My new bike....

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Thanks. The "Anti-theft" is having my name etched onto it. Slightly harder to shift and easier to spot if it does get nicked.

Aaaah. I couldn't see the detail - blame this laptop screen! Good idea though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Which circuit?

I assumed it was a road course/circuit as there's dotted white lines down the middle.
    Yes, I thought that but didn't think it was Le Mans as the advertising looked more English. I am also sad enough to have noticed the mismatched cars.
    I've got a lovely print of a painting of the pits at Monaco in the 50's.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Very nice too!
    Curious as to what that blue bolt is for at the back of the seat tube, just above the seat stays?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i think possibly its to allow the seat post to be adjusted, however im probably wrong as it would be quite weird...
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    You might be right. It doesn't look like it has a regular seat post clamp.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    You are all correct that's exactly what its for. As the down tube is bi-ovalised, the seat tube has to be too and also a regular clamp wouldn't work. This does the job.

I forgot to add, this morning's ride was sans-mudguards as the shop ran into some issues fitting them around the calipers. Google-fu is strong so I've sent them some suggestions. In the mean time, my frame is now dirty! I'll have to clean it tonight. Next up is researching how to stop finger smudges on titanium. Someone recommended a silicone spray, though no idea if that would work or not?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    You are all correct that's exactly what its for. As the down tube is bi-ovalised, the seat tube has to be too and also a regular clamp wouldn't work. This does the job.

I forgot to add, this morning's ride was sans-mudguards as the shop ran into some issues fitting them around the calipers. Google-fu is strong so I've sent them some suggestions. In the mean time, my frame is now dirty! I'll have to clean it tonight. Next up is researching how to stop finger smudges on titanium. Someone recommended a silicone spray, though no idea if that would work or not?
    Wear surgical gloves all the time
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    I've just seen that Enigma recommend applying baby oil to the frame! The missus is already not best pleased that I'm spending cash and attention on it. If I start oiling it up too then I see a couple of nights asleep on the sofa in my future

At least I could sleep with the bike ;)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have heard that baby oil (which is a mineral oil) is good for keeping a Ti frame looking good.

edit: Doh! Beaten to it!
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I've just seen that Enigma recommend applying baby oil

Yup - great for kitchen stainless so I'm sure it would work on the bike
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wrath Rob
    Right, that does it. Off to Boots to lube up
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Right, that does it. Off to Boots to lube up
    You know you can just apply it to a cloth?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • If you've a couple of nights on the sofa, you may be able to put the oil to other good uses.

BTW - only Johnson's Baby Oil will do on such a nice bike....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Right pics. Unfortunately all were taken indoors, after dark. I only used the flash on 1 so the quality is a little bit, well, poor. I'll be trying to rectify that at the weekend.

Shiny bike
    8209995306_3bbd789c09.jpg

Congrats on the new bike and all. The frame looks lovely... I am, however, not a fan of disc brakes on road bikes. Makes them look cumbersome, awkard, less elegant or that their purpose is for something other than the pursuit of speed.

But nice bike and congrats.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I am, however, not a fan of disc brakes on road bikes.

You probably weren't a fan of horseless carriages either.... :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not the initial designs, no.

I never said that I don't see the purpose of them, I do. However, I'm not a fan of how they look on a road bike. That's all.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wrath Rob
    I'm now armed with baby oil. Johnson's as recommended by MRS. I think I'm more concerned about getting this one past the wife than I am in trying to get the new bike past her!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I never said that I don't see the purpose of them, I do. However, I'm not a fan of how they look on a road bike. That's all.

Only pulling your chain. I really like discs - makes the bike look more purposeful and aggressive
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Only pulling your chain. I really like discs - makes the bike look more purposeful and aggressive

This 100% and they are better.

opens can of worms and sits back and waits...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    See I'm differen't I think carbon (deep head tube, oversized bottom bracket specifically) and deepish rims on the wheels makes a road bike look aggressive without (it designed right) not removing the simplistic-elegance of the design.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    rubertoe wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

This 100% and they are better.

opens can of worms and sits back and waits...

Must be heavy though - 9kg for a bike at that price / spec? Weight isn't everything, but that still strikes me as a bit lardy - my commuter isn't much heavier than that!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Must be heavy though

What - the disc brakes? Yes, very slightly (I think it was 20g heavier than a 105 caliper set-up) but not enough for you or I to notice on a bike. What you or I will notice (especially if you're big, BigMat) is that the bike stops. It's not for nothing that many tandems are fitted with BB7s.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I'm now armed with baby oil. Johnson's as recommended by MRS. I think I'm more concerned about getting this one past the wife than I am in trying to get the new bike past her!

Worth noting that baby oil has a quite distinctive smell. Might be worth being up-front about it rather than seeming like you invented what is, quite clearly, a c*ck & bull story that you smell of baby oil because you've applied it to your bike..... :wink::wink::wink:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Must be heavy though

What - the disc brakes? Yes, very slightly (I think it was 20g heavier than a 105 caliper set-up) but not enough for you or I to notice on a bike. What you or I will notice (especially if you're big, BigMat) is that the bike stops. It's not for nothing that many tandems are fitted with BB7s.

Not that heavy then. I can see the appeal of the stopping power, never been overly enamoured with caliper brakes. Where's the weight on that bike then? I mean 9kg isn't heavy, but with a frame like that and top end finishing kit I would have thought it would be around a kilo lighter? Looks lovely by the way.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    BigMat wrote:
    Must be heavy though

youre also forgetting the heavier hubs.

the calipers might be just 20g heavier but the hubs themselves are much heavier.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    youre also forgetting the heavier hubs.

the calipers might be just 20g heavier but the hubs themselves are much heavier.

By how much? In disc-specific wheels, what you might gain on the hubs you save on the rims because there's no brake tracks. I know where I'd prefer the weight. I included the discs & screws in my weighing exercise.

My ALUMINIUM Volagi wheels are 100g heavier for the pair the Shimano RS80 Carbon laminate wheels. I'm guessing that the Volagi Carbon wheels will be lighter.

BTW read today that the latest road-specific BB7s are 20g lighter than those I have.

Honestly, I think the weight question for disc brakes is over-blown.
  • Wrath Rob
    Nice ride home with a mate and even got complimented on the bike on the way home. Now for some nice pics
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Given the choice I would go for discs if there was a caliper and disc version of the same bike, they just work better in all conditions. People will get used to the look as the only reason it looks odd at the moment is because it's out of the ordinary.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The only issue I have with discs is the rubbing. I get it with the BB7s on my Civia, it's just hard to get them to align properly.

I can't wait for hydraulic road levers and I'll make the leap at that point.

Beautiful bike Rob.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    The only issue I have with discs is the rubbing. I get it with the BB7s on my Civia, it's just hard to get them to align properly.

Have you taken a look at the Volagi set-up video? That method is incredibly simple. A Torx T25 screwdriver is an essential tool. The other thing to check is that the disc is true. Disc truing tools are available.

The time I get rubbing is when I go through a muddy puddle but it soon clears.

I'm trying to decide if I'd go to hydraulic when hydraulic Di2 shifters become available. Volagi have a Parabox conversion but that's too much of a compromise for me