• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,773
    Went out for dinner last night. Following exchange from another table:

Guest: the creme brulee. Is it vegan?

Waiter: Not to my knowledge.

Think they may have heard me laugh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

That the UK hasn't (yet) developed this kind of lunacy.

I'm beginning to wonder if they think God, and Jesus, is 'merican.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cl5pp1jq4ljo

Cycle paths are being treated in a Devon city to keep them safe in icy weather.

The busiest cycle routes around Exeter have been treated with a salt solution as freezing temperatures continue.

Devon County Council is running the third year of a pilot scheme and said it was one of the few local authorities in the country to treat cycle paths.

Paul Wilkins, winter service engineer at Devon County Council, said: "It's really about trying to promote more in the way of sustainable and active travel.

"We're giving people that opportunity in winter when it's cold and icy not to have to fall back on their car - they can carry on cycling instead and enjoy all the benefits that come with that."

The scheme is in its third year of a trial to salt around 14 miles (22.5km) of Exeter’s busiest cycle routes.

Devon County Council said the project had gained national recognition and it was working with other authorities around the country on sharing knowledge.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,591

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cl5pp1jq4ljo

Cycle paths are being treated in a Devon city to keep them safe in icy weather.

The busiest cycle routes around Exeter have been treated with a salt solution as freezing temperatures continue.

Devon County Council is running the third year of a pilot scheme and said it was one of the few local authorities in the country to treat cycle paths.

Paul Wilkins, winter service engineer at Devon County Council, said: "It's really about trying to promote more in the way of sustainable and active travel.

"We're giving people that opportunity in winter when it's cold and icy not to have to fall back on their car - they can carry on cycling instead and enjoy all the benefits that come with that."

The scheme is in its third year of a trial to salt around 14 miles (22.5km) of Exeter’s busiest cycle routes.

Devon County Council said the project had gained national recognition and it was working with other authorities around the country on sharing knowledge.
    Trashes your bike though.
  • briantrumpet
    I suspect he was told that he'd not be able to play the French horn without hands.

• TheBigBean
    Had two good meals out which cheers me up.

One of them was with some old friends. Two of these friends were visiting for the weekend and I was cheered up to hear they are thinking of moving back to London. If that happens it will mean, my friends there that night, have tried living in Italy, Spain, Netherlands and Germany and all returned to London. None of them grew up in the UK.

Based on regular comparisons on this forum of the UK to the Netherlands, I was intrigued by all the complaints.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

One of them was with some old friends. Two of these friends were visiting for the weekend and I was cheered up to hear they are thinking of moving back to London. If that happens it will mean, my friends there that night, have tried living in Italy, Spain, Netherlands and Germany and all returned to London. None of them grew up in the UK.

Based on regular comparisons on this forum of the UK to the Netherlands, I was intrigued by all the complaints.

UK bashing is quite fashionable, especially post Brexit and with the nasty Tories in charge. The reality sometimes cheers me up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

London is OK though, it’s the rest of the YK that is terrible and inhabited by those who didn’t pour themselves a cup of ambition.

Did you use the art of selecting a good restaurant for your meal?
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

London is OK though, it’s the rest of the YK that is terrible and inhabited by those who didn’t pour themselves a cup of ambition.

Which art is that? As it happens one was a regular choice and the other was new to me and the result of a vote. Having lost the vote, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I also enjoyed the victory dance of the restaurant proposed as she sought to overcome her previously poor reputation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TBF Dutch restaurants are remarkably sh!t. Very very very few good ones. They do not get it.
  • briantrumpet

TBF Dutch restaurants are remarkably sh!t. Very very very few good ones. They do not get it.

Talking of Dutch food, I really don't understand Dutch cheese.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,682

A minute variation on potatoes, pancakes and cheese I seem to recall?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    It's more the snotty attitude to average food.

It goes from uber casual which is fine to snooty. They love nothing more than meeting you with the condescending "weet u het concept?" (do you know the concept?) or just grumpily take you over to your table.

