Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    I would genuinely appreciate it if someone gave a thorough explanation of the attraction to superhero films, and why otherwise well read sensible people see something interesting in a genre that seems incredibly childish and contrived.

A such, the mysterious appeal of them is trivially annoying, since I can only see them as sh!te.

Game of Thrones fits that description -- it keeps the tossers happy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I would genuinely appreciate it if someone gave a thorough explanation of the attraction to superhero films, and why otherwise well read sensible people see something interesting in a genre that seems incredibly childish and contrived.

A such, the mysterious appeal of them is trivially annoying, since I can only see them as sh!te.
    Seen 1 - Nonsense, but entertaining.
    Seen 2 - Meh.
    Seen 3 - Bored now.
    Not watching a fourth.

I saved myself two films by first watching Batman Begins. It was shite but seemingly well received critically. Was happy to write the entire genre off on that basis!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I really, really liked the Batman films.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Quite like Batman, it's a bit less cheesy
  • Also the third one was possibly the best.

Same with Bourne, where it was definitely the best one.
  • Is Batman a superhero? His only super power is being rich, right?
  • And hard
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Sorry, I'm similarly baffled by them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Robert88 wrote:
    Those silver seals on the end of toothpaste tubes. Can be very hard to remove sometimes.

just smash them with a hammer.

simples, innit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    Robert88 wrote:
    Those silver seals on the end of toothpaste tubes. Can be very hard to remove sometimes.

You opening the right end?? All ours have a handy screw cap...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Superhero summary ....

Baddie plots an evil scheme
    Goodies try to stop it, but can't
    Superhero comes in and destroys baddie, gets the girl and wins the affection of the masses

When you immerse yourself in a film you often align yourself with the main character - nobody likes being defeated - so they align themselves with the winner - and when the winner takes all - what's not to like.

It isn't supposed to be thought provoking or meaningful - it's just a bit of light entertainment - remove yourself from the real world for 90 minutes.

So many movies have the same basic story line - a character overcoming the odds to win the day - just a(nother) feel good story.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Maybe not trivial -- when you are absolutely busting for a pee or a no.2 and you rush to a public toilet, the only one around, only to find it's shut! The urge just magnifies x10.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Cowsham wrote:
    Maybe not trivial -- when you are absolutely busting for a pee or a no.2 and you rush to a public toilet, the only one around, only to find it's shut! The urge just magnifies x10.

That or you have to pay. Just do it on the floor outside and foil their supply and demand theories
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    keef66 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

You opening the right end?? All ours have a handy screw cap...

You are still using the old sort? But anyway, I did think the cap might have a handy prodder with which the seal might be burst asunder, but no..
  • keef66
    The old school tubes of tomato puree have a metal seal and a handy prodder in the cap. Not sure I've ever had a tube of toothpaste like that.

Anybody know what the recycling credentials of the various toothpaste tubes are? Those plastic pump things look like a nightmare, as do the all plastic tubes. How do they decontaminate them?

I'm guessing a metal tube can just be melted down and any toothpaste residue vaporised?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    HaydenM wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

That or you have to pay. Just do it on the floor outside and Soil their supply and demand theories
    FTFY :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The whole Harry and Megan saga.
    If you don't want the gig, fcuk off then.
    Oh and you could at least pay some of the public funds back for your house renovations before you go.

Agreed. She says she wasn't prepared for the press intrusion because in America she "isn't in the tabloids". Absolute sh1te! How could anyone who's been alive on the planet earth for the last 38 years fail to understand what marrying into the British Royal Family means? They got bad press because they lectured us all on environmental issues whilst taking private jets to half a million quid baby showers and such like, or telling people off for taking photos of them at Wimbledon, and appearing in documentaries about Africa and turning it into a woe is me fest about their treatment at the hands of the press. I don't know if the stuff about her being a diva is true but I find it easy to believe having seen her on TV recently. Kate and William seem to be able to play the game so it's obviously possible to avoid all the negative publicity if you use a bit of savvy.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    think the H is blowing all the capital he gained with the British public over the last few years, tbh. seems the M may have some bag-gage.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    think the H is blowing all the capital he gained with the British public over the last few years, tbh. seems the M may have some bag-gage.......
    What makes it annoying is that a diva sh!tstorm was predicted before the wedding.
    #notsurprised
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Given that the ancient Greek myths are more or less superhero stories and still going strong a few millennia later, I'd suggest it's something fairly fundamental to mankind. https://andreaskluth.org/2008/11/29/the-ur-story/

The films can be good, bad or indifferent, but I'd suggest that is little to do with the subject matter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Oh and you could at least pay some of the public funds back for your house renovations before you go.
    Sounds a lot like "they're rich so they can't possibly have any real problems". Didn't have you down for that sort of lefty nonsense.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Sounds a lot like "they're rich so they can't possibly have any real problems". Didn't have you down for that sort of lefty nonsense.

I am actually a bit of a Royalist albeit I agree they could be trimmed down a bit. (No, not in the way the Romanov's were trimmed). They offer a good return for the money.
    What grates with me with this pair is their constant dripping and lack of self awareness.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Best consider the exit strategy very carefully first though.

Meghit
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Yebbut. Harry ain't a 'royal' though is he? Just cos iz mum was sh4gging a ginger geezer while her 'ubby was doin' that there CamillaDog don't make 'im entitled to loadsa(taxpayer)money do it. Or have I missed something?
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I am actually a bit of a Royalist albeit I agree they could be trimmed down a bit. (No, not in the way the Romanov's were trimmed). They offer a good return for the money.
    What grates with me with this pair is their constant dripping and lack of self awareness.

It is a very simple arrangement, in exchange for cutting the odd ribbon and having their photo taken they get given several million pounds.

Ironically they seem to hate people who “love” the royals.
  • pblakeney
    Pross wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Best consider the exit strategy very carefully first though.

Meghit
    I see what you did there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    orraloon wrote:
    Yebbut. Harry ain't a 'royal' though is he? Just cos iz mum was sh4gging a ginger geezer while her 'ubby was doin' that there CamillaDog don't make 'im entitled to loadsa(taxpayer)money do it. Or have I missed something?
    As always...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Pretty easy to avoid royal news if you're not interested. Given the circumstances of his mother's death I can forgive him not just letting it slide when papers run stories on whether his wife is 'allowed' to wear a particular colour of nail varnish.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Checking the weather forecast for an already tough marathon this weekend to see there's going to be heavy rain and near 50mph winds (and that's just in the valley, should be fun on the hills!).
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Pretty easy to avoid royal news if you're not interested. Given the circumstances of his mother's death I can forgive him not just letting it slide when papers run stories on whether his wife is 'allowed' to wear a particular colour of nail varnish.

No idea what you're on about re nail varnish.
    His mother died after getting into a car being driven by a drunk driver.