Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Car mechanics, main dealers in particular. Time and again after I’ve picked the car up after an “under the bonnet” issue I’ve had to reset the radio, the seats, switch the auto stuff back on and so on. Today they’ve even managed to set the SatNav to monochrome which I didn’t even know was possible. So come on, why do they fark about with your interior settings?
    They want it set up just nice for hooning around before you pick it up.

:evil: Which would explain the 40 miles on the clock since I dropped it in. Going to have a word I think."..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Big Harv wrote:
    Car mechanics, main dealers in particular. Time and again after I’ve picked the car up after an “under the bonnet” issue I’ve had to reset the radio, the seats, switch the auto stuff back on and so on. Today they’ve even managed to set the SatNav to monochrome which I didn’t even know was possible. So come on, why do they fark about with your interior settings?

Several times I've picked my car up and then had people flashing me the first time I drive in the dark afterwards because they've turned my headlights off automatic.
  • Pross
    Everyone's favourite protestors seem to have really messed up this morning. Stupid choice of target and learned nothing from the fuel protests that once you start impacting on the lives of 'normal people' you alienate their support. Also, targeting a station in the East End is a bit more dangerous than The City.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Pross wrote:
    Everyone's favourite protestors seem to have really messed up this morning. Stupid choice of target and learned nothing from the fuel protests that once you start impacting on the lives of 'normal people' you alienate their support. Also, targeting a station in the East End is a bit more dangerous than The City.

The response was not entirely unsurprising but still unpleasant.

Blocking public transport seems like a completely ill directed approach by ER. OK, it gets attention but it really will alienate them with the mass of commuters. They need support - this is not the way to get it.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Pross
    Longshot wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Blocking public transport seems like a completely ill directed approach by ER. OK, it gets attention but it really will alienate them with the mass of commuters. They need support - this is not the way to get it.

It's going the way of many other protests where they seem to get infiltrated by extremists / anarchists who aren't really interested in the actual cause but want to cause disruption.

It was interesting to see the guy with the camera who was dragged down (he claimed to be a journalist and may technically be one but he was obviously associated with the group) bemoaning how long the police took to get there. For a start Extinction Rebellion are usually moaning about the police being present and secondly the person who filmed the bloke getting pulled of the roof of the train and given a kicking said the police got there quickly and restored order. It felt a bit like they knew what would happen and intended using it as part of their propaganda.
  • Pross wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It's going the way of many other protests where they seem to get infiltrated by extremists / anarchists who aren't really interested in the actual cause but want to cause disruption.

It was interesting to see the guy with the camera who was dragged down (he claimed to be a journalist and may technically be one but he was obviously associated with the group) bemoaning how long the police took to get there. For a start Extinction Rebellion are usually moaning about the police being present and secondly the person who filmed the bloke getting pulled of the roof of the train and given a kicking said the police got there quickly and restored order. It felt a bit like they knew what would happen and intended using it as part of their propaganda.

Half of me thinks the hippies phone the police in advance, they would not have lasted 5 mins in Smithfield without the police to keep the market traders off them and same with lying in the road in front of angry truck/taxi drivers
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Half of me thinks the hippies phone the police in advance, they would not have lasted 5 mins in Smithfield without the police to keep the market traders off them and same with lying in the road in front of angry truck/taxi drivers

The thing with all protests I've seen over the last few years is that they always have a load of people filming either on phones or with professional kit, usually pointing at the police and it feels like they are deliberately trying to provoke responses just to capture them on camera. I'm still trying to understand the mentality of targeting people using public transport when the best way to get people out of cars is to make public transport a more convenient solution. Utterly bizarre.
  • Maybe it's the oil majors infiltrating the protests to undermine the public support and their cause!
  • Have they said what the logic of targeting Canning Town station is? Seems a weird choice.
  • Have they said what the logic of targeting Canning Town station is? Seems a weird choice.