The cultural belief of truth trumps all is not enormously helpful for the fantasy in a restaurant that they give a sh!t.
  • TBF Dutch restaurants are remarkably sh!t. Very very very few good ones. They do not get it.

I had a terrific evening in The Supper Club, but that was in 1997. May have changed a bit.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean

It's more the snotty attitude to average food.

It goes from uber casual which is fine to snooty. They love nothing more than meeting you with the condescending "weet u het concept?" (do you know the concept?) or just grumpily take you over to your table.

The cultural belief of truth trumps all is not enormously helpful for the fantasy in a restaurant that they give a sh!t.

This is quite interesting. She wasn't complaining about Dutch food, but the highlighted bit above did feature.
  • rick_chasey
    Is quite jarring, especially if you're a Brit.

As I get older and live in the UK even I find it more and more jarring every time I head over.
  • Pross
    edited December 2023

Pross said:

Which art is that? As it happens one was a regular choice and the other was new to me and the result of a vote. Having lost the vote, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I also enjoyed the victory dance of the restaurant proposed as she sought to overcome her previously poor reputation.
    This one apparently

I am quite interested in restaurants in general, god knows I spend enough time in them, and there is really an art to getting a restaurant right, with respect to the ambience, service, food, pace, etc.

• TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Pross said:

This one apparently

I am quite interested in restaurants in general, god knows I spend enough time in them, and there is really an art to getting a restaurant right, with respect to the ambience, service, food, pace, etc.

Ours have very different selection criteria. Authenticity, good food and being the only tourists score very highly. The latter point might be covered off by ambience though.

• TheBigBean

As I get older and live in the UK even I find it more and more jarring every time I head over.

This was not a Brit. She appreciated the more direct approach that the Dutch take; however, she didn't understand why this meant it was necessary to provide a running commentary on everything everyone could do better all of the time. It reminded me of all the unsolicited advice that parents get.
  • briantrumpet

This was not a Brit. She appreciated the more direct approach that the Dutch take; however, she didn't understand why this meant it was necessary to provide a running commentary on everything everyone could do better all of the time. It reminded me of all the unsolicited advice that parents get.

Ditto a bad back.
  • rick_chasey

Yeah. Opinions are sacred.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,682
    Saw a number plate this morning on way to work "TW0 345" - made me smile.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• That woman on the news giving the middle finger.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

That woman on the news giving the middle finger.

Seems to have outraged all the right people.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
  • briantrumpet
    I think that tomorrow will be the last time I use my car until some time in 2024. I'll only be doing about 15 miles, but too much to carry.
  • Pross
    The choir I sing with goes into a few care homes this time of year to do some carols and Christmas songs for the residents. We did 3 this afternoon and as we were singing in the first got heckled by an elderly resident telling us to “shut the f**k up”. Can’t beat honest criticism and a bit of Christmas spirit 😂
  • briantrumpet
    Budleigh Salterton on a properly sunny December afternoon, and it being (just) warm enough to ride there in shorts. Gotta get that vitamin D somehow...

• briantrumpet

Got to the French place for Christmas, and although am in the middle of three so-so days of weather, looking good for the Christmas Day cooked lunch picnic up at 1100m looking down on my house.

Also, getting a mini Italian cowbell to go on the Colnago, so I can tinkle as I go. Sounds like the shop is cowbell heaven, with an amazing range from 4.50€ up to about 500€, so I'm going to have to visit at Easter.

Also also - my new mobile phone mast is now up about 200m from my house - only slightly annoying that it's going to take about 6 months to connect, but should be done by my summer stay.

Also also also - the French parliament has passed a law allowing UK second home owners to stay for 6 months at a time without a visa, though could be subject to some sort of legal challenge from the French supreme court. I'll not hold my breath, but seems very promising. At least it would be better than what I've got now, and would give me more flexibility if I can sort my work life out as I'm hoping to.