2014 TdF

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd only go to a race if it was on my doorstep and required almost no effort on my part.

Would always take watching it on telly though.

But that's just me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery ... -yorkshire

'All six Giant-Shimano riders admitted to being surprised by the difficulty of stage two through the Pennine Hills into Sheffield. "I think I'll wish Chris Froome a lot of good luck for the GC fight that morning," said Kittel, laughing as he did so. "We did 100km today and clocked up 1,600 metres of climbing. If you double that [across the whole stage], then that’s a lot of altitude gained, as much perhaps as in some of the Alpine stages."

When asked about that day's final climb of Jenkin Road, which has a pitch at 33 per cent, Koen de Kort said: "I was considering walking it. It's tough – very steep and pretty long as well. I couldn't believe how it kept going. If the race is not completely broken to pieces before it, then it's certainly going to happen on there. I don't think there will be a very big group at the finish after that."

"I think it's harder than Amstel Gold," he said in response to a question comparing the Dutch Classic with the Sheffield stage. "I think it's even harder than Liège," quipped Degenkolb.

Kittel confessed he had been impressed by the reception he and his team-mates had received while doing their recon. "Everyone has been very polite, even when we've blocked the roads," he said. "When you look around there are banners everywhere, bicycles hanging on walls. I think that's really cool and that in July we'll have a really big cycling party here."'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tasty, going to be a huge stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Mouthwatering
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    walking it.... :shock: :oops:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RideOnTime wrote:

Any climb where top-level riders have to consider walking shouldn't be in a TDF stage, IMO. Sorry to be a party-pooper but it reduces things to farce.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If it's a rare thing then I'm okay with it. If it's the finish to every single stage of a 3 week race, then I'm against it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Any climb where top-level riders have to consider walking shouldn't be in a TDF stage, IMO. Sorry to be a party-pooper but it reduces things to farce.
    That comment was probably made tongue-in-cheek, or after riding up with flatland gears. I've done Jenkin Rd several times, no need to walk. It's steep, but not ridiculous. I believe the 30% or 33% it's billed as is an exaggeration, more like 20-25%
    IMHO Jawbone Hill, or 'Cote d'Oughtibridge' or something like that, 10 km earlier will be more selective
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    FJS wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

That comment was probably made tongue-in-cheek, or after riding up with flatland gears. I've done Jenkin Rd several times, no need to walk. It's steep, but not ridiculous. I believe the 30% or 33% it's billed as is an exaggeration, more like 20-25%
    IMHO Jawbone Hill, or 'Cote d'Oughtibridge' or something like that, 10 km earlier will be more selective

+1
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • The_Special_One
    The_Special_One Posts: 108
    edited April 2014
    alanp23 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

+1

+2

Grew up in sheffield and rode up Jenkins many times. Steep from the get go but the really super steep bit is really only the part shown in the YouTube clip. Last time I rode it on my road bike it was as per usual a grind but managed it with a 39x25
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I am just being lazy, but CBA looking back through 10 pages. Can anyone tell me which are the sprint stages please?
  • FJS
    TMR wrote:
    I am just being lazy, but CBA looking back through 10 pages. Can anyone tell me which are the sprint stages please?
    Straightforward sprints 3, 4, 6, 15, 21
    Probable or reduced group sprints 1, 7, 19
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Thank you FJS.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I can see the need to drop on the Cote' d Hotebbridge or whatever...

I have done so much to promote this mans presentation skills;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz78yBOH_y4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    BoR7B8ICUAASL3O.jpg

Dan Wuori ‏@dwuori · 5h
    .@velonews Tour de France Guide in the mailbox means I can finally reveal Brinton's masterpiece: @TeamSky as KISS pic.twitter.com/oEooCDYEd1
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    £45 to £85 is the cost for the team presentation.

This is normally a free event for the public.

Trust the UK to milk as much money as they can from us.

Yorkshire Tourist Board, I think you mean.

As for the 'us'...I thought you never went to races, preferring to watch cycling via a screen?
    It's all very unusual and I suspect is a gesture to placate guarantors who are having to pay the over-budget costs and cover for people failing to fulfill earlier promises.

