'Twitter Taliban'

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I dunno, The whole look at what we re doing and how open we are approach from the Team isnt working. I actually think there's basically nothing she can do so why not go for the flat out attack. It was only going to go one way but there comes a point where people need to stand up for the truth.

Personally I don't judge Sky, Cound or Froome any differently now. I'm sure the professionally outraged like Festinagirl and the velocast will say it's bad for the sport but I think thats a load of nonsense to be honest.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    She is geniunely damaging Chris's reputation along with Team Sky's reputation by continuing to engage.

No matter how much energy she wastes, she will never ever convince every single Twaliban user that Chris has been 100% clean throughout his career. I agree the abuse is disgusting, either ignore it or close the account.

To then start making references to ex dopers winning this years tour is stirring up more trouble and I am sure Chris must get some stick for her crusade.

I am astounded that she is his manager.
  • ddraver
    tom3 wrote:
    She is geniunely damaging Chris's reputation along with Team Sky's reputation by continuing to engage.

How? Really? You look at Froome differently now? Come on...
    - @ddraver
  • tom3
    ddraver wrote:
    tom3 wrote:

How? Really? You look at Froome differently now? Come on...

google michelle cound team sky and see what appears on the front page = bad press.

Do you associate (apart from Cath Wiggins) any other cycling WAG with bad press for the team.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Who is this actually helping though? Froome? I dont think so. The team? Hardly. And now she's done a reverse move, I didnt mean xx etc etc - and locked down her account.

She alluded to it in a tweet yesterday but I think that legal action has been considered as far back as when all the innuendo started against Wiggins and the team in 2012. But the spectre of Lance and his regular recourse to legal action against anyone and everyone, looms large - 'oooh, just like Lance'...as well as giving some kind of, well, recognition away from the Twitter echo chamber to the lunatics.

Of course her own frequent anti-Wiggins tweets in 2012-13 were equally ill-advised, even if it titillated the peanut gallery.
  • ddraver
    Do you think that wil stop Team Sky winning, Froome winning or reduce the number of Sky Boxes that Sky - the sponser) sell? Becasue if not then all it's done is given them a bit of free advertising...
    - @ddraver
  • tom3
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you think that wil stop Team Sky winning, Froome winning or reduce the number of Sky Boxes that Sky - the sponser) sell? Becasue if not then all it's done is given them a bit of free advertising...

Not one rider or their associates is bigger than a pro cycling team as large as Team Sky. I just think she would do as well to remember that.

the next 'british cycling' schooled, media trained athelete (robot) will just take over the mantle.
  • Richmond Racer
    tom3 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not one rider or their associates is bigger than a pro cycling team as large as Team Sky. I just think she would do as well to remember that.

the next 'british cycling' schooled, media trained athelete (robot) will just take over the mantle.

Yeah - Wiggins has always been fabulous with the media :wink:
  • tom3
    tom3 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yeah - Wiggins has always been fabulous with the media :wink:

good point well made!
  • Richmond Racer
    ^and to be honest, I think PK might be of a not dissimilar mold...
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I find it increasingly hard to understand why any genuine pro cycling fans would want to go anywhere near the particular corner of Twitter occupied by the Twaliban and their foes/acolytes. It's a cesspit. Our house has got a cesspit. It's a great place to let sh!t collect but I have no desire to go swimming in it...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    But hold on- I thought the Twaliban were genuine pro cycling fans who had taken it upon themselves to make the sport cleaner. They are doing this for all of us aren't they. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think you'll find the stuff with Froome's girlfriend is of her own making.

How so? By being Froome's girlfriend? By calling out people who make completely unsubstantiated accusations?

By throwing out insinuations of her own and then trying the very same 'but I wasn't talking about that person' defence that gets used by people talking about her man.
  • ddraver
    Ok, I actually read her tweets from the start and I never thought she singled out Contador in anyway. That was everyone else...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Pross wrote:
    I think you'll find the stuff with Froome's girlfriend is of her own making.

Pross, whatever her initial tweets, there is absolutely no justification - no justification in the world - for the vile abuse thrown at her which includes rape threats, and the mildest of which seem to be the calling her a twunt.

