Dave Anderson 953 - Completed!

Comments

• dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    Can we see it with the nemesis rims and the tan sidewalls or is that pushing my luck? :D
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Those pics just made me swear out loud!

Stunning bike - one of the nicest I've seen. Enjoy.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Love the frame, just not sure about the colour of the bar tape, saddle and hubs. Just too many colours for me.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Captainlip wrote:
    least it wont get robbed.

You might need to elucidate, old chap.

OP, it's a lovely bike. Very lovely indeed!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I absolutely love it. It's the most beautiful bike I've seen on "your road bikes".

What are the mounts on the seat stays? Is it for a rack of some sort? Are there mudguard drillings?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    dcj wrote:
    Can we see it with the nemesis rims and the tan sidewalls or is that pushing my luck? :D

Well the cx tubs have tan sidewalls, so that might have to do :D
    BR 1979 wrote:
    I absolutely love it. It's the most beautiful bike I've seen on "your road bikes".

What are the mounts on the seat stays? Is it for a rack of some sort? Are there mudguard drillings?

Thanks, people have been very kind, although I know some people will hate it I'm sure. They are indeed rack mounts as I hope to ride it down to the pyrenees next year, lightweight style. Mudguard fittings too. I've got some some of the funky Velo Orange hammered guards, but I'll have a spring/summer's use of the bike first before I subject it to proper wet weather duty. (And yes, I know our past few summer's have been far from dry!)
  • APIII wrote:
    ...although I know some people will hate it I'm sure.

*Pfft* who cares! :D
  • jordan_217
    APIII wrote:
    ...although I know some people will hate it I'm sure.

*Pfft* who cares! :D

+1. Jealousy is a cruel mistress.....
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:

Don't think it's jealousy at all. I'm not so keen on some bits of it, but I'm not jealous. It really doesn't matter as long as it puts a big grin on APIII's face when he rides it. Enjoy!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Don't think it's jealousy at all. I'm not so keen on some bits of it, but I'm not jealous. It really doesn't matter as long as it puts a big grin on APIII's face when he rides it. Enjoy!

Just messin'. Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things! Totally agree with you, as long as the OP likes it and it get's him out on the road, turning the pedals and having fun then that's all that matters.
  • * And the cycling angels rejoice*

You sir, have my utter most admoration. Youre bicycle is nothing short of excellent.

What joy!
    :mrgreen:
  • APIII
    dcj wrote:

Not the best photo, but you get the idea. I think plain black tyres might look a little better?

8284412171_654e207705_b.jpg
    untitled-9497.jpg by Fraser Kynaston, on Flickr
  • APIII wrote:
    dcj wrote:

Not the best photo, but you get the idea. I think plain black tyres might look a little better?

8284412171_654e207705_b.jpg
    untitled-9497.jpg by Fraser Kynaston, on Flickr

The Nemesis with cross tyres rock!
    left the forum March 2023
  • That's a stunner! What a great thread.

I hope you kept those King hubs - I loved them!
  • APIII
    I have some Dugast tubs that have never been used, so I want to see if they'll fit (the Gommitalia tyres in the photo are a 30mm tub). I have to admit, the nemesis rims lend the bike a certain purpose...

Definitely keeping the CK hubs. I hate to say it, but this could be all the bike I need - road, off-road, tourer :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Much much better with the nemesis.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    :mrgreen: great with tan sidewalks and dark shallow rims. Loved the orange Chris king hubs on the other wheel set. Combining the hubs would be utter perfection for me. And thanks for making the effort to show us. Appreciated a lot.
  • Humans haven't invented words to describe this bike with any justice. I want.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Much better with tan walls, it's in keeping with the excellent classic look.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    That is a stunner. The colour choice is sublime. Im not a fan of that stem though, it reminds me of a gypsies caravan.

Its too much, the rest is tre bien!
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • I love the frame and forks but... i felt a bit underwhelmed when i saw the complete build. :oops:
    To my eye, (and only my opinion) the build looks a bit too "busy" .
    -The stem and seatpost , although a nice touch take too much away from the frame / forks - i personally think a plain Ti post /silver stem would've looked better.
    -The bars i think would look better with a traditional bend
    - The tape and saddle while nice just look a bit too much - as do the tyres. - i think a black saddle/tape and tyres would look a lot better and along with a silver stem/post would tone it down a bit 8)
    but tiz still a beauty - would look cool with some honjo mudguards :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I love the frame and forks but... i felt a bit underwhelmed when i saw the complete build. :oops:

TBH this was exactly what I thought :oops:
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • APIII
    I love the frame and forks but... i felt a bit underwhelmed when i saw the complete build. :oops:
    -The stem and seatpost , although a nice touch take too much away from the frame / forks - i personally think a plain Ti post /silver stem would've looked better.
    -The bars i think would look better with a traditional bend
    - The tape and saddle while nice just look a bit too much - as do the tyres. - i think a black saddle/tape and tyres would look a lot better and along with a silver stem/post would tone it down a bit 8)
    but tiz still a beauty - would look cool with some honjo mudguards :)

No probs, I understand where you (and others) are coming from. I may tone it down in future, if I can find the right parts, but I've had enough for now. GP4000's are back on though, for practical reasons as much as anything else :D
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Ok - long awaited (by many of us!!) finished pics. And it confirms a couple of things really;

1/. Dave Anderson are capable of some incredible craftmanship and must the serious option for anyone with the money.

2/. This particular frame must rate as perhaps the 'FRAME OF 2012'. I've seen nothing better. The build, the colours.

The actual execution of the bike build;

1/. Taste is a very personal thing. I rate the frame a 10 out of 10. I'd probably go for blue not green - but giving the frame less than a 10 would be unfair. I rate the build in its current guise more like a 7 or 8. Not because I view the rest as not costing enough or anything snobby like that - just on asthetics.

2/. It was probably one of the more ambitious builds in 2012, with possibly the most unusual colour choices I've seen. However, the frame is testament to those choices and for me, it really works. Some of the attention to detail was also pretty impressive.

3/. There should probably be an actual term for it, but there is a curious phenomenon where bike building at the early concept stage can often suffer from 'add ons' that potentialy detract. The process goes along the lines of; well, I have yellow decaling on my frame, so why don't I go for yellow tyres? And I could add yellow brake lines also. How about yellow hoods. etc etc. I'm not judging - and I can promise that I've done it myself. You just sort of get 'caught in the moment'.

More bike like this please, people!

I'd also be very curious to see this bike in a years time (please!).

(My vote would be for a white brooks racing saddle with white leather handlebar tape. Alloy stem, bars and post)
  • An absolutely stunning build. I'd probably ride it with less worthy consumables but such is the quality of the finishing kit I think it will acquire a wonderful patina with age.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    What angle is the seat tube?
    Mañana
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You could go mad trying to nail the perfect build. It's pretty stunning.

EDIT: Would it be indecent to ask how much a frame like this weighs? I take it 953 is pretty darned light.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Very nice indeed well done
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • APIII
    pb21 wrote:
    What angle is the seat tube?

73deg
    Would it be indecent to ask how much a frame like this weighs? I take it 953 is pretty darned light.

Not that light, especially as it's lugged. Frame was approx 1700g with headset fitted and the fork was 750g I think :shock:
    That said, the weight of the complete bike feels pretty good (saved a few grams with seatpost/saddle/bars/cassette, etc)