Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901

Thoroughly fed up with the permarain.

Look on the bright side, it's better than sweating in 40c plus heat and worrying whether your house will still be there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Jezyboy said:

Apparently NatWest profits have soared...

Entirely predictable.
    Market over reaction to a management over reaction. One has been corrected.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Thoroughly fed up with the permarain.

Look on the bright side, it's better than sweating in 40c plus heat and worrying whether your house will still be there.
    It is literally the otherside of the same phenomenon.

We're just on the other side of the bent gulf stream which means very high and low pressures get stuck for a long time.

last year we were on the high pressure side, but it wasn't as bent, so it wasn't stuck for so long.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    It was 25 degrees or above for 16 days out of 17 in June here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I think the current weather is nearly perfect
  • rick_chasey

Alas I was in rainy italy for the majority of that...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Jezyboy said:

Yeah I think the consensus was Alison was a good leader for the firm.

I guess any war, real or rhetorical, has collateral casualties and her career is one of them.
    so you would be happy with your bank manager discussing your finances with the local rag?

I don't have much of a problem with closing his acct but she needed to go for a breach of condidentiality. I would also say that every board member who backed the decision to keep her should go.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I think the current weather is nearly perfect
    Just had a week in Cornwall and it was about 20 degrees and not much rain and it was fantastic.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Gina Millar and Farage could unite on this one.
  • rick_chasey

Jezyboy said:

I guess any war, real or rhetorical, has collateral casualties and her career is one of them.
    so you would be happy with your bank manager discussing your finances with the local rag?

I don't have much of a problem with closing his acct but she needed to go for a breach of condidentiality. I would also say that every board member who backed the decision to keep her should go.
    That's sort of irrelevant. The point I'm making is Farage made the fuss for political reasons, not for banking reasons.

He's trying to articulate that the establishment and institutions are no longer naturally rightward leaning and instead have been captured by the 'woke' left.

Ms Rose ended up getting caught in the process of doing that; maybe she made an error, maybe she didn't.

But let's face it, she wasn't put in as CEO to have to fend off politicians making political points out of their own bank account (or lack of).
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2023

Alas I was in rainy italy for the majority of that...
    What would be the nightmare would be more winds from the North/East during winter.

I noticed at the start of this year a fushia plant didn't survive the winter, also I've only notice native ladybirds around the garden, but no harlequins (the cold winter killed them off during hibernation, too early in the year)?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

am I the only person for thinking she lost her job for blabbing to a journalist.

am I the only person who thinks the board are in trouble for accepting her explanation and not getting rid of her?

You are not alone. The bank also made it worse for themselves by creating their dossier on Farage which was was then made public.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Jezyboy said:

That's sort of irrelevant. The point I'm making is Farage made the fuss for political reasons, not for banking reasons.

He's trying to articulate that the establishment and institutions are no longer naturally rightward leaning and instead have been captured by the 'woke' left.

Ms Rose ended up getting caught in the process of doing that; maybe she made an error, maybe she didn't.

But let's face it, she wasn't put in as CEO to have to fend off politicians making political points out of their own bank account (or lack of).
    I thought the accepted version of events was that she told a BBC reporter that the main reason they closed his account was because of funds.

That doesn't sound like she maybe made an error.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Jezyboy said:

If I'd made a big splash in the local rag the week before with my side of the story, I'd expect some kind of comeback.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    I'm trivially intrigued (but this is the Coutts thread now so let's not cross threads). By the Coutts CEO resignation, surely this suggests the whole thing was a ghastly mistake, and Farage will be undebanked any time now.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

I thought the accepted version of events was that she told a BBC reporter that the main reason they closed his account was because of funds.

It's irrelevant. I get that the CEO is ultimately on the hook for anything the firm does, but running the bank successfully to profitability rates higher in my worthiness of the job than having to deal with Farage getting a load of pensioners exercised.

Farage is just articulating a political vibe on the right and it just so happens the opportunity he found was with Coutts and Natwest.

She got caught up in his politics and her career has suffered. She's collateral.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

It's irrelevant. I get that the CEO is ultimately on the hook for anything the firm does, but running the bank successfully to profitability rates higher in my worthiness of the job than having to deal with Farage getting a load of pensioners exercised.

