Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325

Serious question - how much space to they take up when not in use and are they any better than using a turbo ?

The biggest benefit I get from rollers is maintaining souplesse.
    Say you've gone out on a hilly ride and hit them hard with lower cadences than a flattish ride, a session the next day on the rollers really loosens you up.

They won't give you the resistance that turbo trainers will and a half hour session on them is not so physically demanding but from a cardio-vascular point of view, they can be very demanding - as demanding as you care to go.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Riding my bike. Unbelievable how many people were out walking along the roads, too.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

Riding my bike. Unbelievable how many people were out walking along the roads, too.

Maybe all the couch potatoes who previously have just sat & watched DVDs while eating junk food were all inspired by Johnson's encouragement to exercise...
  • pinno
    I got a letter from Boris today.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746

Maybe all the couch potatoes who previously have just sat & watched DVDs while eating junk food were all inspired by Johnson's encouragement to exercise...
    Unfortunately they have also made what little decent cycle paths there were completely unusable. Cheers me up that the roads are quiet to compensate. 😎
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Got a bit of a Led Zep vibe going this week, courtesy SG's thread titles. Rewatched that 2012 Kennedy Centre honours LZ thing on youtube, with Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz, Heart et al. Has Barack and Michelle O in the audience enjoying the gig. Happy days.

My how times have changed. Now we have 'kin arseh0les everywhere.

Sorry, turned into a bit of a f u rant. But watching that did cheer me up.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Unfortunately they have also made what little decent cycle paths there were completely unusable. Cheers me up that the roads are quiet to compensate. 😎

I tend to avoid 'bike paths' at the best of times anyway, but even more so now. Half of them aren't even 2m wide, and yes, now even busier.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    Realising I haven't needed to iron anything for nearly a month :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

What, not even your underpants, or cravat? Tush!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

What, not even your underpants, or cravat? Tush!
    If I ever get a cravat I'll let you know...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

???? Didn't realise you were single.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

???? Didn't realise you were single.
    I subcontract it :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    While on my bike ride today was mulling over the sanitiser thing... still don't get why don't people just wash their hands properly vs some piece of wet fabric / stuff in a bottle.

Anyways, I'm finding riding is good for my mental health, a bit of a sanity-iser in effect.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,589
    orraloon said:

While on my bike ride today was mulling over the sanitiser thing... still don't get why don't people just wash their hands properly vs some piece of wet fabric / stuff in a bottle.

Anyways, I'm finding riding is good for my mental health, a bit of a sanity-iser in effect.

Soap and taps are not as portable.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Just returned from my daily Covid-19 constitutional and have discovered that my town has a water meadow with lovely walk through it and onto some woods. I've only lived here for 20 years. Goodness knows what else I'll discover in the next 20 years.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    mr_goo said:

Just returned from my daily Covid-19 constitutional and have discovered that my town has a water meadow with lovely walk through it and onto some woods. I've only lived here for 20 years. Goodness knows what else I'll discover in the next 20 years.

Goo, I'm doing similar on my runs in the local green space witch is a mixture of ancient woodland, open parkland/stream and a decommissioned golf course. There are some nice. little-used paths through the woods that I'm getting to know despite having lived close by for over 20 years.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Hearing a colleagues tale about doing a video call alongside his wife with his in-laws. Apparently his mother in law has cut her own hair and he wasn't forewarned, it was so comically terrible that within a couple of seconds of seeing her at the start he had to get up quickly and stand off camera, then spend two minutes biting his hand and composing himself whilst his wife got the call going.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The mrs 55th birthday today. Sun shining, we started a bbq at 2pm. Still sat in the garden now having spent the late afternoon and evening in the garden listening to Music, chatting and reminiscing.
    One of the best birthdays I can recall in nearly 30 years. No expensive gifts, just some good food and good company.
    Here’s to good health to all of you.
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2020
    Being offered a decent 2nd-hand turbo for £50 by an ex club member.

I reckon I could sell it on for £200 ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,484
    All those middle class family videos of mummsy and modern dad types doing their 'fun' activities with their kids in the first few days of lockdown have stopped as the grim reality of being stuck in a house with young kids has set in and they realise that the authors of all the good parenting books had no experience of the current circumstances.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    Exercise videos are tapering off too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

All those middle class family videos of mummsy and modern dad types doing their 'fun' activities with their kids in the first few days of lockdown have stopped as the grim reality of being stuck in a house with young kids has set in and they realise that the authors of all the good parenting books had no experience of the current circumstances.

Or they are just simply running out of ideas.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,945
    Cleaning my shed.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    That has potential to be a nice shed.
    Is that the 'after' shot?! :)
  • capt_slog
    pinno said:

That has potential to be a nice shed.
    Is that the 'after' shot?! :)

afraid so :D

It was terrible before, I had a lot of stuff to sort out and throw away from late father in laws place, you can see bench top now.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,484
    capt_slog said:

Cleaning my shed.

Did mine the weekend before last, I can now get in to get my bike out and access tools. Previously I had to move a couple of bikes and a surfboard just to get through the door. Mine is more junk filled and less practical than yours, DIY really isn't my thing.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    Do we need a show us your shed thread? Not that we're a bunch of clichéd middle-aged men or anything.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross said:

ha, this is v true. :)
    The Easter Weekend will be the breaking point......mark my words!
  • capt_slog
    rjsterry said:

Do we need a show us your shed thread? Not that we're a bunch of clichéd middle-aged men or anything.

Why not? :)