Canary Wharf is a private estate so they can’t get on, looks like they tried to block trains going in. If they did the same at Bermondsey the locals may have dealt with it with no cameras
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Big Harv wrote:

They disconnect the battery.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Have they said what the logic of targeting Canning Town station is? Seems a weird choice.
    One of the "journalists" attacked this morning was asked that very question, along with why target public transport, which ideally you want people using rather than their cars.

His only response was that the police had stopped them from disrupting cars.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:

Yes, I guess part of me knew that. But even when I had manually adjustable seats they would obviously have a midget drive it. I’m 6ft 3. It’s trivial of course.
  • Pross
    elbowloh wrote:
    Have they said what the logic of targeting Canning Town station is? Seems a weird choice.
    One of the "journalists" attacked this morning was asked that very question, along with why target public transport, which ideally you want people using rather than their cars.

And also that the disruption is nothing compared to that which will occur if we don't act on climate change which is a ridiculous justification.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pross wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

And also that the disruption is nothing compared to that which will occur if we don't act on climate change which is a ridiculous justification.
    Would it be fair to ask a protestor how they got to the place of the protest?
    #awkward :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Again, pointing out their hypocrisy doesn't really get around the point they are making.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    HaydenM wrote:
    Again, pointing out their hypocrisy doesn't really get around the point they are making.
    The crowd at Canning Town station didn't seem to agree with that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    HaydenM wrote:

They need to make their point in a different way. They appear to be losing any support they had.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    London being London.

"Yes yes it's the end of the world BUT F*CKING DON'T MAKE ME LATE TO WORK YOU C&NT"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Big Harv wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:

Yes, I guess part of me knew that. But even when I had manually adjustable seats they would obviously have a midget drive it. I’m 6ft 3. It’s trivial of course.

Opposite for me; I'm a shortarse but the mechanics all appear to be Peter Crouch. I jump in the car and I can't reach any of the controls.

Perhaps we can swap garages??
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    London being London.

"Yes yes it's the end of the world BUT F*CKING DON'T MAKE ME LATE TO WORK YOU C&NT"

Many people are unfortunate enough to be in the position that if they're late to work then they're docked wages or worse. People in that position are usually those who earn the least and so can bear the brunt of that wage docking the least.

I can sympathise.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Yup. London being London.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I fully support the cause that they are fighting for, but I also agree that they are will lose support going on like this. They should be hitting oil, finance, airlines, auto manufacturers and the government. They should also be selling positives, what opportunities it brings for business - develop the tech that will get us out of this mess etc.Selling the negatives, even if you are right just doesn't sell (see Brexit) and at the end of the day, that's what they are doing, selling a message.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • When I used to live out that way, it never struck me that the majority of people getting trains from Canning Town were pulling the levers of the world order. (And that goes even more so for those of us getting on in Beckton.)
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    HaydenM wrote:

Forget hypocrisy, this is stupidity. They need widespread support to help sway any Government to their cause. This NOT the way to garner that support.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    When I used to live out that way, it never struck me that the majority of people getting trains from Canning Town were pulling the levers of the world order. (And that goes even more so for those of us getting on in Beckton.)

Flying from City Airport innit. :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    HaydenM wrote:
    I’d be more open to that argument if they were proposing any practical, workable solutions. As it is they are just a visible version of this site.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    When I used to live out that way, it never struck me that the majority of people getting trains from Canning Town were pulling the levers of the world order. (And that goes even more so for those of us getting on in Beckton.)

You told me it was about getting people's attention.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

I know - and I've been trying to think of a way in which this could be considered useful attention.

Disrupting the City brings attention to the way they say the City needs to change, same with Westminster.

Disrupting Canning Town just winds people up.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    TheBigBean wrote:

I know - and I've been trying to think of a way in which this could be considered useful attention.

Disrupting the City brings attention to the way they say the City needs to change, same with Westminster.

Disrupting Canning Town just winds people up.

Finance has delivered all the bad, but it has also delivered all the good - it's just money. It needs to be targeted at the bad.

So I still don't really understand the blocking of cyclists and electric buses, so blocking a few electric trains just seems like a pointless extension of the previous strategy.