http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/wiggins-in-hospital-after-crash-1-5102981

Possible broken ribs and hand/wrist injuries

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited November 2012
    Auch..!

Wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Jeez. Even Wiggo ain't immune to the n0bhead white van man. You get some sh1t drivers, if he can't avoid getting knocked off his bike what chance do we have?
    When a true genius appears in this world, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This is one of the few things that make me glad I don't like in the UK anymore...\

Hope he's OK!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Busy looking road by the looks of it. Crossing the M6.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=crow+or ... a=N&tab=wl
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    The only good thing is that Wrightington hospital is literally a few hundred yards away......

I ride in that vicinity of a weekend, don't bother during a weeknight in winter.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    How long did the helicopter take to get to him?
  • Ouch, FFS. Get well soon Wiggo
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Bad news. Hoping he's ok and heals quick.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Team Sky statement: "He is being kept in hospital overnight for observation but the injuries he has sustained are not thought to be serious and he is expected to make a full and speedy recovery."
    Good news.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Might change his early season plans.. broken ribs can be nasty for quite a long time..
  • Jeez. Even Wiggo ain't immune to the n0bhead white van man. You get some sh1t drivers, if he can't avoid getting knocked off his bike what chance do we have?

Actually, according to the BBC site it was a woman driving an Astra van.
  • Get well soon Bradley.
  • it is mad there - cars coming off the m6 and mad queues for the petrol station - I came out of mossy lea lane once and had to wait so long to get into the traffic i ended up cycling on the verge - i've heard its only bruised ribs so maybe not too bad. I never knew Froome drove a white van though. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    AndyRAC wrote:
    The only good thing is that Wrightington hospital is literally a few hundred yards away......

Yet the report I read said the ambulance took 15 minutes to get to him :?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Police are investigating reports that a grumpy midget wearing a 'stripy jumper' was seen behind the wheel 8)
  • Gee wiz - will be interesting to see his comments.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I know that area. If you look at the sign there is a left turn that goes to Shevington and Standish but going straight on takes you to the M6 r-bout. That garage is busy and it's a dual carriageway so drivers need to appreciate there is fast traffic heading to the roundabout/M-way and the main road to Wigan and there is traffic slowing to go on the B-road to the left. So the driver was prob. desperate (as usual) to get out and it's 'only a cyclist'
    M.Rushton
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Police described the van driver as a "mouthy bling wearing blonde" who shouted "Get out the way you fokken cuiter" before driving off.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Sound like they were at the end of a training ride at twilight. Wonder whether Wiggo was using lights. Hope so.
  • phreak wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:

Yet the report I read said the ambulance took 15 minutes to get to him :?

Wrightington Hospital isn't an Accident and Emergency Hospital so it's of no use to accident victims, and ambulances aren't stationed at hospitals so that's a double amount of uselessness.

I know the area well and it is a bad junction, partially dual carriageway, busy garage forecourt, traffic coming off the motorway, darkness (at the time it happened). There is a speed camera 200 yards up the road though so it should be safe :roll:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Hope Wiggins is not too sore this morning - Radio said he was hit around 6pm ??? - You know what's going to happen now eh. Did he have lights on his bike as it was dark & If he was wearing his Sky kit, Your going to bring up a new debate regarding black clothing :D .
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    davidof wrote:
    Police described the van driver as a "mouthy bling wearing blonde" who shouted "Get out the way you fokken cuiter" before driving off.

Gah you got there before me! touche.

This bit was a bit worrying: "He said he thought he had broken his ribs and, while a lot of police cars arrived, it was about 15 minutes before the ambulance got there by which time he was blue."

Surely the garage had something warm to put over him?
  • Last seen leaving Wrightington..
    Image3-L.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Twitter Taliban dancing on his hospital bed already...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,401
    Maybe this will make a few more morons think before acting, and change their attitude to cyclists.

Get well soon Brad.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    the garage is round the corner from my house - very busy especially at this time of day.

he was on a MTB apparently, so i imagine it wasn't a full-on training run (which I assume would usually avoid busy junctions like this).
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Maybe this will make a few more morons think before acting, and change their attitude to cyclists.

Get well soon Brad.

Dont think so dorset boy - Everyone on here most weekends will have encountered a near-miss or worse since the tour & Olympics. Only a few weeks back i was told to get "Off the Effing road". to which i replied get out the effing car and say that. they are all tough guys behind a steering wheel and locked doors.
  • Bike lover and man breast cultivator extraordinaire Eamon Holmes tweeted 'Isn't it about time we respected everyone's journey on the road?'. The same man who tweeted “Big tailbacks on A3 and A3 approaches to M25 and in other direction to Wimbledon. Due to flamin Olympic bikes. Keep sport in a stadium.” and many other pro cycling tweets.
  • I really hope it makes a few more drivers aware of cyclists and the damage that even a small touch or even near miss can cause.

But I expect it will cause a lots of ranting from both sides and probably only make the situation worse :(