Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Co-Cars & Co-Bikes in Exeter going into receivership. They are citing increased energy prices and vandalism as reasons, though I suspect their rapid expansion was based on borrowing at low rates, and they have got hammered on that front too.

A pity, as I was thinking that something like that might have been the answer for when my 2003 Almera bites the dust, given that I did less that 1000 miles in it last year.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/fears-exeter-roads-after-shock-8607980
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Co-Cars & Co-Bikes in Exeter going into receivership. They are citing increased energy prices and vandalism as reasons, though I suspect their rapid expansion was based on borrowing at low rates, and they have got hammered on that front too.

A pity, as I was thinking that something like that might have been the answer for when my 2003 Almera bites the dust, given that I did less that 1000 miles in it last year.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/fears-exeter-roads-after-shock-8607980

Best buy another car. Works for most people.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, till the planet gives up.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Wonder why they went under? Could it be not enough demand from normal people?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How much would you spend on a car if you did under 1000 miles a year?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Never really thought about it, but a cheapish runaround should fit the bill.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well, that's what I've been doing for a few thousand miles a year (the Almera has fitted the bill well), but if I stay at 1000ish miles a year, it works out at £1 per mile, so something car-sharingy would make more sense, as it sits there decomposing and costing money for 95% of the time. I'm not going to get rid of the Almera until it starts falling apart, but it would be nice to have sensible choices when it dies.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well, that's what I've been doing for a few thousand miles a year (the Almera has fitted the bill well), but if I stay at 1000ish miles a year, it works out at £1 per mile, so something car-sharingy would make more sense, as it sits there decomposing and costing money for 95% of the time. I'm not going to get rid of the Almera until it starts falling apart, but it would be nice to have sensible choices when it dies.

Part of what you're paying for with your own car is the convenience of having something on your doorstep to get you wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go. Not sure how car sharing would work for someone who's a bit out of town like you and whether the hassle of getting to and from wherever you have to pick it up and leave it/having to book it/possibility that they're all booked etc is worth it. And potentially getting some bland tin box that is chosen by someone else rather than a car that you like and suits you. You'll have to be the judge of that.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Part of what you're paying for with your own car is the convenience of having something on your doorstep to get you wherever you want to go, whenever you want to go. Not sure how car sharing would work for someone who's a bit out of town like you and whether the hassle of getting to and from wherever you have to pick it up and leave it/having to book it/possibility that they're all booked etc is worth it. And potentially getting some bland tin box that is chosen by someone else rather than a car that you like and suits you. You'll have to be the judge of that.

And so we come back to why I'm annoyed that Co-Cars went under, as they always had cars available in Topsham. Oh well, I'll hope that the Almera keeps going and that some other option springs up.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And so we come back to why I'm annoyed that Co-Cars went under, as they always had cars available in Topsham. Oh well, I'll hope that the Almera keeps going and that some other option springs up.
    At least you're realstic enough to realise that you need a car in some shape or form. I went to my cousins in South London on public transport the other day and what would have taken an hour tops in the car took me 2 hrs 45 mins using the train and walking. And cost more.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At least you're realstic enough to realise that you need a car in some shape or form. I went to my cousins in South London on public transport the other day and what would have taken an hour tops in the car took me 2 hrs 45 mins using the train and walking. And cost more.

I'd survive without one, if needs be, though I realise that cars, in some shape or form, are going to be part of transport in the future. But I'd be very happy if they formed a much smaller part of everyday existence.

My own approach is "How little can I use my/a car?", whereas the more common approach is to say that personal ownership is the only option, and that once you've got one or more, you might as well use them. And so our planet burns, quite literally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited July 2023
    'kin call centre people. If you can't understand English, get sacked. Literally the only thing you have to be able to do.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

'kin call centre people. If you can't understand English, get sacked. Literally the only thing you have to be able to do.

Tends to be extremely low paid, poor working culture and they are told to work to a script. Hence, increasingly companies trying to use bots. Which is something legitimately annoying.
  • rick_chasey
    I mean it's banking stuff, I'm calling because the app they tell me to use is sh!te, and then they can't understand me and then start pointing me to the app.

Argh.

