Dave Anderson 953 - Completed!

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Great looking classic design.

Carbon is the way forward though, metal bikes conduct microwaves and turn you into a little popsical.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    ademort wrote:
    Looks great. When will you have it built up, and if i may ask what is the budget for your bike.
    Ademort

It's ready to ship tomorrow, so with a bit of luck it will be here for next weekend. That coincides with the club xmas do, so I'll be buying the fella who runs the local cytech training a few beers I think!
    Budget was never set as such, but has been creeping up with the various extras, so currently around £6k once fully built.
    tremayne wrote:
    Honest question - what do you think to the stem?

There have only been two constants through the whole 18 months, the spec of the frame i.e. the geometry and what I wanted to use it for, and the colours. I only decided to add the stem just before the build started, because i didn't want to regret it later when it was too late. I think it's beautiful, but I take your point that it could be too much. If that's the case once built up, then it will look very nice on the mantelpiece!
    tremayne wrote:
    Just had a look at their website - and a of the opinion this is their best work yet (certainly of those shown on their site).

Thankfully his frames are a lot better than his website skills :lol: There are some nice photos of his frames displayed at NAHBS on John Prolly's site (http://www.prollyisnotprobably.com)
    bencolem wrote:
    953 fork is awesome! What does it weigh?

Approx 600g I believe.

What are the drop outs? Can't help but wonder if a mango headset would work better or not? Please tell me that you're going to remove the Specialized logo off that saddle!

I'm not sure to be honest, they have had all casting marks removed.
    I considered a mango headset, but decided on something that would be as "invisible" as possible. I've got the mango hubs and am now thinking I should have stuck with silver :roll:
    I have to do something about the logo! I did investigate getting the whole central spine covered, but it wasn't feasible.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Re: Dave Anderson 953 (frame finished)
    by APIII » 02 Dec 2012 17:55

ademort wrote:
    Looks great. When will you have it built up, and if i may ask what is the budget for your bike.
    Ademort

It's ready to ship tomorrow, so with a bit of luck it will be here for next weekend. That coincides with the club xmas do, so I'll be buying the fella who runs the local cytech training a few beers I think!
    Budget was never set as such, but has been creeping up with the various extras, so currently around £6k once fully built.

I just hope it arrives undamaged can,t wait to see it finished and good luck. You should get 30 years of pleasure out of that frame, barring accidents. It,s a real dream machine.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Drop-dead gorgeous, a work of art.

The stem. I think I like it - fancy lugwork on a handbuilt stem, sheer decadence, darling!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Looks fantastic. A work of art.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    I keep returning to these pics!

Stupendous!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Stunning!!!!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    That's a work of art. Its beautiful work. I'd seriously like one.

Lugs look awesome. Doing some research it doesn't seem possible to combine them and spec oversize tubing i admire on tig welded frames.
    As far as I can see that is the only downside to choosing lugs over tig welding.
    It might limit the outer edge of stiffness and performance with stainless tubing, if that matters.

I assume from the thread you have waited 18 months for anderson to build it?
    I am guessing there is import duty to pay?

I'm also guessing I am not the only person on the forum making plans :wink:
  • APIII
    Yeah, it was originally around a 13 month wait, but various things pushed it back. You can look at that as a positive i.e. time to save up, think about what you want, savour the experience, etc., or a negative, time to spend your money on other things, changing your mind over and over, etc. I definitely saw both sides...

The import duty wasn't pleasant, but I knew it was coming, so had factored it in.

Anyhow, the frame arrived last Friday and the build has started. The shifters came today which was the last thing I was waiting for, so should be able to finish it by the weekend assuming I get the time.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    APIII wrote:
    assuming I get the time.

you owe it to us to make time :D
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    I am going to put some time aside over the weekend for this :lol:
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Very very nice
    Totally unique
    Can't think of a better way to spend money on a bike
    jc
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    That is awesome and I dont even like green bikes, somehow that all works.

Any pics of the full article?
  • APIII
    Just finished it this evening. Pretty happy overall. I may change a few things, component-wise, but for now I'll leave it as it is and just ride it. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but appreciate the interest thus far.

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight.
  • APIII
    So I grabbed the camera this afternoon and rode the bike the 400 yards to the park to take some photos. I had to pinch the eggbeaters off the cx bike so I wasn't tottering around on cleats while I took them. Just missed the sun, but you can't have everything.

Here it is

8278181316_a106ab835c_b.jpg
    Anderson 953 by Fraser Kynaston, on Flickr

8278182556_f07127a0ee_b.jpg

8277123483_4111d1067f_b.jpg
  • least it wont get robbed.
    MADONE 5.2
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    That really is a dream bike, it looks almost too good to ride :D If it ides as good as it looks though, you'll never want to get off it :wink:

What tyres are you using, they look great.
  • random man wrote:

Those are Vittoria Open Corsa SC... wonderful smooth light clinchers... if you want I have a pair with a few cuts and bruises which I don't use anymore, s I moved to tubulars... just drop me a PM, I can let them go for a few peanuts
    left the forum March 2023
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    random man wrote:

Those are Vittoria Open Corsa SC... wonderful smooth light clinchers... if you want I have a pair with a few cuts and bruises which I don't use anymore, s I moved to tubulars... just drop me a PM, I can let them go for a few peanuts

Thanks for that, I'm interested as long as the cuts aren't serious.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    probably the nicest bike I've ever seen on here.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Captainlip wrote:
    least it wont get robbed.

Huh?

Anyway, very nice. You can't argue with the quality of the kit. It must be luxury to ride!
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Holy moly. That is ideal. Stunning. Kind of hate to say it, but wonder if a light tan (to pick up on the sidewalls) wouldn't work better than the (beautiful) dark tan saddle and bar tape?
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Ohh, and those wheels are soo finely judged. Would have been so easy to get this wrong but the rims in particular are stunning. Love it.
  • APIII
    bencolem wrote:
    Holy moly. That is ideal. Stunning. Kind of hate to say it, but wonder if a light tan (to pick up on the sidewalls) wouldn't work better than the (beautiful) dark tan saddle and bar tape?

Thanks, but all I did was put it together :D
    I thought the same thing re the bar tape. It was supposed to be honey, but he slightly over-dyed the leather. He did ask me if it was ok before he finished it, but I couldn't make him start again.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Oooooffff !! That is beautiful !!!
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    That'll do pig
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    it IS even better looking assembled than the frame on its own :D
    actually the flat light is perfect for your shots.

and you really did put the 18 month wait to good use.
    i'd be suppy happy with that as it is now, and curious to compare how it looks with dark grey rims, like mavic CD colour. can someone on the forum have a play on photoshop or something?
  • APIII
    I did quickly try my Nemesis rims with a 30mm cross tub and they just fit, so ill swap the cassette over to 11 speed and see how it looks
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I love my Enigma but that is gorgeous
  • Lovely looking bike, almost a shame to ride it really.