Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pinno said:

Getting a smallish sinkhole in a road repaired within a couple of days cheered me up, but seeing that it's started sinking again (I suspect they just shoved some tarmac in it without any reinforcement to stop it sinking into what I'm assuming is underground drainage, either intended or by erosion) doesn't cheer me up at all.

Or the correct procedure hasn't been followed. [I think that is fairly obvious].

1. Excavate loose tarmac
    2. Cut area out neat and beyond the existing hole so that there is sufficient depth for fresh tarmac and unseen cracks are reconciled
    2. Blow torch any moisture (as underlying moisture causes a lack of adhesion so it will lift quickly)
    3. Fill hole with fresh tarmac
    4. Roll
    4. Seal edges with hot, liquid bitumen
    4. Send out an SOS to Pross

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,678
    masjer said:

pinno said:

Getting a smallish sinkhole in a road repaired within a couple of days cheered me up, but seeing that it's started sinking again (I suspect they just shoved some tarmac in it without any reinforcement to stop it sinking into what I'm assuming is underground drainage, either intended or by erosion) doesn't cheer me up at all.

Or the correct procedure hasn't been followed. [I think that is fairly obvious].

1. Excavate loose tarmac
    2. Cut area out neat and beyond the existing hole so that there is sufficient depth for fresh tarmac and unseen cracks are reconciled
    2. Blow torch any moisture (as underlying moisture causes a lack of adhesion so it will lift quickly)
    4. Roll
    4. Send out an SOS to Pross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoi99X417o
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    I didn't know Pross owned a moped.
  • briantrumpet
    Another thing that cheers me up... hoping to project-manage a performance of Mahler's 6th symphony, which requires two (or three) mahooosive hammer blows at enormous climaxes, as well as authentic-sounding cowbells.

Well, I've discovered that there's a shop near me in France which sells genuine farming Swiss cowbells of various sizes, so that'll be fun to research (I need three of different pitches). But the funnest thing will be commissioning the 'hammer' (actually a gert big wooden box & matching mallet). We'll have to make sure that a proper risk assessment has been done (watch to the end...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-yylTEx474
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Meh, Slipknot sorted that for you...
    https://youtu.be/og7N6RWe0RI
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver said:

(and I must add, all credit to the orchestras that allowed their hammer players to be in jeans and t-shirts rather than literal tails...)
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

(and I must add, all credit to the orchestras that allowed their hammer players to be in jeans and t-shirts rather than literal tails...)

I think the jeans clips are rehearsals, as mobiles on stage during a performance would be a sackable offence, at least in classical music.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

pinno said:

1. Excavate loose tarmac
    4. Roll

@Pross would probably give you more detail.

Beyond that, I think it needs some sort of reinforced base for the hole to spread the load on the dodgy underneath, as tarmac isn't known for its rigidity, and the sunken area was a good 18" across, with a clearly visible hole and cavity beneath.

As it's on a regular 20-mile loop to Budders, I'll be observing with interest over the next few weeks.
    If it’s actually a sink hole all the filling of the pothole is just wasting time and money, there could be a massive cavern underneath.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    Pross said:

pinno said:

1. Excavate loose tarmac
    4. Roll

@Pross would probably give you more detail.

Beyond that, I think it needs some sort of reinforced base for the hole to spread the load on the dodgy underneath, as tarmac isn't known for its rigidity, and the sunken area was a good 18" across, with a clearly visible hole and cavity beneath.

As it's on a regular 20-mile loop to Budders, I'll be observing with interest over the next few weeks.
    If it’s actually a sink hole all the filling of the pothole is just wasting time and money, there could be a massive cavern underneath.

Quite, although I suspect it's more likely a collapsed roadside storm water drain. (Though I'm not sure how water escapes from pebblebed heaths such as Woodbury Common - I guess that the sand around the pebbles can get washed away and create natural drainage systems independently of installed road drainage.)

I think they'll be dealing with it again soon anyway.
  • ddraver
    ^^wrong rocks to be an actual sinkhole...
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    The wife has just opened her Halifax app to check things, was greated with a splash screen that informed her "There are 231 monthly pays days until you turn 65"

She's not a happy camper. Not sure my laughter has helped things either 😇
  • briantrumpet
    Tomorrow's forecast, though I'll not be going out too early...

• briantrumpet
    A vegetable and beef stew after four hours gentle cooking.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,115
    edited November 2023
    Out for a ride in the brr but sunny conditions and on this single lane.
    Ahead of me is a car coming towards me who notices me and the small, muddy stream on his right (my left), at the side of the road.
    It was clear to me that we would converge at the point where the muddy stream is and he elected to go to his right (and stop) so that I could pass on my right where the lane was dry. He indicated and then flashed me on.

I really appreciated that. I gave him the thumbs up with no uncertainty.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    I want to get some authentic cowbells for Mahler's 6th symphony (the one with the hammer blows), and one of my French correspondents has sent me a photo from a farm equipment shop within riding distance of my house. Now I'm just going to have to go and try them...

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I want to get some authentic cowbells for Mahler's 6th symphony (the one with the hammer blows), and one of my French correspondents has sent me a photo from a farm equipment shop within riding distance of my house. Now I'm just going to have to go and try them...

I’d get two and use one as a bike bell.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

I’d get two and use one as a bike bell.

Actually I need three for the musical effect, so might do just that with a smaller one, and use the other two for doorbells.
  • ddraver
    Finally getting frustrated with the secondhand guitar I've had for years that has an action that feels about 3 feet off the neck. Filed 2mm off of the bride and not it's actually playable.

I reckon this heralds a whole month of "being serious about learning the guitar proper this time not just playing stairway and nothing else matters over and over again"...
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Finally getting frustrated with the secondhand guitar I've had for years that has an action that feels about 3 feet off the neck. Filed 2mm off of the bride and not it's actually playable.

I reckon this heralds a whole month of "being serious about learning the guitar proper this time not just playing stairway and nothing else matters over and over again"...

Did the bride complain?

Taking lessons, or working stuff out from Youtube?
  • ddraver
    Googling 12 bar blues and pouring another whisky "cos that's authentic" so far...

*hic*
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

Googling 12 bar blues and pouring another whisky "cos that's authentic" so far...

*hic*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiCFOEyrpc
  • briantrumpet
    Getting a Twitter reply from some other chap sharing my name (he did get there a couple of years before me, or rather before my parents).

• pinno

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Visiting my Dad this weekend and noticing that some of the spoon handles have kinks from being used as tyre levers decades ago.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    That the Bristol Beacon has reopened (albeit way over budget), restored organ and all, and it looks stunning. I really ought to go to a concert there to see & hear it, as I used to go there regularly in the 1970s, as we could get *very* cheap concert tickets through school. It ought to have pretty good acoustics, by the look of it.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    This made me chuckle, although shop staff with no knowledge is an irritation.
    If it's illegible, I very much doubt that full sus bike won hardtail of the year.
  • briantrumpet
    Removing my front wheel, realising that the rims are wafer-thin and thinking I'd need to buy a new front wheel, then finding I had a pristine Mavic Aksium in my small selection of 'spares'. I guess that my stock control system isn't terribly efficient, but happily so this time. Commuting crisis averted.