Farage is just articulating a political vibe on the right and it just so happens the opportunity he found was with Coutts and Natwest.

She got caught up in his politics and her career has suffered. She's collateral.
    What level of transgression is a CEO allowed? Is a minor bit of theft ok?
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Yep, profits for the 6 months to 30 June 2023 are up. Before this all blew up. Share price still below pre scandal levels.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

What level of transgression is a CEO allowed? Is a minor bit of theft ok?
    If she has to go she has to go but let's not pretend it's because she wasn't running the bank properly. She got caught up in a seriously weird story.

You're too busy looking at the trees and not the forest again.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

It's completely against what you'd expect from any bank, let alone a private bank.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

No it is not irrelevant. It's a no comment statement every day of the week.

"We do not discuss the confidential nature of our clients and their accounts with us"

NOT

"He's too poor to bank with us."

It's a shame she's gone but surely anyone can see that's an extremely stupid comment
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Jezyboy said:

I'm trivially intrigued (but this is the Coutts thread now so let's not cross threads). By the Coutts CEO resignation, surely this suggests the whole thing was a ghastly mistake, and Farage will be undebanked any time now.

I don't think it was unreasonable for them to close the account, they're within their rights as a private business to pick and choose their clients. Publicly discussing the reasons was wrong though and that seems to be why she's gone. It was stupid as she could have made her point without making specific reference to Farage such as saying we have rules for all customers on the funds they need to deposit with us.
  • focuszing723

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

"We do not discuss the confidential nature of our clients and their accounts with us"

NOT

It's a shame she's gone but surely anyone can see that's an extremely stupid comment
    "The Royal Bank of Scotland International, trading as NatWest International, RBS International, Coutts Crown Dependencies and Isle of Man Bank, is the offshore banking arm of NatWest Group."

Yep and till recently the Government (general public) owned NatWest as a result of the financial crisis she should have had more sense.

• rick_chasey

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

Sure, but come on, this was started by Farage doing something pretty weird, and has ended up putting her in this position, right?

My point is Farage is making politics out of something and because it's about the firm she runs, she's ended up in the firing line.

It's collateral political damage.
  • focuszing723
    "It's clear that bailing out the company has come at a huge cost to the taxpayer, with the government expected to be sitting on a loss of at least £26bn," she said.

However, Ms Streeter said in the depths of the financial crisis, the bailout was "considered to be the price to pay for protecting the wider economy from severe repercussions, which at the time was feared could bring the banking system crashing down, causing even further damage to the economy".
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60898614
    Glass houses and all that
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    NF is loving this. Has he said ‘witch hunt’ yet?

*uncanny coincidence with the initials, I just realised :D
  • shirley_basso

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

Sure, but come on, this was started by Farage doing something pretty weird, and has ended up putting her in this position, right?

My point is Farage is making politics out of something and because it's about the firm she runs, she's ended up in the firing line.

He did not put a gun to her head and force her to disclose why NatWest closed his account.

She put herself in this position and frankly to do something so utterly stupid makes me wonder how she was made CEO.

Often the way to make these things blow over is to repeat 'no comment' and disappear.

Now NatWest and more importantly, Coutts' customers have serious and genuine confidentiality concens.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Miaow...miaow...silence...thump.

In the real world, trivially annoying thing today is the basket wheels of the dishwasher always waiting until basket is full to jump off the runners. Again.

• Stevo_666

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

NOT

He did not put a gun to her head and force her to disclose why NatWest closed his account.

She put herself in this position and frankly to do something so utterly stupid makes me wonder how she was made CEO.

Often the way to make these things blow over is to repeat 'no comment' and disappear.

Now NatWest and more importantly, Coutts' customers have serious and genuine confidentiality concens.
    And compounded by Foutts compiling a dossier on Farage to assess his 'values' which then got out and has caused them a lot of damage. Top management are also ultimately accountable for that.
  • shirley_basso
    That's the thing. Even if he's right that they did close his account because he's an unpalatable loudmouth, and told him to his face, that's between the bank and the customer. Don't go tell the press. FFS.