Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    MrB123 wrote:
    Beltaine wrote:
    Making a pint of squash and getting the cordial/water balance exactly right.
    k

Lmco ! You wouldn't think it'd be soooo hard to do would you ? I suppose that's what makes it so special when you get the ratio spot on.

Even more tricky with those new fangled double concentrate squashes.

They're great, especially the Lindhouse blackcurrant from Lidl. Other brands are available.
    I don't like Cranberry juice but it's good for you so I put a drop of that ^ in it and it's quite pleasant actually.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    Watching birds of prey either circling gracefully or hovering for the kill. I was like a little kid when I saw my first ever red kite about 5 years ago.
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Watching birds of prey either circling gracefully or hovering for the kill. I was like a little kid when I saw my first ever red kite about 5 years ago.

They we're re-introduced to the High Wycombe area and have just about decimated the wild pigeon population.
    I watched a Hen Harrier harry some crows once - no fear, it was fantastic. I had never seen anything like it and I haven't seen one since. They don't list them in the local twitchers guides as the eggs are sought after.
  • Pross
    On a similar vein to the cordial mixture - getting the consistency of you porridge smack on. It made dragging myself out of bed before dawn more tolerable.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Pross wrote:

I was out with my 10 yr old for a walk around the big field on Sunday evening, spent around 20 minutes watching a bird of prey hover, leave, come back, hover. It dived once and pulled up 3 feet from the ground. A few minutes later it dived and hit the ground. We were at a distance and the grass was long enough so that we didn't see what it caught, so no gruesome tales to relate when we got home, but a very satisfying walk.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pross wrote:

LOL come to Aylesbury, there's thousands of red kites. And surprisingly few pigeons, one wonders if these facts are related... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    Being the first person to step off the train when it reaches your station.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    First bag off the airport carousel.
  • Pross
    SecretSam wrote:
    Pross wrote:

LOL come to Aylesbury, there's thousands of red kites. And surprisingly few pigeons, one wonders if these facts are related... :lol:

Yeah, I've seen loads since both on the M4 near Reading and in mid Wales (where I saw the first one and where on of the centres used to reintroduce them was set up). I still love seeing them though as well as buzzards and harriers. Would love to see an Osprey and Golden Eagle in the wild.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    MrB123 wrote:

You may be correct about that but I don't know.... Never bloody happened to me!
  • pinno
    MrB123 wrote:

Yeah right. :roll:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    To balance it up I've also had one which never appeared at all. Not nice being the last one stood there.
  • Pross
    crispybug2 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

You may be correct about that but I don't know.... Never bloody happened to me!

I've had it a couple of times but on both occasions our other bag was one of the last!
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    MrB123 wrote:

...which appears just as you stroll up, grab it and make for the exit without even breaking stride. 8)

Also, selecting one of the several queue options available and it being the one that moves quickest.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Pross
    Seeing the guy taking the TAG lane on the Severn Bridge bypassing the queue only for his TAG to be declined (as long as you aren't behind him).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Pross wrote:
    Very much so. A few years ago in Tuscany a chap in one of the other apartments was a keen bird watcher, asked him what the large bird of prey high above us was thinking he'd probably seen it. He got quite excited and rushed off to get his binoculars. The thing was way bigger than a couple of other birds prey that were attacking it and was completely unfazed and just carried on circling. He came back with the binoculars and his book and declared it a golden eagle, he was very excited as he'd never seen one and it was near the top of his spotting wish list. Saw it a few more times that holiday and one time it caught something in the vineyard down the hill from our place. Been back to the same place a couple of times since and have seen it at least a couple of times every time we've been. Absolutely wonderful. We normally see a couple of deer, the occasional wild boar and once a porcupine when over there. The eagle is still my favourite.
  • secretsam
    Pross wrote:
    Would love to see an Osprey and Golden Eagle in the wild.

Have held a Golden Eagle, well, it sat on my hand. They are absolutely massive.

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Thinking the toilet is blocked. Then on the fourth flush, it clears. YES
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    SecretSam wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Would love to see an Osprey and Golden Eagle in the wild.

Have held a Golden Eagle, well, it sat on my hand. They are absolutely massive.

Have seen them up close a couple of times whilst climbing in the Highlands. Thought one of them was going to pick me up off the cliff face.

Plenty of Buzzards round where I live and have also seen an Osprey.

Saw loads of Red Kites whilst growing up in north Wales.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Ah, it's not just me then. Seen a couple of Red Kites around Shere/Albury in the Surrey Hills & the Buzzards seem to be doing fairly well all over the place - regularly spotted round here - even over Epsom Downs (still love watching them every time I see them - never used to see 'em when I were a lad etc etc).

Edit : saw a Golden Eagle in the highlands on the Ride Across Britain last year too (for clarification, it wasn't on a bike)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • pinno
    Alex99 wrote:

'Fourth' ?! :shock:
  • Pinno wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

'Fourth' ?! :shock:
    Impressive dump
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Was cycling to work a few weeks ago along a country back road, and a buzzard was stood down in the Devon hedge grappling with something. I disturbed it as I cycled past and it wrestled itself out and took off. But my heart quickened a little as I passed 6 foot from it.
  • Garry H
    I've also cycled past an ostrich
  • pinno
    In spring sometime in the noughties, I was cycling over from the moors about 12 miles from home. I heard a bleat which wasn't quite right, having worked on a farm as a boy. With bike cleats on, I peered over the stone dyke and noticed a lamb caught in a kiss gate. He had already chaffed the skin in his attempt to free himself to the point of bleeding. I scaled the wall and I lifted him up and let him go, tail wagging as he tried to suck mums teets to nothing. She was stood by looking on all the time.
    At the moment I turned and started to clamber over the wall, a Buzzard swooped not 7 or 8 feet above my head. He was obviously waiting.
    The whole incident made me smile.
  • Garry H
    Did it kill the lamb?
  • Garry H
    Did it kill the lamb?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Did it kill the lamb?

No you silly fecker, I saved it. I thought that was obvious.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Did it kill the lamb?

It's in the wrong thread then :evil:
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Did it kill the lamb?

It's in the wrong thread then :evil:

It wasn't big enough for a Kebab.