As you know, I'm the last person to be a signed up member of her fan club - and I dont care for Froome - but this is utterly disgusting stuff.

To say its of her own making, is akin to saying that a woman 'asked for it' by going out dressed in a short skirt.

Of course there's no justification for comments like that and I haven't seen them as I very really use Twitter and don't follow her so I only see them when people link on here.

However, she's a regular Twitter user and should know how the system works i.e. you make a controversial statement and someone low life, who seems to think laws and behaving like you would in real life don't apply when hiding behind an assumed online identity, will flame you for it. She should report the threatening behaviour (it's illegal) and leave Twitter but she won't as she likes the sound of her own virtual voice too much.
  • Richmond Racer
    ^sorry if I went off on one a bit, Pross
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:
    Ok, I actually read her tweets from the start and I never thought she singled out Contador in anyway. That was everyone else...

An ex-doper could be any number of riders. It certainly couldn't be Contador though.

Imo Froome and Sky management are seriously worried about Contador. He is floating right now and not even at his best.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:

An ex-doper could be any number of riders. It certainly couldn't be Contador though.

Still doping then? :P
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    erm, well that just flat out isnt true is it Frenchie...but yes it could have been any number of riders unfortunately

We heard a lot about "improvement" from bertie last year so we ll see how close to his best we are...
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's a completely legitimate tactic to turn the spotlight on the vile abuse they get on a day to day basis. There are no words for what followed. I like the enough is enough attitude and am enjoying the squirming of bullies trying not to pretend they're being bullied by a woman.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just because she is the partner of a TDF winner doesn't make her intelligent or capable of sense with regard making silly comments.

That being said I really dont understand the people on social media sites that resort to appalling comments. Im not sure whether they genuinely think it or whether they simply (and sadistically) derive enjoyment from it. Either way they are entirely reprehensible individuals; morally bereft creatures. A lot of social ills come down to children who were abused, not loved by their parents, were brought up by morally dubious people. Sad times in this modern society.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Imagine someone was publicly ripping someone you loved, or your family members, reputation apart. Wouldn't you want to fight to protect them? It's only natural.

Also Frenchie you have excelled yourself this time but you are right, he won't be winning the tour this year.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    sjmclean wrote:
    Imagine someone was publicly ripping someone you loved, or your family members, reputation apart. Wouldn't you want to fight to protect them? It's only natural.

Doing it with type just fuels them....she needs to take the 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' approach.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    LutherB wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Doing it with type just fuels them....she needs to take the 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' approach.
    the silent approach would be better. get the police involved if there are people making threats.

Twitter is meaningless dross, except when it gets nasty. some of the people that are on there should be locked up.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    sjmclean wrote:

She not only tweeting about Froome though, is she. She controversial about all sorts of stuff. Tweeting about the Pistorious case atm. Not that that is necessarily controversal but she just can't... I don't know.. shut up.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    sjmclean wrote:

If you don't promote yourself through social media you don't give the idiots a platform ... The account holder included ...
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Agree with RR, if she's getting the sort of abuse mentioned then it's disgusting. If she is affected by it, it's surely time to close her account, like Elise Christie did during the Winter Olympics. I wonder if MC believes closing the account would be like backing down?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah I've never followed her, but have came across her sometimes: Cath Wiggins etc.

One time on Twitter I was talking to someone who ran a blog, we were discussing if Wiggins could work with Froome again and vice versa. Now we hadn't used anyone's user handle. I woke up in the morning with about 4 maybe 5 replys, telling us how we knew nothing and we should shut up and talk about something we understood, there was some insult thrown in about us being stupid or that.

I found the whole situation bizarre and we then established she had must have been searching the name Froome and going from there. I find her very narcissistic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Generally I like to think of the more aggressive and obsessive people on twitter and Internet forums are like Joffry in Game Of Thrones. Young, insecure, inexperienced, stupid, arrogant, unpleasant a-holes who are quick to dish it out when the odds are in their favour but cowardly when they are not. And probably the product of incest.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    sjm - more likely that she was following the blogger
    - @ddraver