Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699
    What is lost in the noise is how far the asset management industry has moved in respect to the environment and social impact in just the last thee years.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    What is lost in the noise is how far the asset management industry has moved in respect to the environment and social impact in just the last thee years.

As an Asset Manager I can attest to this point.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

As I said upthread, I don't think Extinction Rebellion is in listen mode.
  • haydenm
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Again, pointing out their hypocrisy doesn't really get around the point they are making.
    I’d be more open to that argument if they were proposing any practical, workable solutions. As it is they are just a visible version of this site.

I heard someone on the radio recently in their defense saying they got the government to declare a climate emergency last time, now they are trying to get them to actually act on it. As I said earlier in the thread "They could literally be burning barrels of oil in the streets and it wouldn't change the fact that scientific facts need to be listened too and addressed".

I probably wouldn't do what they are doing, but then I'm not a climate change activist. I'm not a Londoner so I wouldn't feel the direct impact of the protests, but then I also wouldn't even hear about them if they were protesting in the same way that everyone else does. There are thousands of protests a year in London which barely make the news.

In the long term the activists will probably be on the right side of history whether we agree with what they are doing or not.
  • haydenm
    TheBigBean wrote:

Agreed, I'll be in London next week and if they don't kindly step aside when I tell them what I do I will be mightily disappointed :lol:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    HaydenM wrote:
    I probably wouldn't do what they are doing, but then I'm not a climate change activist. I'm not a Londoner so I wouldn't feel the direct impact of the protests, but then I also wouldn't even hear about them if they were protesting in the same way that everyone else does. There are thousands of protests a year in London which barely make the news.

but thats more to do with the media, maybe bored with covering the endless B word, and so following the other cause célèbre but not giving the organisations involved the same critical eye they should have to begin with, no doubt the CND lot would be doing much the same now if theyd turned up 30 odd years later.

but it doesnt make it any more worthy of note, and its not about the environment, how did the protesting of arms manufacturers or firms involved in military contracts today exactly avert a "climate emergency" ? oh thats the autonomous peace section of the environment protest apparently

they actually said today they targeted the DLR because its destination was London’s financial district so its clearly very much also about anti capitalism ideas as well, and they know if they go near Canary Wharf or alot of those buildings in the city around banking/investment firms and including often quite large areas surrounding those buildings, they are all private property with their own security who dont follow the softly softly approach the Met is taking.

for a while back in the noughties if you were a street photographer/architecture photographer on the streets of the city of London you had to carry a little card around explaining to these private security goons, you were allowed to photograph their building if you were standing in a public place, to stop them trying to confiscate your camera/film/memory card etc as some weird interpretation theyd put on the terrorism act that they had the power to do that
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    HaydenM wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Agreed, I'll be in London next week and if they don't kindly step aside when I tell them what I do I will be mightily disappointed :lol:
    I'm almost lookiing forward to some of them climbing on top of my train :twisted:

https://youtu.be/7GCZ-xUrfW8
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    awavey wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

but thats more to do with the media, maybe bored with covering the endless B word, and so following the other cause célèbre but not giving the organisations involved the same critical eye they should have to begin with, no doubt the CND lot would be doing much the same now if theyd turned up 30 odd years later.

but it doesnt make it any more worthy of note, and its not about the environment, how did the protesting of arms manufacturers or firms involved in military contracts today exactly avert a "climate emergency" ? oh thats the autonomous peace section of the environment protest apparently

they actually said today they targeted the DLR because its destination was London’s financial district so its clearly very much also about anti capitalism ideas as well, and they know if they go near Canary Wharf or alot of those buildings in the city around banking/investment firms and including often quite large areas surrounding those buildings, they are all private property with their own security who dont follow the softly softly approach the Met is taking.

for a while back in the noughties if you were a street photographer/architecture photographer on the streets of the city of London you had to carry a little card around explaining to these private security goons, you were allowed to photograph their building if you were standing in a public place, to stop them trying to confiscate your camera/film/memory card etc as some weird interpretation theyd put on the terrorism act that they had the power to do that

It's a bit of a paradox -- they are angry because we humans are victims of our own success or more correctly we have enjoyed over a century of easy energy and hence been multiplying like rabbits in a world without cats.

In other words if we hadn't been successful ( read lucky to find oil or work out what to do with it ) they probably wouldn't be here to get angry about it.

Our standard of life has increased exponentially so we live much longer -- all this puts pressure on resources and changes our planet system so if we don't adapt the planet will kick us off and rightly so.

The bigger fear for the planet and us is that AI will take over from us and render the planet unrecoverable for life as they won't need biology to survive. Maybe that's OK.

answer -- free condoms -- opps that's oil innit?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    “0.5 inch”. That is okay in written form (or 0.5”) but just sounds wrong verbally. Should be “1/2 inch” verbally. In my world anyway. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    I was wrong and, to be fair to XR, most of them have said it was a very bad idea and protesting there hurts their cause.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Cowsham wrote:
    It's the single use plastic bags that are the problem.
  • cowsham
    PBlakeney wrote:
    “0.5 inch”. That is okay in written form (or 0.5”) but just sounds wrong verbally. Should be “1/2 inch” verbally. In my world anyway. :wink:

I agree and fractions are much more accurate than decimals.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Cowsham wrote:
    ...fractions are much more accurate than decimals.

Eh?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Decimals are just a particular type of fraction.

0.6324 is precisely 6324/10000.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    PBlakeney wrote:

In my world it should be 12.7mm, but I'd probably round it up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

I worked on a site recently where we were building a large extension to an old building, the existing building drawings were in feet and inches - what a faff that was.
  • cowsham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal
  • cowsham
    Cowsham wrote:
    It's the single use plastic bags that are the problem.

I'll have to stick to the reusable ones until paper ones get more reliable.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

:D
  • rjsterry
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

0.3 recurring. BBCode doesn't allow the correct notation with a dot above the 3. Or for practical use 3dp. When you need to divide 2 3/5" into thirds where do you get a scale with 13/15ths of an inch? Or is the nearest thou (0.001") good enough?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

0.3 recurring. BBCode doesn't allow the correct notation with a dot above the 3. Or for practical use 3dp. When you need to divide 2 3/5" into thirds where do you get a scale with 13/15ths of an inch? Or is the nearest thou (0.001") good enough?
    I once saw a technical drawing where someone had converted 140mm to 5-64/125". :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cowsham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

Your using decimals again " tut - tut " no 0.001" is not anywhere near good enough in my world.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal
    Express Pi as a fraction for me. Be accurate - it’s a quite important mathematical constant.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

Your using decimals again " tut - tut " no 0.001" is not anywhere near good enough in my world.

Decimals *are* fractions. They're just in the form 1/10^n instead of 1/n.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal
    Express Pi as a fraction for me. Be accurate - it’s a quite important mathematical constant.
    Or any irrational number for that matter.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Mark Ronson. What an unlikeable charmless dull prick.
  • cowsham
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

That's easy circumference/diameter
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Cowsham wrote:
    Express 1/3 as a decimal

355/113 ;)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    awavey wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Express 1/3 as a decimal

355/113 ;)
    Close, but not correct. Try again. I did ask for accurate, not a very good approximation. :)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    Cowsham wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Express 1/3 as a decimal

That's easy circumference/diameter

And how accurately can you measure either of those? By definition if one of them is exactly a whole number of units in length (assuming you have some magical way of determining that) then by definition the other cannot be a whole number of units.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    awavey wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Express 1/3 as a decimal

355/113 ;)
    Close, but not correct. Try again. I did ask for accurate, not a very good approximation. :)

Surely you need to specify a degree of accuracy, since absolute accuracy is physically impossible.
    Pinnacle Monzonite