Low paid or not, you have to be able to speak the language you're being called from. I wouldn't expect my lowly paid fireman to be in a wheelchair.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

Tends to be extremely low paid, poor working culture and they are told to work to a script. Hence, increasingly companies trying to use bots. Which is something legitimately annoying.
    EE is so refreshing. Call centres in the UK with great customer service.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    edited July 2023
    In the same vein: Scottish power. The most useless bunch of fcuking cnuts on the planet (even though the call centres are UK based).Though the boys on the ground are brand new.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I mean it's banking stuff, I'm calling because the app they tell me to use is sh!te, and then they can't understand me and then start pointing me to the app.

Argh.

Low paid or not, you have to be able to speak the language you're being called from. I wouldn't expect my lowly paid fireman to be in a wheelchair.

Not very woke, don't let your dinner party crowd read this!
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

Argh.

Not very woke, don't let your dinner party crowd read this!
    I have been pretty clear on my own views on learning the local lingo as part of the deal for living somewhere, which plenty on here have declared intolerant.

I believe if you want the right to live here, part of the deal is you learn to speak and read the local lingo.

But this is a more basic requirement; if your customers speak x language, you, as the phone person must speak x language to a fluent level.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    It turns out if you do a lot of cycling and walking and no other exercise for 20 years, when you start sorting out your swimming technique, your arms and shoulders tire out after about 20 strokes.

Who knew.

It's really hard working on your technique when the arms tire out quite so fast.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

It turns out if you do a lot of cycling and walking and no other exercise for 20 years, when you start sorting out your swimming technique, your arms and shoulders tire out after about 20 strokes.

Who knew.

It's really hard working on your technique when the arms tire out quite so fast.

I played a cricket match a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years. Batting was never my forte so was bad anyway, bowling took me a while to get my body to remember how to let go of the ball a the appropriate time, fielding was disastrous. My mind knew exactly how I was supposed to move, but my legs really couldn't carry out the instructions. It was really kind of embarrassing/humourous.
  • Pross
    Nigel Farage managing to get enough momentum to get someone sacked.

It typical fashion he’s using his TV slot to push a personal agenda which I suspect would be a sacking offence on most other TV networks.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Pross said:

It typical fashion he’s using his TV slot to push a personal agenda which I suspect would be a sacking offence on most other TV networks.

He wants the whole board gone. He must be absolutely loving this :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

He wants the whole board gone. He must be absolutely loving this :D

To be fair, the CEO's mistake was the leak, but Farage obviously is yet again wielding enormous power when he can get the press, Nat West and the PM dancing to his petty tune.

He's also taking it out on someone who dared to contest his version on TV, but she's not backing down.

• Stevo_666
    edited July 2023
    I'm no fan of Farage but this was totally avoidable by Coutts and their now former CEO, who is now discovering the meaning of 'go woke, go broke' on a rather personal level.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm no fan of Farage but this was totally avoidable by Coutts and their now former CEO, who is now discovering the meaning of 'go woke, go broke' on a rather personal level.

The definition of "woke" has shifted right a long way if you just have to disagree with Farage to fit the bill.

Also suspect she's not quite broke ;)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    What a waste of everyone's time.

For all we knew she was good at running natwest, she just ran afoul of professional wrecker, Farage.

Has he ever done anything constructive?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    She ran foul of pretty simple rules.
  • Pross

Yeah, it was foolish to allow Farage to drag her down in such an obvious way instead of just plying the 'we are unable to discuss details of individual accounts' line. It still feels very unfair that Farage can use a paid job on a supposed TV news channel to push his own personal agendas as he is though. I'm surprised there isn't anything in the broadcasting guidelines to prevent that.
  • briantrumpet

Indeed.

The the problem lies in the asymmetry of the relationship: Coutts bound by duty of confidentiality, Farage with his own TV programme to pursue personal grievance (amplified by media who seem to hang on his every word) risking the reputation of Coutts. But I suspect they could have drafted a very carefully worded press release saying that whilst they can't comment on individual circumstances, they have clear criteria under which alternative banking arrangements within the group are offered to those whose financial circumstances don't meet those criteria for Coutts.
  • Pross
    As a Natwest customer I don't want to be associated with Farage