Wiggo hit by van

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Given that car drivers die the most frequently I feel there should be a law forcing them to wear crash helmets in the car - this will also have an added benefit of saving people who "forget" to put their seatbelts on from being killed when they go through a windscreen.

Also as a top rate tax payer - I am paying for all these roads (as every idiot knows that VED (read Road Tax if you are an ultra moron) does not pay for the road infrastructure. Therefore I suggest that unless you are a high rate tax payer you should not be allowed to drive on the road".

Love it, perfect for the Daily Mail :twisted:
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    skylla wrote:
    wasn't a van either.

Err...the DM seem to think it was?

>>>snap<<

err.... it's the daily mail?!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Wow. How sh'it is Twitter again?..
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    skylla wrote:
    wasn't a van either.

Where the DM have used that photo they say that wasn't the vehicle involved in the collision.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Graeme_S wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    wasn't a van either.

Where the DM have used that photo they say that wasn't the vehicle involved in the collision.

Indeed, even the DM couldn't think that was an Astra Van
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Matt Cardle on The Wright Stuff this morning (I'm off sick ok?); words to the effect: "I think it shows how much he loves riding - it isn't the Tour de France but he's still out on his bike". Matthew Wright: "Maybe he was out training"?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    skylla wrote:

Fair point I suppose. So what was it then?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Graeme_S wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    wasn't a van either.

I saw that, but the caption states '...a van similar to this' or something like that.
  • skylla
    skylla wrote:

Fair point I suppose. So what was it then?

a grey vauxhall astra
  • Melter
    Melter Posts: 49
    steerpike wrote:
    Matt Cardle on The Wright Stuff this morning (I'm off sick ok?); words to the effect: "I think it shows how much he loves riding - it isn't the Tour de France but he's still out on his bike". Matthew Wright: "Maybe he was out training"?

that's funny :D , this'll have him where he should be: sitting about, relaxing, getting ready for the Giro
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bloody Wiggins. Always trying to p!ss on my stories.

He'll be alright, and at least she stopped. Could have happened at worse times of year too, so considering it all, it's ok for a terrible hospitalising crash.

Shows how there comes a point where experience doesn't count for anything.
  • ----
  • skylla wrote:
    Talking of the book...I picked it up this morning. Quick flick through - his take on Mr Froome during the Tour is verrrrry interesting....

oooooh, spoilers please!!

SPOILER ALERT!

Froome's tactics on the climb to La Toussuire comes across as well-dodgy side from the team perspective. Twice ignored the calls to back off the full throttle he was putting down, and to give Wiggo a bit of recovery after Wiggo had taken it up (and dropped Cuddles) when Froome had dropped off initially with 5k to go. Seemed desperate to secure that 2nd place and do his own thing. It was all discussed in the team meeting on the morning of that stage - Froome wanted to take more time out of Cuddles to secure his own position and attack at the finish. He was told by DB and Yatesy, not to go off on one, priority is yellow. But he went off on one anyway.

The whole episode left Wiggo confused, and very wary. From that point on, throughout rest of the Tour, didnt know what to expect from Froome when it got into the heat of battle. Felt that at any moment he might go off at a tangent to what the team had planned earlier in the day.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sorry RR are we missing th epart that explains how that's relevant..?

Edit - Yes, Yes we are...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

eek. thought I might get shouted out if I started yet another Wiggo thread.
  • skylla
    ddraver wrote:

eek. thought I might get shouted out if I started yet another Wiggo thread.

No worries, just a bit of gossip. Much appreciated!
  • Hope it did'nt interupt her mobile phone call or smudge her make-up at the time
  • Latest from Sky News is that its a suspected broken rib and possible dislocation of finger/thumb. Expected to be discharged from hospital later today.

Sounds like he got off relatively lightly, considering.
  • ddraver wrote:

'sonly the internet like
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Am I the only one making the link between Wiggo's effigy being burnt on the Lewes bonfire and him being knocked off his bike?? Seems like voodoo to me :twisted: :twisted:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • I'm hearing that he lost both 'burns in the accident? Can anyone substantiate? I'm assuming they can be re-grafted?
  • Beat you to it on the vooddooo call.
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12888791&start=40
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Bloody hell, Shane Sutton has been in an accident today as well. In hospital with bleeding t the brain.
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    Bloody hell, Shane Sutton has been in an accident today as well. In hospital with bleeding t the brain.

WTF? :o
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    “British Cycling has confirmed that Shane Sutton, Head Coach for the GB Cycling Team, was involved in an incident this morning on the A6 near Levenshulme in Manchester. Shane was taken into hospital where it was identified he has suffered bruising and bleeding on the brain. Shane was wearing a helmet. He is set to undergo more tests, and is likely to stay in hospital for the next few days.

From the British cycling website
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Nice to see Wiggo's fully adjusted to life in the media spotlight:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/stat ... 68/photo/1

Not that I blame him mind.

Hope he and Shane Sutton both heal up quickly.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Nice to see Wiggo's fully adjusted to life in the media spotlight:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/stat ... 68/photo/1

Not that I blame him mind.

Hope he and Shane Sutton both heal up quickly.

Am laughing so much I can hardly type... :lol:

You wouldnt get such behaviour with that nice polite courteous Froome, now 8)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited November 2012
    5 pages on this already. Wow.

tumblr_md46dlT0l51rxrxxxo3_r3_500.jpg
    http://vintagebooksdesign.tumblr.com/

Another witness, truck driver Barry Blacklidge, told the Sun: "I could see a pushbike, like a mountain bike...
    LOL
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/no ... -collision
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice touch, Frenchie :)