Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Although slightly annoyed at giving in and turning on a bit of heating tonight, I'm cheered up by getting to 5 November without any discomfort, and that my cycling friend who also holds out as long as possible also gave in tonight.

I would imagine that you are both single or will be in the not too distance future.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,679
    webboo said:

Although slightly annoyed at giving in and turning on a bit of heating tonight, I'm cheered up by getting to 5 November without any discomfort, and that my cycling friend who also holds out as long as possible also gave in tonight.

I would imagine that you are both single or will be in the not too distance future.

I am, but my friend seems to have persuaded his wife that it's a good idea too... it helps that she doesn't know how to switch the central heating on though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

webboo said:

I am, but my friend seems to have persuaded his wife that it's a good idea too... it helps that she doesn't know how to switch the central heating on though.
    Meh. Try persuading them that hand luggage is sufficient for a fortnights holiday.
    That's my biggest victory.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    At this time of year I usually put the heating on in the late afternoon about an hour before Mrs W gets home from work. Her first words on entering the house will be” It’s not very warm in here”
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    webboo said:

At this time of year I usually put the heating on in the late afternoon about an hour before Mrs W gets home from work. Her first words on entering the house will be” It’s not very warm in here”

Maybe it's something genetic... if I go into one of the teaching rooms after a female colleague has been in it, it's like walking into an oven, and still they are wrapped up in woollies complaining about how cold it is, while I'm in shirt sleeves.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    I don't remember the last time I manually put the heating on, it's set on a schedule and a thermostat year round and just switches itself on when it gets cold enough.
    That said, my natural inclination is to have it set about 5 degrees colder than my wife likes it so I suspect that she flicks it on manually while I'm out during the day.
  • briantrumpet
    When I've not twigged that I've gone a bit deaf from changes in altitude on a ride, and then "pop", suddenly everything goes louder and clearer. I think I must have been a bit deaf since yesterday's ride over Woodbury Common, but only found out at lunchtime today.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

webboo said:

Just what?! How does she manage with door handles and light switches?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    If this came to pass into reality, I'd be a happier bunny, while I wait for Brexit to unravel. I'm surprised, I must admit, as I didn't even know it was being discussed at all.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/French-senate-backs-automatic-visa-right-for-UK-second-home-owners

France’s senators have approved a bill amendment giving British second-home owners in France an automatic long-stay visa right without any formalities.

The idea is now being added as a new article in the immigration bill and so is expected to form part of the text to be sent to MPs for debate in December after the senators conclude their discussions on Tuesday November 14.

The aim of the successful amendment is to recognise the difficulties faced by many British second-home owners since Brexit, as they cannot currently spend more than three months at a time at their French homes without renewing complex formalities.

The main option available to them at present is applying for a ‘temporary long-stay visa’ under the heading of being ‘visitors’. This kind of visa is for a named period, typically from four to six months, and an application must be started from scratch each time. This differs from other kinds of visa which assume that the holder has moved to France and will in due course apply for a residency card.

The successful amendment, by Senator Martine Berthet (Savoie, Les Républicains), also recognises the unusual situation of these homeowners, whose rights changed due to the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767

If this came to pass into reality, I'd be a happier bunny, while I wait for Brexit to unravel. I'm surprised, I must admit, as I didn't even know it was being discussed at all.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/French-senate-backs-automatic-visa-right-for-UK-second-home-owners

France’s senators have approved a bill amendment giving British second-home owners in France an automatic long-stay visa right without any formalities.

The idea is now being added as a new article in the immigration bill and so is expected to form part of the text to be sent to MPs for debate in December after the senators conclude their discussions on Tuesday November 14.

The aim of the successful amendment is to recognise the difficulties faced by many British second-home owners since Brexit, as they cannot currently spend more than three months at a time at their French homes without renewing complex formalities.

The main option available to them at present is applying for a ‘temporary long-stay visa’ under the heading of being ‘visitors’. This kind of visa is for a named period, typically from four to six months, and an application must be started from scratch each time. This differs from other kinds of visa which assume that the holder has moved to France and will in due course apply for a residency card.

The successful amendment, by Senator Martine Berthet (Savoie, Les Républicains), also recognises the unusual situation of these homeowners, whose rights changed due to the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
    Sounds like a practical compromise for you, without all the hassle and red tape of and EU membership.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Sounds like a practical compromise for you, without all the hassle and red tape of and EU membership.

Well, it's a start, but remembering that before Brexit there was no red tape for me, and I had the right to work or retire in France. Kinda significant difference on a personal level, but nice to know that France recognises our rights were curtailed and that they aren't being vindictive.

