Cheers for the link, no Stage 3 map yet:

route_small.jpg
    Stage 1:
    Route1Small.jpg
    Stage 2:
    Route2Small.jpg
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Thursday 3rd July: presentation of the 2014 Tour de France teams at Leeds Arena
  • alanp23 wrote:
    Yes, I've just been looking at that. I am wondering if it is near Don Valley Stadium? Penistone Rd must have been an issue ;)

Attercliffe Common down by Don Valley Stadium would be a wide flat straight finish, although it's not the most picturesque part of the city, it is a bit of a dump down that area.
  • sonny73
    Triumph of a route for the Harrogate / Knaresborough area.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Stage 1 goes over Buttertubs Pass! Probably the toughest, or certainly top 3, ive done in England.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    So excited. Can't tell you.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    http://letour.yorkshire.com/

Race does go up Holme Moss :D

So stage 2 goes over Holme Moss, and then a very lumpy finale, with a narrow curvy 25% downhill just after Langsett, a pretty good climb up to Grenoside not too far from the finish, and then a descent and some loops around the industrial wastelands between Sheffield and Rotherham of Meadowhall and finish near Don Valley Stadium. Great stage and great ride into Sheffield, but what a miserable part of Sheffield to have the finish. I guess they needed the space to put up VIP tents and such...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    amazing can't quiet believe it, day 1 route, second half is roads i ride weekly. As i've never been fortunate enough to go to see the tour in france, to think that I can go and watch the tour after riding from home on both days I count myself very lucky!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • sonny73
    amazing can't quiet believe it, day 1 route, second half is roads i ride weekly. As i've never been fortunate enough to go to see the tour in france, to think that I can go and watch the tour after riding from home on both days I count myself very lucky!
    It is great when it's on your door step and brilliantly bizarre seeing the big names, team vehicles and caravan go through your town.
    It went through where I live in 2007 when it went through Kent, and along roads I often ride. I remember the atmosphere and mood around town was superb, and the amount of people out watching it was incredible. Certainly makes for a very enjoyable and memorable occasion.
  • bianchimoon
    Sonny73 wrote:
    It is great when it's on your door step and brilliantly bizarre seeing the big names, team vehicles and caravan go through your town.
    It went through where I live in 2007 when it went through Kent, and along roads I often ride. I remember the atmosphere and mood around town was superb, and the amount of people out watching it was incredible. Certainly makes for a very enjoyable and memorable occasion.

I know it's early days for 2014, but do you remember what times route roads were closed back in 07?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Excellent. My brother in law has just moved to Hebdon bridge and now I learn the route is heading through there. :D
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Superb roll on 2014.
    There'll be massive crowds.

May need EPO just to watch.
  • sonny73
    Sonny73 wrote:

I know it's early days for 2014, but do you remember what times route roads were closed back in 07?
    That's testing my memory :). I can't remember exactly, sorry, but I'm sure it varied depending on the type of road, A or B etc. and how busy routes normally are. I could be wrong though as it was many moons ago.
    Certainly a good 4 hours at least before they came through.
  • bianchimoon
    thanks sonny, long wait but can't plan too soon eh :wink:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    JackTar wrote:
    Check out the big thread already going on the TDF 2014 and all the discussion in there... :roll:
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Sonny73 wrote:

Doesn't the Tour caravan usually pass through a good 3hrs in front of the race, so that should give a good indication that all roads will be closed at least 4hrs before any racing action takes place.
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Coming withing 5 miles of my house and on Roads I ride regularly how cool is that :)

and looking at the route not the usual first couple of days to wind up :)
  • zippy483 wrote:
    Coming withing 5 miles of my house and on Roads I ride regularly how cool is that :)

and looking at the route not the usual first couple of days to wind up :)

No, far from. And Monsieur Prudhomme et al have decided prologues are passe
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It'll be interesting to see how the race unfold in the first couple of days. I'm assuming Cav - if he's riding - will want to win in Harrogate, there are three tough climbs in the Dales but 35 miles from the top of the last one to the finish.

The second day looks far harder, lots of hills and 11,000 feet of climbing. It's pretty flat from York to Harrogate but up and down the rest of the day, I'd expect there'll be a lot of riders chancing their arm and trying to take the yellow jersey. It could even shake up the GC riders, especially if it's windy.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see how the race unfold in the first couple of days. I'm assuming Cav - if he's riding - will want to win in Harrogate, there are three tough climbs in the Dales but 35 miles from the top of the last one to the finish.

The second day looks far harder, lots of hills and 11,000 feet of climbing. It's pretty flat from York to Harrogate but up and down the rest of the day, I'd expect there'll be a lot of riders chancing their arm and trying to take the yellow jersey. It could even shake up the GC riders, especially if it's windy.

Well, it is the home of Betty's Tea Rooms... :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    SO EXCITED.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    SO EXCITED.

I'm with you Rick, but you do only need to say it once per thread! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    SO EXCITED.

I'm with you Rick, but you do only need to say it once per thread! :wink:

I'll be the judge of that ;).

S'gonna be mega.

On first inspection I should see it 4 times before it heads out to France.
  • Living in Sheffield this is Fantastic! Just need to plan how to see them mulitple times if its logistically possible
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I will be up in Sheffield for the day, so let me know when you figure out some tips!
  • Will do LL. We should have a bikeradar meet pre or post stage I reckon
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Holmfirth. Maybe Prudhomme is a secret Last of the Summer Wine fan? Perhaps we should watch out for three pensioners coming down the hillside in a bathtub and jumping over the peloton?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Has any in depth road route been released yet? So far all I have is a few towns and a poor quality map.