optimisticbiker reborn

Comments

• Progress gets quicker once you get some strength back. Was managing to roll onto side, push legs over edge of plinth and sit up on edge of plinth today. Hard work, but shows arms are responding to bike/weights workouts. Also getting more confident re balance and sitting on edge with less concern about nose-diving to floor :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Sounds like great progress, OB. Keep up the good work and keep us posted please! All the best :)
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Fantastic, keep up the good work buddy!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm a bad person

I giggled at the thought of a face plant.

I'll go and sit with the Projects team as penance....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Saw your tweet to @ChrisHuber, OB.

Hope something interesting comes of that. Keep us informed!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Keep up the good work, OB.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I'm a bad person

Yes you are KB :)

Seriously its one of the hardest things to deal with - when being rolled in bed, hoisted, or on the plinth in the physio gym - the scary feeling of lack of control and of falling and doing more damage...
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    Saw your tweet to @ChrisHuber, OB.

Hope something interesting comes of that. Keep us informed!! :)

He's following me, but no response as yet. unless he emailed via twitter which didn't work initially as twitter didn't like my email domain at first.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm a bad person

Yes you are KB :)

Seriously its one of the hardest things to deal with - when being rolled in bed, hoisted, or on the plinth in the physio gym - the scary feeling of lack of control and of falling and doing more damage...

I would think it is more the psychology of losing control, and possibly the hardest thing to deal with. I guess at some point you will find a new 'level' and live with that. Fear of the unknown may play a part as well... doing something 'new'.

It's almost like you have to fall to know you can recover from it... under your circumstances the fear of that fall will be huge - given what happened last time.

(Oh and sitting with the Projects people was HORRIBLE. I'll never be bad again)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,876
    And how exactly did you explain this all to the Projects people? "Hi, I'm Kieran. I've been bad to someone on the internet, so I have to come and sit next to you lot as penance"? :? :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Hello OB

Just found this thread, to say I am stunned by your accident is an understatement.

Have you started writing your blog yet? I would like to follow you on your journey.

Regards

YP
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • First home visit today. going to be weird seeing house after 3 months. only a couple of hours tho..

@yp been keeping notes and daily diary, but writing enough interesting material for a weekly blog beyond me at the mo. it'll come..
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Keep up the good work OB - Your positive outlook is very inspiring
  • Great - I'm sure it'll be a massive emotional step to get home - however short it is.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    Excellent. Always good to hear of your progress. Hope it goes well.
  • Glad to hear you are making progress OB.

If it was my wife she'd have probably saved the washing up that I left for me to do on the home visit :roll:

I'm sure there is plenty of material for your blog. You don't need to restrict it to the physical things that you have achieved that week. You have an active mind, perhaps a new perspective and enough time to properly think things through. If anything your opinions are even more pertinent that they ever were.

Keep up the good work.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • How's it going OB?

How was the home visit? I would imagine it would be mixed emotions...
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • It was, but managed to make a couple more since then, one whole Sunday afternoon with about 30 friends & relations to celebrate the birth of my first grandchild, a girl, in Melbourne (what would we do without Skype!), and a Friday evening supper with family. :D
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    He lives! Congrats OB.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Excellent news OB.

Congratulations on the new arrival.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Need to clear garage so work on house adaptations can start. Already arranged clearance and storage of workshop/machine tools but need someone local to take 3 bikes (old mtb, old commuter, weekend bike) and clean/tidy them up ready for ebaying plus strip down the Condor frame and bag up parts for potential sale or store and get frame to Condor to see if it can be salvaged.
  • rubertoe
    Need to clear garage so work on house adaptations can start. Already arranged clearance and storage of workshop/machine tools but need someone local to take 3 bikes (old mtb, old commuter, weekend bike) and clean/tidy them up ready for ebaying plus strip down the Condor frame and bag up parts for potential sale or store and get frame to Condor to see if it can be salvaged.

If you need any help re: bikes drop me a PM.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• good luck with the renovation/adaptions, positive news that this is progressing , good to hear you back with updates , now perhaps key , how big a telly are you going to be able to get away with ready for the tours this year as clearly an aid to recovery !!!!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • velohutts wrote:
    good luck with the renovation/adaptions, positive news that this is progressing , good to hear you back with updates , now perhaps key , how big a telly are you going to be able to get away with ready for the tours this year as clearly an aid to recovery !!!!!

Stuck with my 19" on ITV4 :( I guess as my 46"/Cable/Sky wont be accessible to me til late July or poss Aug.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Much respect OB - Keep at it & congrats on the addition to the family.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,876
    Congratulations on the grandchild (and on getting home for a get together with friends and family for that matter).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,793
    A grandchild? How old ARE you?!

If I may ask, will/how will you be able to travel in the medium term? Is flying going to be possible, or too soon to tell?

Btw, I watched some of the best years of the tour (2000-2002 - if you like fiction) on a 14" telly. 19" will be plenty big enough to see when someone is about to crack.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Just spoke to OB on the phone, he sounds in good spirits!
  • rubertoe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Just spoke to OB on the phone, he sounds in good spirits!

You got e-mail.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    Glad to hear things are progressin OB, and congratulations on the grandaughter.
    Let me know if I can help with any of the bike related stuff.