Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Sitting on a rush hour train and having no-one sit in the seat next to you.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,173
    SecretSam wrote:
    Sitting on a rush hour train and having no-one sit in the seat next to you.

Have a shower mate.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Getting a smile from a woman when I'm out for a run.

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12946303&hilit=ding
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Getting a smile from a woman when I'm out for a run.

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12946303&hilit=ding

I see that a lack of sex is great for your memory. I see that a lack of sex is great for your memory.
  • The oysters underneath a roast chicken. getting to them first, cheers me a little more.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Watching two Americans walk into a Hungarian restaurant last week, ask the waiter to recommend them something light (Hungarian food? Light? Good one). The look on their faces as they struggled through their chicken pancakes and pork fillets was a joy to behold.
  • pinno
    finchy wrote:
    Watching two Americans walk into a Hungarian restaurant last week, ask the waiter to recommend them something light (Hungarian food? Light? Good one). The look on their faces as they struggled through their chicken pancakes and pork fillets was a joy to behold.

I have a friend who's Dad left Hungary in 57 - funny that.

I sat down once to a Chicken dish thingy with potatoes he made. There was no room for pudding.
  • finchy
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

I sat down once to a Chicken dish thingy with potatoes he made. There was no room for pudding.

I just didn't eat breakfast that morning. A long walk through London (my wife's scared of the Underground) and then a visit to the British Museum beforehand left me with just about enough appetite for a 3 course meal.
  • pinno
    70% Ecuadorian dark chocolate, cheap as, from Lidl.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Commutting via Basingstoke canal to Woking today, making good progress thorugh Deepcut - 15 to 20 mph. Got to Brookwood and had to keep slowing down- passed 10 primary school age kids on bikes. All had excellent skills, and were cheerful and polite (apart from one 4 yr old who couldn't manage the brakes and used her dad's legs to stop).

Cheered me up immensely. I've not seen this number of kids on bikes on this stretch before - I go down that route a few times a month. Maybe some local initiative. I hope it lasts.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,312
    finchy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

I just didn't eat breakfast that morning. A long walk through London (my wife's scared of the Underground) and then a visit to the British Museum beforehand left me with just about enough appetite for a 3 course meal.
    I'm guessing that's the same as Polish Placki, potato pancakes with a chicken goulash. Good eating :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • finchy
    seanoconn wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

I'm guessing that's the same as Polish Placki, potato pancakes with a chicken goulash. Good eating :D

No, just normal pancakes. Hortobagyi pancakes are a Hungarian speciality - beef or chicken with soured cream, tomatoes, peppers and paprika, I've never seen them anywhere else apart from Hungarian regions of Slovakia.
  • pinno
    finchy wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

No, just normal pancakes. Hortobagyi pancakes are a Hungarian speciality - beef or chicken with soured cream, tomatoes, peppers and paprika, I've never seen them anywhere else apart from Hungarian regions of Slovakia.

A tortilla wrap made with pancakes instead?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,936
    Managing to change lanes on a dual carriageway/motorway with hitting a cats-eye. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Finishing work on a Friday when it's sunny and listening to tunes on the way home.

Drinking lots of beer

Finding a good pub/brewery and drinking lots of beer (probably not that trivial in Scotland because the pubs are poor/10)

Playing guitar really loudly... with beer

Riding mountain bikes really fast down very steep hills then having a nice beer to celebrate

Proper coffee. Naturally only acceptable between waking up and midday, after midday I wish it was beer

I was going to say boobies but that is not remotely trivial to me.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I wouldn't say coffee was trivial either ... coffee and boobies .... serious business !
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    mrfpb wrote:
    Commutting via Basingstoke canal to Woking today, making good progress thorugh Deepcut - 15 to 20 mph. Got to Brookwood and had to keep slowing down- passed 10 primary school age kids on bikes. All had excellent skills, and were cheerful and polite (apart from one 4 yr old who couldn't manage the brakes and used her dad's legs to stop).

Cheered me up immensely. I've not seen this number of kids on bikes on this stretch before - I go down that route a few times a month. Maybe some local initiative. I hope it lasts.

Probably the same kids I passed as I walked to Brookwood Station this morning (past the school), they were then cycling on the pavement :evil: You will have passed my house, backs on to one of the Brookwood locks (I'll leave you to work out which one).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrfpb
    Chilled Mars Bars
    drlodge wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Probably the same kids I passed as I walked to Brookwood Station this morning (past the school), they were then cycling on the pavement :evil: You will have passed my house, backs on to one of the Brookwood locks (I'll leave you to work out which one).

I'll be cycling through again tomorrow, so will see if they've kept it up. I think pedestrians go faster than cars through Brookwood at rush hour. That's why I use the canal.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yep, Connaght Road at school time is a 'mare - loads of cars parked on pavements, cyclists and peds everywhere, no where really to park properly so it becomes a dumping ground of 4 wheeled thingys. Fortunately I live more towards the cross roads, but not that close it causes a big problem either.

Must be nice cycling to work along the canal, traffic free.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrfpb
    I cycle to Woking from Fleet and get on the train to London. I could get the train from Fleet, but then I'd get bugger all exercise in the day. I only do it once a week or a fortnight. Children's activites on almost every evening keep me from getting out for a decent ride after work.

All the locks go downhill in the morning, and uphill in the evening. I could divert onto the roads and get some hills in at some points, but usually I'm happy with the flat - and it's notably faster on the canal at points such as Deepcut.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    That nice, post exercise burn you sometimes get where you know you've worked really hard, you're aching but it's not a painful ache.

Putting your head on the pillow when you're utterly exhausted.

Getting back into your own bed after being away, no matter how comfortable the hotel bed was.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    Watching the tool in a BMW slow down for the average speed camera then go racing off again. Maybe someone should explain the meaning of average to him at some point, no need to get into the difference between mean, median and mode.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Watching the tool in a BMW slow down for the average speed camera then go racing off again. Maybe someone should explain the meaning of average to him at some point, no need to get into the difference between mean, median and mode.

Err... wrong thread mate.
  • pinno
    ^ That cheered me up :D
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    The one cyclist, out of about half a dozen that went by, that asked me if I was ok whilst I was changing an inner tube at the side of the road in the pissing rain on the way home from work tonight.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Err no, it made me laugh which means it cheered me up.
  • Casual sexism,
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    new arm warmers that stay up when you ride over cobbles
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,312
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Err no, it made me laugh which means it cheered me up.
    I was going to suggest wrong thread but I double checked and could see that it might cheer you up. Pinno's a bit of a thicko.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,395
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

No, this cheers me up knowing that stupid gets punished!