Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Removing my front wheel, realising that the rims are wafer-thin and thinking I'd need to buy a new front wheel, then finding I had a pristine Mavic Aksium in my small selection of 'spares'. I guess that my stock control system isn't terribly efficient, but happily so this time. Commuting crisis averted.

I'd put this down as trivially annoying as that is one of the few cast iron excuses to buy a lovely pair of new wheels which of course need to be a massive upgrade.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677

Removing my front wheel, realising that the rims are wafer-thin and thinking I'd need to buy a new front wheel, then finding I had a pristine Mavic Aksium in my small selection of 'spares'. I guess that my stock control system isn't terribly efficient, but happily so this time. Commuting crisis averted.

I'd put this down as trivially annoying as that is one of the few cast iron excuses to buy a lovely pair of new wheels which of course need to be a massive upgrade.

Riding on Devon lanes in winter is not the time to spend money on fancy wheels.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

Riding on Devon lanes in winter is not the time to spend money on fancy wheels.
    I'd be honestly surprised if you get more than one winter of commuting out of aksiums. In my experience, those nipples aren't designed with the scottish commuter in mind.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    There's a magic new invention called 'bikes with disc brakes' that will solve this problem.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

There's a magic new invention called 'bikes with disc brakes' that will solve this problem.

I'll probably get a bike with them when my CAAD9 bites the dust. It's only 13 years old though, and I still quite like it.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Stevo_666 said:

Disc brakes do nothing to prevent nipple corrosion.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Retired sometime downhill mountain biker giving advice on road riding.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    drhaggis said:

Stevo_666 said:

This ^. I binned my Ksyriums which were demoted summer hoops put on the winter bike.
    Although, tbf, they were solid, bullet proof.

FWIW, the last pair of rims I wore out were Mavic MA2's.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'll probably get a bike with them when my CAAD9 bites the dust. It's only 13 years old though, and I still quite like it.
    Funnily enough my commuter bike is now just over 13 years old and came with hydraulic discs as standard.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Take it you still use rim brakes then? I guess that once you get old, you stick with what you know rather than going for new fangled things ;)
  • Stevo_666
    drhaggis said:

Stevo_666 said:

My nipples have always been fine.
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Take it you still use rim brakes then? I guess that once you get old, you stick with what you know rather than going for new fangled things ;)
    I have a bike that is in perfect working order that weighs under 7kg with deep rim carbon wheels. Todays equivalent would be over 10 grand to get something with brakes that make the bike heavier. When I go out on a group ride with my mates, the ones with discs are no faster downhill and strangely they are slower uphill😉
    If there comes a time when it no longer works I will probably have get one with discs as that’s all that will be available.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

I have a bike that is in perfect working order that weighs under 7kg with deep rim carbon wheels. Todays equivalent would be over 10 grand to get something with brakes that make the bike heavier. When I go out on a group ride with my mates, the ones with discs are no faster downhill and strangely they are slower uphill😉
    If there comes a time when it no longer works I will probably have get one with discs as that’s all that will be available.
    Looks like I was right :smile:
  • webboo
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

No I’m sticking with what I’ve got😎 Not what I know.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

No I’m sticking with what I’ve got😎 Not what I know.
    I picked up a pair of Fulcrum racing Zero's that looked like new for less than half price... because they were not disc. £354. Win win. It was damn good kit 5 years ago so why is it no good now?
    Same as my Colnago C60 with Campag super record gruppo (old school, defunct, ancient, decrepit cable type with life threatening callipers) bar the handlebars, stem and saddle for £1800. £6k's worth of bike for less than 1/3rd of it's original value... because it was a non disc frame.
    Sold wheels for £400 and popped the Fulcrums on.
    Crazy - and i'm still alive.
  • rick_chasey
    Volunteered to help for the kid’s class trip to the zoo.

5 year olds are hilarious.
  • rick_chasey
    And very cute
  • Volunteered to help for the kid’s class trip to the zoo.

do they no longer require DBS checks? :D
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently not.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

Think they’re only needed if you’re likely to be alone with the kids.
  • Burning Spear popping up on my Spotify random playlist.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

In Scotland, I am not allowed to be alone with kids whilst teaching table tennis unless I am in a Leisure centre or other public space. You require a full disclosure certificate regardless of the venue.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

Pross said:

In Scotland, I am not allowed to be alone with kids whilst teaching table tennis unless I am in a Leisure centre or other public space. You require a full disclosure certificate regardless of the venue.
    Clearly they know who you are.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • pinno
    webboo said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Funny.
    It's da law. I don't know if it's the same in England.
    They went silly for a while where you needed full disclosure for each 'separate' activity, even though it was connected.
    For example, I used a minibus* and drove some kids to the Dumfries TT club for a weekend coaching session and needed another disclosure but thankfully, they have dropped that.

*Provided by the the EU 'Northern peripheries program; an excellent rural development fund. F*cking Brexshit.
  • pinno

5 all the way through to 12 are good years.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    pinno said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Funny.
    It's da law. I don't know if it's the same in England.
    They went silly for a while where you needed full disclosure for each 'separate' activity, even though it was connected.
    For example, I used a minibus* and drove some kids to the Dumfries TT club for a weekend coaching session and needed another disclosure but thankfully, they have dropped that.

*Provided by the the EU 'Northern peripheries program; an excellent rural development fund. F*cking Brexshit.
    Think it's much the same here. If you are a part of a larger group with other adults supervising then that's different from a single adult + children. We're bumping into it again with work experience for our eldest. A lot of places will not offer experience to under 16s due to the extra safeguarding requirements and fitting those around normal working.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    There are not many videos online which give me as much joy as old late 00s and early 10s Belgian classic races. So fun.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I needed a full DBS Check to be a "professional" mini bus driver too, tbf...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

I needed a full DBS Check to be a "professional" mini bus driver too, tbf...

If you're likely to need it for several years, well worth paying for the update service, as then you can just tell it to allow organisations to check online (though that didn't stop one of mine asking to see the original certificate...)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    On a related issue, I went to the V&A with my daughter yesterday and there was a small child that was ‘groping’ the bits of a male nude sculpture. Her mother’s mortified look as she tried to move them away made me chuckle.

I also enjoyed seeing the reaction of people in the audience watching Book of Mormon who obviously didn’t know quite what to expect. I didn’t see anyone walk out like I did the first time I saw it though.