Lucky there's a world cup on this month to keep the media distracted, I say. Let's hope England do very well.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

I hope no one shows up because that is bloody disgraceful.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976

It is paid for by "us" regardless. Policing, barriers, all that. Whether it is £45 per ticket or it ends up being paid by local taxes, it still gets paid.

A sponser could surely have been found though to pick up the tab?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Perhaps it's a bit like a club trying to organize an event: Initially there is a lot of goodwill and enthusiasm (perhaps fueled by Wiggins winning the Tour), but, as the date draws near, people (or sponsors) find excuses not to be involved. Probably doesn't help that this is a world cup year, where potential sponsors would rather throw their money in with En-ger-land's football heroes.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    This is quite old news, n'est-ce pas?

The Cycling Podcast said the £££ gained by selling tickets will pay for the show alone
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    Does anyone have a link to the road book? Specifically the details about the two stages in Yorkshire

It's usually online, but I can't seem to find it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I'm probably going to book my camp site for stages 1 and 2 this weekend which is in Ripon. My plan is to ride to Leeds for the start and then either back to Ripon to watch them come through there and maybe watch the race at the fan zone or catch the finish in Harrogate (I assume there's going to be a fan zone there too?). I'm a bit unsure what to do on Stage 2, I'll either travel to Sheffield and try to watch on Jenkin Road of try to find somewhere sensible to park within 20 miles or so of Holme Moss and then ride up there nice and early. Has anyone got any suggestions of a good town to park in for the ride up? I don't know Yorkshire at all.

Stage 3 is a choice between my sister's house in Felsted (it literally passes her front door) or a trip to London. I'll probably take the first option, it will be a blink and you miss it thing but at least I'll see something whereas London will be even quicker and crowded!
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    I think I'm going to cycle up to the Mall for day 3, it'll be packed, but it looks to be the best option for me at the moment.
  • FJS
    Does anyone have a link to the road book? Specifically the details about the two stages in Yorkshire

It's usually online, but I can't seem to find it.
    This has both routes in much detail on google earth http://letour.yorkshire.com/
  • FJS
    Pross wrote:
    I'm probably going to book my camp site for stages 1 and 2 this weekend which is in Ripon. My plan is to ride to Leeds for the start and then either back to Ripon to watch them come through there and maybe watch the race at the fan zone or catch the finish in Harrogate (I assume there's going to be a fan zone there too?). I'm a bit unsure what to do on Stage 2, I'll either travel to Sheffield and try to watch on Jenkin Road of try to find somewhere sensible to park within 20 miles or so of Holme Moss and then ride up there nice and early. Has anyone got any suggestions of a good town to park in for the ride up? I don't know Yorkshire at all!
    Jenkin Rd would be the best place to watch, and they have a big screen there as well. Will be crowded though, but should be brilliant if you're early enough. People are focusing on Holme Moss, but I'd say the hills closer to Sheffield should be better, with the field more broken up. Jawbone Hill (cote d'Oughtibridge) should be perfect, 2 km of 10% av just over 10 km from the finish, and they've got a big screen at the bottom in Oughtibridge too. I'm not sure about actual parking places on the day, but towns like Stocksbridge, Thurgoland or Penistone should be within reach and offer a reasonably pleasant ride out
  • Pross
    Thanks for that, I might give Jawbone Hill a go then. Possibly park a few miles away a walk it to avoid having the hassle of the bike. It might be a bit quiter there too with people concentrating on the finish or Holme Moss.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I am going to spend the weekend at The King of the Mountains festival. Right on Buttertubs, so easy to get to the big climb of the day, big screen with the race on, some cycling films, 3 nights of music (some OK bands inc Dry the River a personal favourite of mine) £45 quid for all that and camping, given some farmers are charging more than that for a night in field don't think that is bad.
  • Pross
    mr_poll wrote:
    I am going to spend the weekend at The King of the Mountains festival. Right on Buttertubs, so easy to get to the big climb of the day, big screen with the race on, some cycling films, 3 nights of music (some OK bands inc Dry the River a personal favourite of mine) £45 quid for all that and camping, given some farmers are charging more than that for a night in field don't think that is bad.

Will check that out if the website ever loads for me!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Pross wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:

Will check that out if the website ever loads for me!

Ha yes there is a bit of style over substance initially