I'm in spitting distance of the Grampians. Like Wales, we have climbs.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Pross wrote:

I'm in spitting distance of the Grampians. Like Wales, we have climbs.

I live in Wales and the climbs in northern England are just as good as here. Plenty of good climbs in Yorkshire, congratulations to them.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    No matter where they go, there will lots of popular Strava segments that we'll now never have a hope of getting KOM on.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Or even top 193 for that matter.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Fear not, Greased. Raymond Blanc has a little outpost in Leeds

http://www.brasserieblanc.com/french-re ... /leeds.php

Be just like being in France
    No good to me then as I need proper cooked food.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

You better ask Brian Robinson about the merits of Yorkshire training. (oh sorry I think he is involved with the course design)

Wind Up..........England has more riders with better palmares in the UK.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    sbbefc wrote:

I live in Wales and the climbs in northern England are just as good as here. Plenty of good climbs in Yorkshire, congratulations to them.

Indeed, I'm from Chester and have been up most of the North Wales classic climbs. I now live in the Pennines and the cycling is harder than in North wales, in my view.

My occasional trips to the Dales are tougher again. Not so much for length, but there are loads of visciously steep ramps that really wear you down.