Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Shortfall wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

It's the prep time that's the pain - it takes less than 30 seconds to get a bowl and fill it with cereal, shuv on some milk - and not much longer to eat it all... which is great when you're on a reasonably tight schedule to get the school run done....

Mate, life is too short to beat yourself up about marginal stuff like that.

The internet is full of advice from people who apparently make Michelin starred food in 5 minutes with "just" about 25 different types of food they somehow have time to buy and about 4 specific, expensive and large pieces of kitchenware that will set you back about a grand in total and take up 2/3rds of your available kitchen surface space.

The nutri bullet is not much bigger than a pint glass so takes up no room. It's quite cheap to buy and well made so it will last years. The ingredients I put in my own smoothies are cheap and readily available at Aldi and other supermarkets. I don't claim Michelin quality flavour and presentation but I do claim that it does what the OP asks for - namely produce a tasty low carb breakfast in no time (plus it does a ton of other stuff too).

I second that although I have a cheaper alternative machine. You can throw pretty much anything in it (except carrots I find) and it will mush it. I actually sometimes even do granola in it simply because it's quicker to drink than eat. I haven't tried a FEB smoothie yet but you never know.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    and with all this talk of food - I'm hungry again!

(keeps it on track with the trivial things that annoy me!)
  • slowbike
    Longshot wrote:
    I haven't tried a FEB smoothie yet but you never know.
    WTF is a FEB smoothie? Or did you just misplace your fingers whilst typing?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Slowbike wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Sorry, Full English Breakfast.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    Why do coffee grinders make more noise than Concorde?
  • slowbike
    Longshot wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Sorry, Full English Breakfast.
    Ah :) an intentional TLA - just didn't understand what it stood for ...

a FEB smoothie - what's the point? It'll take longer to prepare - may as well just eat it properly! :cry:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    edited October 2019
    That (some) cyclists can't work out when it will get dark. Er, duh.

On a busy narrow road in south Oxfordshire used as a commuter rat run so 'kin busy from 5pm onwards. I'm in a vehicle; btw I would not ride that road at that time of dusk especially as there is an alternative tarmac cycle path away through the fields.

Bit of a traffic crawl queue. Is getting almost full dark. See the first rider, hi viz fluoro, big lights, no worries. 100m further along the road is another rider, think was female, pink top, putting down some watts, zero lighting. Fxxx, you are going to die. I pass her then another 200m up the road follow the left turn off which takes most of the commuter traffic, but it is a T coming the other way without the priority. Big queue waiting to turn on. Hold back looking in mirror going xxxx this could go bad here. But see her cross the junction straight on without being taken out. Lucky lady.

Is October. It gets dark earlier. Get some lights on. Or schedule your ride to get back before rush hour. And don't cause palpitations in fellow cyclists seeing you put your life at serious risk.

size=85]edited to correct direction; strange how one can wake up in the middle of the night and think that cannot tell left from right[/size
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652

Because Concorde does not exist and coffee grinders do.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Lagrange wrote:

Because Concorde does not exist and coffee grinders do.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    orraloon wrote:
    That (some) cyclists can't work out when it will get dark. Er, duh.

On a busy narrow road in south Oxfordshire used as a commuter rat run so 'kin busy from 5pm onwards. I'm in a vehicle; btw I would not ride that road at that time of dusk especially as there is an alternative tarmac cycle path away through the fields.

Bit of a traffic crawl queue. Is getting almost full dark. See the first rider, hi viz fluoro, big lights, no worries. 100m further along the road is another rider, think was female, pink top, putting down some watts, zero lighting. Fxxx, you are going to die. I pass her then another 200m up the road follow the right turn off which takes most of the commuter traffic, but it is a T coming the other way without the priority. Big queue waiting to turn on. Hold back looking in mirror going xxxx this could go bad here. But see her cross the junction straight on without being taken out. Lucky lady.

Is October. It gets dark earlier. Get some lights on. Or schedule your ride to get back before rush hour. And don't cause palpitations in fellow cyclists seeing you put your life at serious risk.

This ^^^ so much, I was driving home today on a road I wont even cycle on during the daytime because I think its that unsafe to cycle at the best of times, due to the mix of heavy traffic (buses,trucks,tippertrucks) & speed, its NSL, & setup of the road (its a road where 3 people have been killed in the past 5 years I think) & we came across a similar traffic crawl queue,which I figured was due to a cyclist, and eventually we came upto a guy who was head to toe in dark grey camo gear, whose rear light if it was putting out more than 1 lumen Id be amazed.

It was dark it was raining, he was head to to in dark camo gear with next to no rear light cycling on what I think is one of the most dangerous roads around here to be cycling on, Im still expecting to pick up a local paper tomorrow to find he got wiped out.
  • awavey
    also what happened to the forum yesterday, I was almost forced to talk to real people :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    awavey wrote:
    also what happened to the forum yesterday, I was almost forced to talk to real people :)

'almost', well that's a relief. I would have been terrified too.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    Pinno wrote:
    awavey wrote:

'almost', well that's a relief. I would have been terrified too.

trust me when the alternative is spending time listening to chat about dermaplaning (GIYF) and eyelash implants...it was terrifying :lol:
  • pinno
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    "So, basically it is like shaving your face."
    Giving women a real world idea of mens sacrifices. :lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

$150 -$250 for a shave ... most blokes are trained professionals aren't they?! Time to give up the day job!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Porridge. Yeh, there are some carbohydrates there, but it's a healthy option and you won't need a lot to feel full/satisfied.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Porridge. Yeh, there are some carbohydrates there, but it's a healthy option and you won't need a lot to feel full/satisfied.

The right thread?!
  • awavey
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

genuinely the girl who had it done and was busy explaining to us how wonderful it was (totally not convinced btw) with before and after photos, did say she asked the beautician if she'd end up with stubble when the hair grew back. :shock:

but you guys dont end up looking like youve been sunburnt when you shave do you ? I mean this isnt just scraping dead skin cells and hair, this is taking a layer of skin off, its exactly like being sunburnt tbf like when you peel, thats how you end up looking just very flushed.
  • pblakeney
    I wasn't being entirely serious. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Amazon. If you want something simple, it has at least 100 of just about everything - the problem is that at least half is fake or of dubious quality.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Amazon. If you want something simple, it has at least 100 of just about everything - the problem is that at least half is fake or of dubious quality.

Me too. It was good back in the day when everything was stocked and sold by Amazon, but since they started allowing affiliates to use the platform It's like the wild west.
    I CBA to wade through 30,000 iPad cases trying to work out which, if any, are of reasonable quality and would last more than 5 minutes.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Yeah Amazon now more dodgy than ebay.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Robert88 wrote:
    Yeah Amazon now more dodgy than ebay.

Yep
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Having recently moved house I got a letter from the mafia threatening to fine me if I did not explain to them why I don't need to pay them any money.
  • pinno
    earth wrote:
    Having recently moved house I got a letter from the mafia threatening to fine me if I did not explain to them why I don't need to pay them any money.

Err... can you elaborate?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    Staff at Starbucks and Costa give you the cup with the spout over the seam somewhere around 85% of the time. Children, it leaks that way okay?
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:

TV Licencing. The BBC.
  • earth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:

TV Licencing. The BBC.

It is unlikely the mafia are impersonating the BBC to scam circa £150 out of you.
  • pinno
    earth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:

TV Licencing. The BBC.

It is unlikely the mafia are impersonating the BBC to scam circa £150 out of you.

'Mafia' means different things to different people.