Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

That said, I can only assume that the current SW stream is hard to predict with much accuracy, as they've been very hit-and-miss for specific places since the English Summer weather arrived... then I tend to look at the general overview (e.g. "cloudy turning showery in the afternoon") and the live rainfall radar. The graphic MO forecast which gets updated on the hour can also give an idea of how uncertain the forecast is by how much it varies from one hour to the next for the forecast for the following few hours.

That is a fair point, the weather at the moment is so unsettled that I guess you have to take into account the fact that it can change within a 20 or 30 minute period. It is still annoying when you had had got yourself prepped for a ride though!
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

https://www.ventusky.com *

*Courtsey of Pblakeney

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    edited July 2023
    My local convenience store. I go over to grab essentials and it takes me less than 2 minutes to walk each way, pick up what I want then go to the till and spend ages due to one or more of the following:

1. Only one person serving while several others are stacking shelves or have a cigarette outside.
    2. The person being served is having a conversation with the shop assistant
    3. The person at the till is buying hundred of scratch cards / picking up a parcel / raiding the tobacco cupboard / topping up their electric meter
    4. Someone has forgotten something and has to go walking all around the shop looking for it half way through being served.

Number 2 is the one that really annoys me, so rude chatting to your friends while a queue is waiting.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Pross said:

My local convenience store. I go over to grab essentials and it takes me less than 2 minutes to walk each way, pick up what I want then go to the till and spend ages due to one or more of the following:

1. Only one person serving while several others are stacking shelves or have a cigarette outside.
    3. The person at the till is buying hundred of scratch cards / picking up a parcel / raiding the tobacco cupboard / topping up their electric meter
    4. Someone has forgotten something and has to go walking all around the shop looking for it half way through being served.

Number 2 is the one that really annoys me, so rude chatting to your friends while a queue is waiting.

This.

You can add in for French supermarkets:

People trying to get rid of lots of change in one go, giving up, and then letting the assistant rootle around in the purse

Women paying by cheque. I've no idea why cheques are still a thing in France, and it's always women who use them. The process goes: woman writes on stub, signs cheque then detaches otherwise blank cheque to give to cashier; cashier prints details on one side, then stamps the other side, filling something else in. Everyone else stands there looking bored. Just use a card, FFS, like the rest of the developed world.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Pross said:

These are the reasons why I like self checkouts for a handful of items.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    In a similar vein, women faffing around with their bags. Queue for ages until the till, faff around, get served, then faff around before leaving the counter. Keep a card handy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pblakeney said:

In a similar vein, women faffing around with their bags. Queue for ages until the till, faff around, get served, then faff around before leaving the counter. Keep a card handy.

Maybe they are surprised by the fact that they have to pay as it's never happened before.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

pblakeney said:

Maybe they are surprised by the fact that they have to pay as it's never happened before.
    It's out of surprise because Grayson or Mr Cholomly Warner has assisted the dear lady to the front of the queue.

Hello lads. 2023 is here.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

It could be worse. It could be all these things in a Co-op where they make you queue to make the shop look popular.
  • briantrumpet
    mully79 said:

Pross said:

It could be worse. It could be all these things in a Co-op where they make you queue to make the shop look popular.

To be fair, my local Co-op is pretty good on keeping queues to a minimum.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

mully79 said:

Pross said:

To be fair, my local Co-op is pretty good on keeping queues to a minimum.
    I’m not sure I believe you. They are my last resort for dinner as I only get 30 minutes.
    It’s quicker to walk the 4 corners of a supermarket as they spread everything out on purpose.
    Id even rather go to Greggs who charge premium prices for stone cold pasties and sit down after not paying the eat in price.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    pblakeney said:

Reminds me of this old chestnut about drive through cashpoints:

Man going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Insert card
    Enter PIN number
    Take cash, card, and receipt
    Walk away

Woman going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Back up and pull forward to get closer
    Shut off engine
    Put keys in purse
    Get out of car because she is to far from machine
    Hunt for card in purse
    Insert card
    Locate grocery receipt in purse with PIN number
    Enter PIN
    Study instructions for at least 2 minutes
    Hit “cancel”
    Reenter Correct PIN number
    Check balance
    Look for envelope
    Go through purse for ink pen
    Make out deposit slip
    Study instructions again
    Endorse check
    Make deposit
    Make cash withdrawal
    Get back into car
    Check makeup in mirror
    Look for keys in purse
    Start car
    Check makeup again
    Start pulling away from ATM
    Stop
    Back up to machine
    Get out of car
    Retrieve card and receipt
    Get back into car
    Put card in wallet
    Put receipt in checkbook
    Enter deposit and withdrawal into checkbook
    Clear space in purse for wallet and checkbook
    Check makeup
    Put car in reverse
    Put car in drive
    Drive away from machine
    Drive 3 miles down the road
    Release the parking brake
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Man going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Insert card
    Enter PIN number
    Walk away

