My new bike....

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
...has arrived at the LBS. Well, the frame at least. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it is before I post some pics tomorrow? Bear in mind my previous "ideal commuter" threads. Beer at the Morpeth for the closest guess and the most imaginative. Anyone who's been patient enough to listen to my rantings about it is excluded as you have already had all of the gory details pressed upon you....
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I'm guessing the mudguards won't be white.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    ...has arrived at the LBS. Well, the frame at least. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it is before I post some pics tomorrow? Bear in mind my previous "ideal commuter" threads. Beer at the Morpeth for the closest guess and the most imaginative. Anyone who's been patient enough to listen to my rantings about it is excluded as you have already had all of the gory details pressed upon you....

Think velosport have just spoiled the surprise.....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Think velosport have just spoiled the surprise.....

Lazer etching indeed. Looks sweet. Welcome to the Ti commuter club.

What's the build going to be?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Damn you Velosport! Apparently Ed was taking snaps last night before I could get to see it :cry:

Anyway, that only shows some etching. Its the rest of the spec that's the interesting bit. And yes, the mudguards won't be white.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Damn you Velosport! Apparently Ed was taking snaps last night before I could get to see it :cry:

Anyway, that only shows some etching. Its the rest of the spec that's the interesting bit. And yes, the mudguards won't be white.
    Silver sequined mudguards to go with the Ti finish?
    That laser etching is very nice. Probably doubles as a deterrent for bike thieves :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    At least we know where the cap money went...!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished article!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Wrath Rob
    Ok, here's a (poor) photo
    8202906674_38c778b5d9.jpg

Seen all of the bits in store now, its going to look fantastic.
  • Wrath Rob
    dhope wrote:
    Silver sequined mudguards to go with the Ti finish?
    That laser etching is very nice. Probably doubles as a deterrent for bike thieves :D
    That is a genius idea! Why didn't I think of that before. I'm going to cancel the black mudguards and tell the Velosport guys to break out the superglue :lol:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Ti? Disks? Luckyyyyy...

Where are these other pics people are talking about?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    looks shiny, cant make out the logo though...
  • Wrath Rob
    On Velosport's Facebook page, though not much of a picture.
  • Wrath Rob
    Pangolin wins the prize, clearer picture:
    8201836669_fd05e46fa6.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    thats very very nice.

How much is the frame out of interest?

Also personally id be holding off for hydraulic discs before going down the road disc route. The cabled discs just feel so soft and spongy when ive tested them...

So get one of these:
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG343
  • pangolin
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Pangolin wins the prize, clearer picture:
    8201836669_fd05e46fa6.jpg

Lol, for spotting the disk mount or for the Napoleon Dynamite reference?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    1 and all ;)

@Spassypaddy: SRAM have only just announced that they're working on hydraulic brake/shifters. Since I want this now, rather than in 18-24 months time I'll go with mechanical disks. Once they hydraulics are out and working and at sensible money then I'll probably upgrade. Mechanical-to-hydraulic adaptors are just over-complicating the situation as well as adding to the cost of the build. Speaking of which, once completed this will be the most expensive bike in my stable.

Full spec: Qoroz Ti custom built frame to my own geometry based on their Race Won bike but more relaxed geometry, Kinesis carbon disc fork, Chris King headset, Avid BB7 disk brakes, hand built wheels with Hope hubs and Mavic Open Pro CD rims, Shimano 105 brakes, shifters, dérailleurs, Ultegra compact chainset. Other finishing kit to be confirmed.

Hopefully it will be ready to roll on Thursday :D
  • spasypaddy
    Rob, what i recommend you do is go to a shop and test ride a road bike with cabled disc brakes if you havent already.

SRAM havent even announced it properly, its spy shots only at the moment... The adapters are brilliant from what i understand but havent used one. Will probably be cheaper than having to in 18-24months putting a full SRAM red groupset on the bike...

Alternatively as SRAM are the only ones who have 'announced it' put SRAM apex on this bike for now and then you'll only need to upgrade shifters and brakes when the hydraulics are released...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got BB5s on my Boardman (as well as having used Avid Juicy 7s and Formula Oro K18s on my MTB, and a load of others on demo bikes) and the cable brakes are very good. Not quite as much bite as hydros, but better in crappy weather than the 105 calipers I had on my Ribble. They got loads better when I switched from Sram Apex to Shimano 105 shifters, and a little bit better again when I removed the cross brake levers to take out the last bit of flex in the system.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy
    hmm the ones ive used have had the crosstops attached, this might account for the amount of pull on the lever. literally have to pull it tight to the bars to get any kind of grip.
  • Wrath Rob
    spasypaddy wrote:
    hmm the ones ive used have had the crosstops attached, this might account for the amount of pull on the lever. literally have to pull it tight to the bars to get any kind of grip.
    Well, I'll let you know how they are on Thursday
  • dhope
    Kinesis DC37 forks?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pangolin
    My bb7's took a bit of bedding in, and a fair bit of fettling, but certainly ended up better than pulling tight to the bar. No crosstops on mine.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, just a careful bit of setting up and a couple of rides for them to bed in and they'll be fine. I'm nowhere near having to change the pads either, and I've had it for over a year now.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    dhope wrote:
    Kinesis DC37 forks?

That is a lovely looking frame...

I have the CXd forks on my crosslight pro. It replaced a Pompetamine from On One and the frame especially the forks were a quite an upgrade. Pretty meaty looking and somehow stiffer yet more comfortable.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have BB7s on my tandem (Ok so its flat bars rather than road bars but that should make a difference). They are the mutts nuts for stopping power, despite having twice the weight on a tandem well Ok 1.67 x the weight) and pretty easy to set up.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Wrath Rob
    dhope wrote:
    Kinesis DC37 forks?
    Them's the ones.

Just had the full quote through for the build, on top of the frame. I'm currently sticking my fingers in my eyes and shouting "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T SEE YOU!" very loudly. I really need to sell my car to pay for this. Anyone want a turbo charged MX5?
  • pangolin
    Just get the parts and build yourself?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • dhope
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Kinesis DC37 forks?
    Them's the ones.

Just had the full quote through for the build, on top of the frame. I'm currently sticking my fingers in my eyes and shouting "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T SEE YOU!" very loudly. I really need to sell my car to pay for this. Anyone want a turbo charged MX5?
    MX5? Hairdressers car, the sort I'd expect someone with tarty white mudguards to drive.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    pangolin wrote:
    Just get the parts and build yourself?
    Free build from the LBS, apart from the wheels.

@DHope, its a good thing you've moved east. Oh, wait, havn't I got a cap to give you at some point? It might have to have some "special" attention ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd put BB7's on it, they stop as well as Hydro's and with similar lever feel once they are set up right (hardly rocket science) but they are a lot heavier than Hydro.

My Commuter uses Clarkes CMD5 which aren't the best word in braking (pretty good though) but are the lightest Cable discs I can find.

Although Magura used to do Hydro dropped levers they seem to have stopped - and they didn't include shifters.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    [quote="Wrath Rob" I really need to sell my car to pay for this. Anyone want a turbo charged MX5?[/quote]

oh go on then i will have it

swap you for a twix an a packet of cola flavored hubba bubba

Mk1 im guessing?
    Keeping it classy since '83