But this would be an improvement on the current situation.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,115
    rjsterry said:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Episode of TheMove (on Utub and podcast) with Peter Sagan talking with Hincapie and Bruyneel. Interesting. Plus he is just 33, younger than e.g. Roglič, and stopping this roadie stuff to get back to the MTB. Pidders vs Sagan vs MvdP in the Paris Olympics?
  • briantrumpet
    Being able to add my voice to Express polls without actually visiting the Express website. And often seeing them go the opposite way to the way you might think they would... even if I know it will make no difference whatsoever, so totally trivial. Still...

• briantrumpet
    National Trust easily seeing off 'Restore Trust' (aka Tufton St loons) again.

I wonder why Restore Trust are putting quite such a major effort into a hostile action which they seem very unlikely to bring off.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Met the lad, his girlfriend and her mother at Battersea Power Station yesterday afternoon, this was organised weeks ago before any pro-Palestine marches were big news. Quite busy up there as the march had ended nearby, but really nice atmosphere.
    We were stood outside by the river at about 5:30 and a steam train chuffed across the bridge towards Victoria. Lovely sight and sound, not sure it would be ULEZ compliant though.
  • briantrumpet

Being able to add my voice to Express polls without actually visiting the Express website. And often seeing them go the opposite way to the way you might think they would... even if I know it will make no difference whatsoever, so totally trivial. Still...

And now... (I might have voted twice...)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    When a good restaurant knows where to sit you because you've gone often enough.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Witnessing the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen. It made it worth getting up early and leaving the all you can eat breakfast as soon as our ship docked. I’ll post a photo later once I’ve had a chance to upload it somewhere that will do it justice. Worth a sleepless night travelling through the Force 10 storm on Monday night!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    Nail through the car tyre yesterday was a £29 repair rather than a £200 new tyre.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    The volunteer work day was inside (pishing it down all morning) sorting out stuff to clear out this big shed thing which will get removed and replaced with a bothy structure for the team. The cheer bit? Mr Robin being continually in there with us, inches away, checking out we were doing things right.
  • briantrumpet
    A 70-year-old friend still doing 40-mile rides in the dark on most Wednesday evenings to go to the pub with friends.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023
    Saw one of my all time favourite bands since I was a teenager last night :) (QOTSA for those who are curious).

Was a little surreal seeing them, given just how familiar I am with their music. I mean, solidly in my A-list rotation for about 20 years.

(added bonus is this current line up they have is the tighest I think they've ever had, live. I've got some of their live albums and there is a world of difference).

Just a mild shame about the sound quality and mix at the O2. Just so boomy, the very mid-y sound of QOTSA got lost in the boomy mud.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    orraloon said:

The volunteer work day was inside (pishing it down all morning) sorting out stuff to clear out this big shed thing which will get removed and replaced with a bothy structure for the team. The cheer bit? Mr Robin being continually in there with us, inches away, checking out we were doing things right.

I choose to believe Mr Robin is the bloke in charge and you just really like him.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    edited November 2023
    This was posted in the photography thread last month. I hummed and hawed over which thread to put it in. I conclude that they are nosey beggars. 😉
    pblakeney said:

Standard snapshot of a robin, it was the background story that got me.

I was pruning the garden and this bird followed me around for about an hour, rarely more that 3 feet from me. I don't know if it was getting insects that I'd disturbed or was waiting for nesting leftovers. At one point it flew to 2 feet from my face and hovered there before going back to the branch.
    I made the decision to get my camera and it was game over after the first shutter press, typical! ;) . Still, it was quite the moment while it lasted.

20231015-125640

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Off to see the Blindboy Podcast tonight.

Geezer who wears a carrier bag on his head and talks more sense then most. His podcasts are incredible.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,483
    That the Las Vegas GP is a complete farce after just 9 minutes of running.
  • Off to see the Blindboy Podcast tonight.

Geezer who wears a carrier bag on his head and talks more sense then most. His podcasts are incredible.

I have no idea how to quote you into a different thread so my intrigue will have to stay here - how do you go and see a podcast?

Please tailor your answer to an old git who sees podcasts as on-demand radio
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594

Off to see the Blindboy Podcast tonight.

I have no idea how to quote you into a different thread so my intrigue will have to stay here - how do you go and see a podcast?

Please tailor your answer to an old git who sees podcasts as on-demand radio
    Did you know people also go and see radio programmes? This happened even when you were a wee lad. I used to do it quite a bit as it was free.