Woman going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Shut off engine
    Put keys in purse
    Hunt for card in purse
    Insert card
    Enter PIN
    Hit “cancel”
    Check balance
    Look for envelope
    Make out deposit slip
    Study instructions again
    Endorse check
    Make deposit
    Make cash withdrawal
    Get back into car
    Check makeup in mirror
    Look for keys in purse
    Start car
    Check makeup again
    Stop
    Back up to machine
    Get out of car
    Get back into car
    Put card in wallet
    Put receipt in checkbook
    Check makeup
    Put car in reverse
    Put car in drive
    Drive away from machine
    There's a problem in bold up there. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Man going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Insert card
    Enter PIN number
    Walk away

Woman going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Shut off engine
    Put keys in purse
    Hunt for card in purse
    Insert card
    Enter PIN
    Hit “cancel”
    Check balance
    Look for envelope
    Make out deposit slip
    Study instructions again
    Endorse check
    Make deposit
    Make cash withdrawal
    Get back into car
    Check makeup in mirror
    Look for keys in purse
    Start car
    Check makeup again
    Stop
    Back up to machine
    Get out of car
    Get back into car
    Put card in wallet
    Put receipt in checkbook
    Check makeup
    Put car in reverse
    Put car in drive
    Drive away from machine
    You get the drift :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Man going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Insert card
    Enter PIN number
    Walk away

Woman going to ATM
    Pull up to ATM
    Shut off engine
    Put keys in purse
    Hunt for card in purse
    Insert card
    Enter PIN
    Hit “cancel”
    Check balance
    Look for envelope
    Make out deposit slip
    Study instructions again
    Endorse check
    Make deposit
    Make cash withdrawal
    Get back into car
    Check makeup in mirror
    Look for keys in purse
    Start car
    Check makeup again
    Stop
    Back up to machine
    Get out of car
    Get back into car
    Put card in wallet
    Put receipt in checkbook
    Check makeup
    Put car in reverse
    Put car in drive
    Drive away from machine
    You get the drift :smile:

Obviously, the man got his money quicker but the senile git forgot his car. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Having our outdoor gig cancelled tomorrow. But the right call... the musc would have ended up somewhere in Somerset.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Brian, wave particle duality doesn't apply to music.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    No, but sheet music still blows around when it's windy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Didn't this stuff just used to be called soap?
  • pblakeney
    Tashman said:

It's only worth 1/4 if called soap. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry said:

No, but sheet music still blows around when it's windy.

Was exciting up a ladder pruning my bay tree yesterday.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

It's only worth 1/4 if called soap. 😉

Four bars of my favourite - coal tar soap - for £3.50 yesterday.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    The rather sudden off in the beginning of the year that broke my shoulder has turned me into a pansy on the bike.

Set out yesterday morning for a 2hr ride. Fairly chunky gusts and wind etc, as we all know. Back in the day I'd have enjoyed it, but one guest briefly lifted my backwheel off the ground and I immediately had flashbacks. Ended up chickening out and turned back home.

Really disappointed, all round, tbh. Weather was never a limiting factor before but I am not enjoying it in wet and or very windy weather anymore.

I could grit through it but I only have limited time to do things I enjoy, and is it worth it?
  • pblakeney

The rather sudden off in the beginning of the year that broke my shoulder has turned me into a pansy on the bike.

Set out yesterday morning for a 2hr ride. Fairly chunky gusts and wind etc, as we all know. Back in the day I'd have enjoyed it, but one guest briefly lifted my backwheel off the ground and I immediately had flashbacks. Ended up chickening out and turned back home.

Really disappointed, all round, tbh. Weather was never a limiting factor before but I am not enjoying it in wet and or very windy weather anymore.

I could grit through it but I only have limited time to do things I enjoy, and is it worth it?

Since I got a trainer through Covid? No. If I get caught out then fine, and I wear/carry the gear in case, but I am not deliberately heading out into bad weather again.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I have always seen you as our resident expert on what is acceptable and kindly point out our offensive faillings. So I am intrigued why the word "pansy" is OK as that would have been firmly inked into my list of words not to use in the 20th century.

For clarity I am not offended on behalf of myself or anybody else, just intrigued.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited July 2023

I have always seen you as our resident expert on what is acceptable and kindly point out our offensive faillings. So I am intrigued why the word "pansy" is OK as that would have been firmly inked into my list of words not to use in the 20th century.

For clarity I am not offended on behalf of myself or anybody else, just intrigued.
    TBH, though I do a lot on the diversity side, I still get told off for using macho phrases like "the client needs to strap on a pair and make a bloody decision", so I am not a perfect person in this.

I suspect I am behind the curve on the trans issues too, so I am definitely not an expert.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    Well, there seems to be a lot of hostility towards greatness (Elon Musk) in these parts. I'd like to see him given the respect he deserves!

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Well, there seems to be a lot of hostility towards greatness (Elon Musk) in these parts. I'd like to see him given the respect he deserves!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66217641

Such an over-achiever.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Tends to happen with age and responsibility too. When I started riding again after a 12 year break when the kids had come long I suddenly found using brakes on descents desireable and thinking about what would happen if a tractor pulled out of a farm on a road I would previously go down at terminal velocity.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

Tends to happen with age and responsibility too. When I started riding again after a 12 year break when the kids had come long I suddenly found using brakes on descents desireable and thinking about what would happen if a tractor pulled out of a farm on a road I would previously go down at terminal velocity.
    This. Just more aware of your own mortality and more to lose.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

He gets exactly the level of respect that he has earned.
    Veronese68 wrote: