Wiggo hit by van

Comments

• Graeme_S wrote:
    Nice to see Wiggo's fully adjusted to life in the media spotlight:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/stat ... 68/photo/1

Not that I blame him mind.

Hope he and Shane Sutton both heal up quickly.
    He was only showing them his broken finger :wink:
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Nice to see Wiggo's fully adjusted to life in the media spotlight:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/stat ... 68/photo/1

Not that I blame him mind.

Hope he and Shane Sutton both heal up quickly.
    He was only showing them his broken finger :wink:

No, it's the number of his TdF victories over those of LA
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    His execution of the finger is outstanding. Whenever I do it the fingers to the sides obscure the effect :(
    Mañana
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    pb21 wrote:
    His execution of the finger is outstanding. Whenever I do it the fingers to the sides obscure the effect :(
    Try and break it first! Wiggo's loving it.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I could think of something better than a horde of Telegraph journalists waiting outside a hospital myself. But he's not helping himself here, is he. Haha.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    I could think of something better than a horde of Telegraph journalists waiting outside a hospital myself. But he's not helping himself here, is he. Haha.

The thing about Wiggo is that he really isnt arsed about whether he's 'helping himself'

Dont blame him either
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Is the van driver going to be burned to the stake ?- hope so.

She needs a serious lawyer, who will advise here to say, "Really sorry I didn't see him"

case dismissed - don't do it again
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Is the van driver going to be burned to the stake ?- hope so.

Many years ago I almost hit a cyclist in similar circumstances at night. We were both lucky and I learnt a lesson, some people don't get to learn the lesson so easily. At best a SMIDSY public information campaign would be a good idea.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I hope Wiggo's UCI Whereabout list was up to date...

Nov 6th, 5:00pm - 6:00pm: Wigan, UK, cycling to buy pie and chips from shop on corner.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    It's been linked to elsewhere on the forum, and I don't particularly want to drag the conversation further off topic...but:

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilo ... -cyclists/

It's an interesting read, if a slightly unsettling one.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
          Jez mon wrote:
          It's been linked to elsewhere on the forum, and I don't particularly want to drag the conversation further off topic...but:

But you are on Topic because the driver of the vehicle (as I understand the Incident) was leaving the petrol station and onto a busy wide main road with traffic leaving a Motorway.
          The driver is concentrating on fast moving traffic and just looks through Wiggins without seeing him and when a gap appears she drives off.
          OOPS, Doh I Didn't see you etc.
          "Quote" http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilo ...
          Light enters our eyes and falls upon the retina. It is then converted into electrical impulses, that the brain perceives as images. Only a small part of your retina, the centre bit called the fovea, can generate a high-resolution image. This is why we need to look directly at something, to see detail.

I had my "doh, I didn't see you" 16 years ago and was scrapped of the road into a Helicopter etc. :evil:

I read that both Wiggins and Sutton were wearing "Crash Hats" and a Fat lot of good it did them or I, because what is needed is a Suit of Armour or a Metal Canopy around them. (errmm, Just like the Motorist have :roll: )
          While in the Trauma unit the Heli-Doctor came in to see me and said perhaps you will wear a crash hat next time.
          No, I said because I will not do so until motorist and pedestrians are made to wear them also.
          Statistics show more deaths from head injuries by motorists and also pedestrians than cyclists. :!:
          The male nurse attending my bed (1 nurse per bed for 24 hours) was horrified and thought I was Joking but the Doctor agreed that he had seen reports stating the same thing.

My Theory is.
          That all people taking driving tests should first prove the ability to ride a Cycle on public roads in traffic.
          Modify that to include a Trike, motor scooter on medical grounds or any vehicle where the only protection is a "Crash Hat".

My soap opera continues with :- We need to lobby for the same "Law" on the continent that in a collision, the onus is on the vehicle driver to prove the cyclist was at fault and not the UK way of the cyclist proving the third party at fault.
          The Media again reported that Wiggins was in collision with the Van where as, the bloody van hit him. (and me)
          Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
        • Ridgerider wrote:
          I hope Wiggo's UCI Whereabout list was up to date...

Nov 6th, 5:00pm - 6:00pm: Wigan, UK, cycling to buy pie and chips from shop on corner.

