Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Website tells me I will max out if I carry on paying in.

I assume there's no point if you are just over educated and started contributions late, like me?

Probably not, provided you're comfortable that you will eventually hit the 35 qualifying years required to max out on the state pension.
    Well I've got more than another 12 or 13 to go, but that only takes me to 63. I will be still working to some extent by then, and most likely full time, unfortunately.
    That will do it.

Why do you reckon you won't be working full time by 63? Is there some sort of mandatory retirement age in your firm?
    Hope? Expectation that I won't be able to give 100% 5 days a week at that age?
    Fair enough. Just being nosey...I've got at least another 10 years unless something drastic changes. Then will see how I feel.

I'm hoping to go part-time and be more flexible as soon as I can. But not ready to stop everything yet. Starting to feel a bit mortal and not wanting to miss out on doing fun stuff while I'm dithering, given how fast a year passes now... seems nuts that it was almost a year ago that I was watching forest fires at close quarters.
    Not a bad plan - from what I've seen people who struggle more with retirement are those who go straight from working 5 days a week to doing no work at all. Ramping the days or hours over time is probably a good way to adjust.
    I've been adjusting for years,the joys of SFH
    FTFY :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Website tells me I will max out if I carry on paying in.

I assume there's no point if you are just over educated and started contributions late, like me?

Probably not, provided you're comfortable that you will eventually hit the 35 qualifying years required to max out on the state pension.
    Well I've got more than another 12 or 13 to go, but that only takes me to 63. I will be still working to some extent by then, and most likely full time, unfortunately.
    That will do it.

Why do you reckon you won't be working full time by 63? Is there some sort of mandatory retirement age in your firm?
    Hope? Expectation that I won't be able to give 100% 5 days a week at that age?
    Fair enough. Just being nosey...I've got at least another 10 years unless something drastic changes. Then will see how I feel.

I'm hoping to go part-time and be more flexible as soon as I can. But not ready to stop everything yet. Starting to feel a bit mortal and not wanting to miss out on doing fun stuff while I'm dithering, given how fast a year passes now... seems nuts that it was almost a year ago that I was watching forest fires at close quarters.
    Not a bad plan - from what I've seen people who struggle more with retirement are those who go straight from working 5 days a week to doing no work at all. Ramping the days or hours over time is probably a good way to adjust.

And I actually love doing what I do, the privilege and fascination of moulding young brains, and knowing the pleasure making music can bring through their lives.

But it would be nice to be able to spend more time in France and not be tied so tightly to school holidays... I'm hoping once they've put up my new 5G mast in the village (well, it might be for the whole village) that doing some weeks remotely from there will be feasible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I went from working long hours, to a standard working week, then a 4 day week, then wfh, then sfh. That taper worked quite well. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I was going to go fishing this afternoon, but rain stopped play. That's very trivial.

However, I took the opportunity to go and do a bit of banking.

Not trivial RANT...

My mum (99 yrs) is in a care home, and over the last few years has whittled down her saving from 70+k to just a few thousand, and so I went into the building society to close her account so that the 19k in there can be transferred into her bank account.

The cost her care home is just shy of £1k a week. She does get a nice room and is well looked after, even though the food is generally appalling.

We are in the process of selling her house which we rented out for a while, and once that goes through she should have enough to last.

On the way back to the car I past through the church yard, this is where the local 'wastes of space' hang out all day everyday doing nothing but drink cheap alcohol.

Supposing that bunch get to old age, they'll have saved nothing, earned nothing, and contributed nothing, but they will get looked after for free. I'm afraid this upset my usual sunny disposition. Whilst I accept they won't get the same standard of care, it makes you think doesn't it?

See a nice bike? buy it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The welfare system is designed to capture everyone, even scroungers. That's the catch.

The liklihood is they won't have long lives. Is that a good or a bad thing?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    capt_slog said:

I was going to go fishing this afternoon, but rain stopped play. That's very trivial.

Not trivial RANT...

My mum (99 yrs) is in a care home, and over the last few years has whittled down her saving from 70+k to just a few thousand, and so I went into the building society to close her account so that the 19k in there can be transferred into her bank account.

The cost her care home is just shy of £1k a week. She does get a nice room and is well looked after, even though the food is generally appalling.

We are in the process of selling her house which we rented out for a while, and once that goes through she should have enough to last.

On the way back to the car I past through the church yard, this is where the local 'wastes of space' hang out all day everyday doing nothing but drink cheap alcohol.

Supposing that bunch get to old age, they'll have saved nothing, earned nothing, and contributed nothing, but they will get looked after for free. I'm afraid this upset my usual sunny disposition. Whilst I accept they won't get the same standard of care, it makes you think doesn't it?

See a nice bike? buy it.

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel better, my grandmother had dementia and was in a similarly expensive home for about 10 years.

She survived only a month or two once her finances ran out and my father footed the bill.

Hopefully it is a nice enough home that she will be as comfortable as is reasonable for the tail end of her life. Ultimately that should make it worth it, in absolute terms, anyway.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    capt_slog said:

Not trivial RANT...

See a nice bike? buy it.

Guy I used to work with had a slightly lighter but similar observation.

He was in a hot car stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Passes through a council estate with a topless gathering around a sofa, outside in the sunshine drinking beer on a workday afternoon.

He was asking himself, “who’s the idiot here”?
  • capt_slog
    As an additional kick to the plums, (with added run-up) is that whilst the property has been rented we've had to pay tax on the income.

When it's sold, it will have increased in value from when mum bought it, and hence will attract capital gains tax.

