pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited June 2014 in Pro race
Who are they?
Mañana

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Are they related to the Facebook Fascists?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Some examples:-

@UCI_Overlord
    @festinagirl
    @cycletard
    @DiggerForum
    whatever the name of Not Mario Cipplini is

A collective of (usually) american "commentators," often related to www.cyclismas.com, who usually spout utter rubbish interspered with a rare nugget of something good (Kimmage defence fund being an example) which they can cling on to to claim they re relevant. Are feeling particularly please with themselves about Armstrong at the moment. Irrational Hatred of Team Sky/Wiggins becasue they are Team Sky/Wiggins. Always annonomous. Pretend they re helping cycling by asking "difficult questions" but usually just end up asking stupid questions.

They re the people Wiggins called W*nkrs and cnuts, and increasingly he's starting to look 100% correct...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    UCI_Overlord is ok. You can keep the rest.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:

He is a f^&kwit who needs a tissue time a pro replies to a tweet of his. He is also a proven liar. Not just someone who likes to stir the point, but an out and out liar.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    So they are essentially egotistical nobodies?
    Mañana
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    pb21 wrote:

On twitter? Surely not?
  • ddraver
    Ha ha - yes basically... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    pb21 wrote:

And yet people go on and on about them anyway, which is equally as tiresome. See also the Cyclingnews forum.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Timoid. wrote:

He is a f^&kwit who needs a tissue time a pro replies to a tweet of his. He is also a proven liar. Not just someone who likes to stir the point, but an out and out liar.

yup. very strange character.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Also is 'Twitter Taliban' a sort of Godwin's law thing?
  • MrTapir wrote:

I'm sure they've compared DB and Sky to Hitler and the Nazis, on a number of occasions
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    OT

I wish TweeterSagan would come back. He was great value.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • OT

I wish TweeterSagan would come back. He was great value.

+1. Top entertainment during ToS and TdF
  • Another +1 for Tweeter Sagan. Pure comedy gold. Please come back Tweeter Sagan if you read this. And I don't really even like the real Sagan (and no I cannot tell you why it is just irrational).
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pb21 wrote:

On twitter? Surely not?

Quite.

On a similar note, I've heard that that Rick Chasey tweeter is excellent, when he's not too busy working.

For a change.
  • pb21 wrote:

On twitter? Surely not?

Quite.

On a similar note, I've heard that that Rick Chasey tweeter is excellent, when he's not too busy working.

For a change.

Funny you should say that, apparently whoever tweets as @intheGC is usually pretty spot on, about, well, everything.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

And yet people go on and on about them anyway, which is equally as tiresome. See also the Cyclingnews forum.

Daryl Webster , immediatly you know hes a first class knobhead because he has his real name as a handle ..... the sad loss seems to make it his lifes aim to come up with as many conspiracy theories involving Sky as possible , even sadder still you have others hanging off his balls believing every word he says , freaks the lot of them.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:

I'm sure they've compared DB and Sky to Hitler and the Nazis, on a number of occasions

I was sort of referring to the use of 'taliban' to refer to people who shout loudly on the internet...
  • MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

I was sort of referring to the use of 'taliban' to refer to people who shout loudly on the internet...

Ah, I thought you were using the Godwin's Law analogy, literally
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited November 2012
    MrTapir wrote:
    Its original use was in this article: http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/cycling-witch-trials/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Ah, I thought you were using the Godwin's Law analogy, literally

I was sort of paraphrasing it, but you've reminded me of the actual meaning,and yes I take your point.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Daryl Webster , immediatly you know hes a first class knobhead because he has his real name as a handle ..... the sad loss seems to make it his lifes aim to come up with as many conspiracy theories involving Sky as possible , even sadder still you have others hanging off his balls believing every word he says , freaks the lot of them.

See, I don't care. It's the same as people who pass around links to the Daily Mail and tell everybody how disgusted they are with the latest bout of racist/homophobic garbage they've printed. What are you reading it for, then?

The danger of people on this forum taking so much notice of the crazies on other forums is that so much time will be spent discussing their nutjob ideas that it'll dilute the (largely) reasonable discussion that takes place here.
  • ddraver
    I was thinking about this on the way home and actually came to grudgingly respect what Cyclismas have done. What started as a poor "cycling satire" website has grown into a major outlet of cycling news. First they spout Pro USA garbage about the current US golden boys, then (and this is the clever bit) they style themselves as a news AND satire website. Although some bits are clearly news and some bits clearly satire, there is a very large grey area between those to that they can fill with opinion pieces. If the guesses turn out to be right, then they were news, if they were hopelessly wrong, then they were just a laugh. Hence they manage to appear to be phenomenally up to speed. The best example of this was almost the Wiggins plastergate thing where it was only UCI Overlords hubris that caused the whole article to crumble. Had he replied to Cath Wiggins with a joke and said the piece was rubbish and ironic it would have been ignored.

We now have the situation where bits of info are leaked to both cyclingnews.com and cyclismas. However whereas cyclingnews.com have to check the sources and that the information is reliable, cyclismas can post any old rubbish they get, and it appears increasingly, make up on the spot. Therefore when the real news outlets finally release the news, cyclismas look like they were, once again, ahead of the game.

It sucks, but you can't deny it works. There are very few cycling journos that have not been duped by cyclismas now!
    - @ddraver
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If it was festinadude instead of festinagirl would anyone pay any attention to them? The internet is full of losers and creeps on social media and forums who see the word girl or babe in a username and it attracts them like flies to shite thinking they are in with a shot.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Its original use was in this article: http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/cycling-witch-trials/

Although I beat it, here, by two weeks, but with reference to Sky and a certain forum sub-section:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12882249&hilit=taliban
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MrTapir
    RichN95 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Although I beat it, here, by two weeks, but with reference to Sky and a certain forum sub-section:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12882249&hilit=taliban

"...known disease vector Levi Leipheimer..." thats a good line.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If it was festinadude instead of festinagirl would anyone pay any attention to them? The internet is full of losers and creeps on social media and forums who see the word girl or babe in a username and it attracts them like flies to shite thinking they are in with a shot.

The "girl" part in this case being rather disingenuous considering she's a middle aged mother from Sussex.

I'm slowly learning that twitter is like any part of life, you just have to learn to filter out the crap and keep an eye out for the little nuggets of goodness. There are some ball achingly annoying people who once in a while turn out something interesting.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Festina Mum would be much more hilarious
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There are some ball achingly annoying people.

Well f*ck you too.

;).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm still following you, what more do you want!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)