You fool. The chippies in Wigan shut at dinner time.
          "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
        • deejay
          deejay Posts: 3,138

You fool. The chippies in Wigan shut at dinner time.
          Where do I get Mushy Peas for my supper then. :?: :roll:
          Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
        • Jez mon wrote:

that is NO excuse utter bollox, issue is people will not slow/stop for an appropriate time length to survey all that they see fully, it takes just 5 secs to scan all directions, not a nano second like we know idiot drivers take.
          Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
        • Happens all the time here. Car approaches T-junction slows but doesn't stop. Instead a quick glance to see if there are cars – no? OK, go – and pulls out on the approaching cyclist.

They're looking for cars, nothing else registers.
        • Did he get hit at about 6pm? Anyone know if he had lights?
          Contador is the Greatest
        • graeme_s-2
          graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
          Did he get hit at about 6pm? Anyone know if he had lights?
          I saw a grainy night time photo of the "crime scene" on the Sun website. They'd zoomed in on a bike leaning against a sign post, and it looked to have both a front and rear light.
        • yes he had lights
        • Wiggins, who days ago shaved off his trademark “lucky” sideburns
          Contador is the Greatest
        • Wiggins, who days ago shaved off his trademark “lucky” sideburns

The tabloids, led by the soaraway Sun, are ADAMENT that this led to his accident....my favourite line was along the lines of '...his lucky sideburns which were key to his Tour de France success....'
          :)
        • graeme_s-2
          graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
          The tabloids, led by the soaraway Sun, are ADAMENT that this led to his accident....my favourite line was along the lines of '...his lucky sideburns which were key to his Tour de France success....'
          I look forwards to reading about the Sun's "Compulsory side burns for cyclists" campaign as their contribution to improve cyclist's safety!
        • Graeme_S wrote:
          I look forwards to reading about the Sun's "Compulsory side burns for cyclists" campaign as their contribution to improve cyclist's safety!

Well, they were the ones who created the 'cut-out-and-keep' sidies to support Wiggo, so its entirely possible
        • scwxx77
          scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
          http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/no ... s-released
          As he was driven away he showed the finger to the waiting photographers although it was unclear whether he was merely demonstrating that the finger was not damaged, or whether he was conveying a message.
          :lol:
          Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
        • scwxx77 wrote:
          http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/08/shane-sutton-hospital-bradley-wiggins-released
          As he was driven away he showed the finger to the waiting photographers although it was unclear whether he was merely demonstrating that the finger was not damaged, or whether he was conveying a message.

Ah, now you see the Grauniard gets it
        • natrix
          natrix Posts: 1,111
          The voodoo theory gets even more interesting http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 2110948301

apparantly the 2012 velodrome was on the site of an old druids temple....
          ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
        • skylla wrote:
          Talking of the book...I picked it up this morning. Quick flick through - his take on Mr Froome during the Tour is verrrrry interesting....

oooooh, spoilers please!!

SPOILER ALERT!

Froome's tactics on the climb to La Toussuire comes across as well-dodgy side from the team perspective. Twice ignored the calls to back off the full throttle he was putting down, and to give Wiggo a bit of recovery after Wiggo had taken it up (and dropped Cuddles) when Froome had dropped off initially with 5k to go. Seemed desperate to secure that 2nd place and do his own thing. It was all discussed in the team meeting on the morning of that stage - Froome wanted to take more time out of Cuddles to secure his own position and attack at the finish. He was told by DB and Yatesy, not to go off on one, priority is yellow. But he went off on one anyway.

The whole episode left Wiggo confused, and very wary. From that point on, throughout rest of the Tour, didnt know what to expect from Froome when it got into the heat of battle. Felt that at any moment he might go off at a tangent to what the team had planned earlier in the day.

wiggins_calme_les_ardeurs_de_froome.jpg
          Contador is the Greatest
        • hmmm....Wiggo might have been less wary if Froome HAD been bridled up...
        • ocdupalais
          ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
          scwxx77 wrote:
          http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/08/shane-sutton-hospital-bradley-wiggins-released

You've misspelled it: it's "Grauniad".
        • OCDuPalais wrote:
          scwxx77 wrote:

See? I'd be perfect there
        • ocdupalais
          ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
          OCDuPalais wrote:
          scwxx77 wrote:

See? I'd be perfect there

You're not one of them "bleeding hearts", are you?