Normally, this is not payable (up to a certain threshold) when you are selling your home. But because it's been rented out, the proportion of the gain while it was rented IS taxed. This amount will come to about what we made on the rental and payed tax on.

Got to keep that chav lager flowing.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    capt_slog said:

Not trivial RANT...

See a nice bike? buy it.

Rough world - accumulate some wealth only for it to be spent (whittled away) by end of life care.
    I looked after Mum and although it took it's toll, the house was kept.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    edited July 2023
    ^^
    There's always Beachy Head. Just putting that out there ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Not trivial RANT...

See a nice bike? buy it.

Guy I used to work with had a slightly lighter but similar observation.

He was in a hot car stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Passes through a council estate with a topless gathering around a sofa, outside in the sunshine drinking beer on a workday afternoon.

He was asking himself, “who’s the idiot here”?
    Did he quit and join them?
  • pinno

^^
    There's always Beachy Head. Just putting that out there ;)

You're tirrible Muriel.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Trying to find accommodation for a choir tour to Cornwall next year that will need about 25-30 rooms. I obviously only want to contact hotels that are big enough to accommodate us all in one place but the amount of places that don't state anywhere on their websites how many rooms they have means I'm having to guess by photos if they are going to be big enough. Surely it is a key piece of information for potential customers? My starting point was to look at the hotels coach tour companies are using and go to those but the majority that have replied don't have capacity, presumably as they are already booked by the coach companies. So far I've had one come back that can accommodate us but is over £400 per night and another that can give us slightly fewer rooms than I suspect we are going to need but at a sensible price.
  • rick_chasey
    Clients who bombard you with stream-of-conscious emails.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited July 2023

It is more problematic when it comes from support functions within your own organisation.

IT - tell me when it's broken and tell me when it's fixed. I do not require updates on your progress.

DEI - is it really necessary to mark colour blindness awareness week, or to notify me that it is day 34 of the Zarquonist pilgrimage? And, no, I have never knowgly made a microagression against someone with misshapen feet, so please can I skip that day long course?
  • pinno

It is more problematic when it comes from support functions within your own organisation.

IT - tell me when it's broken and tell me when it's fixed. I do not require updates on your progress.

DEI - is it really necessary to mark colour blindness awareness week, or to notify me that it is day 34 of the Zarquonist pilgrimage? And, no, I have never knowgly made a microagression against someone with misshapen feet, so please can I skip that day long course?
    Not even people with 3 toes or webbed feet?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    pinno said:

Not even people with 3 toes or webbed feet?

I don't think he works in Norfolk?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey

See it as the I bit in DEI. Means nothing to you, might mean everything to the one person who has it.

I do a lot on neurodiversity. Did a panel event; most of the company not interested but the 3 who were affected by it found it really quite profound.
  • First.Aspect

See it as the I bit in DEI. Means nothing to you, might mean everything to the one person who has it.

I do a lot on neurodiversity. Did a panel event; most of the company not interested but the 3 who were affected by it found it really quite profound.
    Indeed, but sometimes to get anyone to listen to you, you need to say less.
  • Rain showers when the forecast says 0% chance of rain! Was going to knock off early for a bike ride but it has just started chucking it down ffs.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Rain showers when the forecast says 0% chance of rain! Was going to knock off early for a bike ride but it has just started chucking it down ffs.

Met Office always cover themselves by given the minimum as 5%, even when it's forecast clear skies all day.

That said, I can only assume that the current SW stream is hard to predict with much accuracy, as they've been very hit-and-miss for specific places since the English Summer weather arrived... then I tend to look at the general overview (e.g. "cloudy turning showery in the afternoon") and the live rainfall radar. The graphic MO forecast which gets updated on the hour can also give an idea of how uncertain the forecast is by how much it varies from one hour to the next for the forecast for the following few hours.
  • That said, I can only assume that the current SW stream is hard to predict with much accuracy, as they've been very hit-and-miss for specific places since the English Summer weather arrived... then I tend to look at the general overview (e.g. "cloudy turning showery in the afternoon") and the live rainfall radar. The graphic MO forecast which gets updated on the hour can also give an idea of how uncertain the forecast is by how much it varies from one hour to the next for the forecast for the following few hours.

That is a fair point, the weather at the moment is so unsettled that I guess you have to take into account the fact that it can change within a 20 or 30 minute period. It is still annoying when you had had got yourself prepped for a ride though!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

What does this mean, other than you are not really interested?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pangolin said:

That he's not really interested and has a short attention span
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

pangolin said:

That he's not really interested and has a short attention span
    maybe he is neuro diverse?

• First.Aspect
    Signal to noise. It's not complicated boys.
  • pblakeney
    When flight companies don’t have the balls to admit that a flight is delayed. No way are we boarding within 5 minutes.
    Just tell us how long the delay will be so we can organise lifts at the other end.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    pblakeney said:

When flight companies don’t have the balls to admit that a flight is delayed. No way are we boarding within 5 minutes.
    Just tell us how long the delay will be so we can organise lifts at the other end.

"quick, quick board now (or we'll miss our targets)"
    once on the plane
    "I'm sorry but we don't have a slot and we can't take off for at least another hour, thank you for your patience"
    in the meantime, a thunderstorm rolls in
    "As you can see, we are having weather problems and the flight will be delayed"

THREE HOURS LATER from boarding the plane, we actually took off. By this time I'm nearly eating my kindle I'm so hungry. What's the first thing they do? Start pushing the duty free.

It was from Venice BTW, about 4 years ago

• pblakeney
    Today’s excuse was an unqualified roll back team so they needed to find a new team.
    At least it was original.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Finally arranged everything for camping trip. Now there is a storm warning.