Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    How do I do that, and do you think they would actually listen? From my limited engagement, they are not in listening mode.

Who knows? I'm sure some would listen but maybe others not. And if so, that's the most convincing reason I have heard to condemn them. They ought to be both doing disruptive protest to remind us of the issue and showing us what to do about it in realistic ways that we can (because everyone needs to work on this and everyone sitting in the road isn't a solution).

I agree, they are currently only doing the disruptive protest. They seem to have no idea about the rest.

I though the protest was about wanting any government from any side to recognise the existential challenges around climate change and rather than having a discussion on whether it is or isn't happening or whethere there is anything to be done, and instead recognise that Co2 emissions *will* have to reduce by a significant amount, and what the government is actually going to do to stop it. Implicit is the understanding that individually the impact on doing something or not is entirely negligible and it is only through nationwide regulation/governance that material changes can be made.

There will be trade offs, some fairly significant, some mentioned in here, but where those trade offs land is a political decision. Currently that discussion is not happening, and there is a reticence for democracies and governments across the world to tackle that problem.

I think that's the point of XR, at least, that's what they were saying around Bank yesterday.
  • rick_chasey
    Am sure I have said this before, but, particularly on tubes or busy trains, people who insist on getting out of their seats and trying to thread their way towards the door before the train has stopped.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    How do I do that, and do you think they would actually listen? From my limited engagement, they are not in listening mode.

Who knows? I'm sure some would listen but maybe others not. And if so, that's the most convincing reason I have heard to condemn them. They ought to be both doing disruptive protest to remind us of the issue and showing us what to do about it in realistic ways that we can (because everyone needs to work on this and everyone sitting in the road isn't a solution).

I agree, they are currently only doing the disruptive protest. They seem to have no idea about the rest.

I though the protest was about wanting any government from any side to recognise the existential challenges around climate change and rather than having a discussion on whether it is or isn't happening or whethere there is anything to be done, and instead recognise that Co2 emissions *will* have to reduce by a significant amount, and what the government is actually going to do to stop it. Implicit is the understanding that individually the impact on doing something or not is entirely negligible and it is only through nationwide regulation/governance that material changes can be made.

There will be trade offs, some fairly significant, some mentioned in here, but where those trade offs land is a political decision. Currently that discussion is not happening, and there is a reticence for democracies and governments across the world to tackle that problem.

I think that's the point of XR, at least, that's what they were saying around Bank yesterday.

But the UK government does accept it is a problem and legislated to achieve net zero by 2050. It asked its independent body to come up with a plan which it did. It now needs to deliver this plan.

In terms of international cooperation, I have no idea. Perhaps, after the event that shall not be named has happened, the government can consider a carbon border tax.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    TheBigBean wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I could plant triple the government's targets if farmers would sell it and government agencies would approve it. People are working full time looking for planting opportunities. No one else is planting trees on the same scale.

So a bit of protest would help you out?

When you say no one else is planting on the same scale, do you mean other countries? Korea had a very successful post war planting scheme. They still have a national tree planting day. In any case, I am not sure it is that relevant. The CCC has set the tree planting target, the government is failing to achieve it. Protesters should target this failure, and protest plant if necessary.

Maybe it would, but then the public also object to tree planting. It's against my chartership code of conduct to be unprofessional on the internet so I'll have to watch what I say :lol:

I went to one scheme where the locals thought it would increase flooding so SEPA opposed it, despite the fact they wrote the EU Forest and Water guidelines which are mostly about flood prevention benefits... The public and government want it, then government agencies oppose it at every turn unless you are a farmer planting up 3ha of broadleaves to take a grant. The current argument is them changing the rules on ground preparation to make it so you physically can't get trees to grow on most sites. If they want to hit targets they need us, but it doesn't look like they are serious about hitting targets.

I meant no one else in the UK, other countries do a great job
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

But the UK government does accept it is a problem and legislated to achieve net zero by 2050. It asked its independent body to come up with a plan which it did. It now needs to deliver this plan.

Do you genuinely believe the government is committed to delivering that, or any plan like it?

I am sceptical, and a straw poll in people in my life says the same.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Do you genuinely believe the government is committed to delivering that, or any plan like it?

I was sceptical about the 2020 plan and the creation of the CCC. Now I am believer, and probably come across like the evangelical religious folk.

The most recent offshore wind auction was stunning. Truly ground breaking stuff. On current base forecasts it should make the government money. Just think what an absolutely amazing achievement that is.
  • TheBigBean
    HaydenM wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I could plant triple the government's targets if farmers would sell it and government agencies would approve it. People are working full time looking for planting opportunities. No one else is planting trees on the same scale.

When you say no one else is planting on the same scale, do you mean other countries? Korea had a very successful post war planting scheme. They still have a national tree planting day. In any case, I am not sure it is that relevant. The CCC has set the tree planting target, the government is failing to achieve it. Protesters should target this failure, and protest plant if necessary.

Maybe it would, but then the public also object to tree planting. It's against my chartership code of conduct to be unprofessional on the internet so I'll have to watch what I say :lol:

I went to one scheme where the locals thought it would increase flooding so SEPA opposed it, despite the fact they wrote the EU Forest and Water guidelines which are mostly about flood prevention benefits... The public and government want it, then government agencies oppose it at every turn unless you are a farmer planting up 3ha of broadleaves to take a grant. The current argument is them changing the rules on ground preparation to make it so you physically can't get trees to grow on most sites. If they want to hit targets they need us, but it doesn't look like they are serious about hitting targets.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Sounds like protesting outside SEPA would be a good idea then.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I was sceptical about the 2020 plan and the creation of the CCC. Now I am believer, and probably come across like the evangelical religious folk.

The most recent offshore wind auction was stunning. Truly ground breaking stuff. On current base forecasts it should make the government money. Just think what an absolutely amazing achievement that is.

So I have friends who work in the department for energy and they are incredibly sceptical. They have done a lot of work on decarbonisation and their bosses do not want to discuss it.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    TheBigBean wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Thanks for the interesting post.

Sounds like protesting outside SEPA would be a good idea then.

Agreed, that and lobbying ministers
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

So I have friends who work in the department for energy and they are incredibly sceptical. They have done a lot of work on decarbonisation and their bosses do not want to discuss it.

No excitement for offshore wind?
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

No excitement for offshore wind?

I don't know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Finishing a jigsaw to find it's missing a piece
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    HaydenM wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

See, this is the problem in so much stuff these days. We keep asking the opinion of the ill-informed (see the other thread about planning). As you say, planting trees is a great form of flood prevention. When I was involved more in Flood Risk work I was amazed by the amount of water a tree 'drank' each day.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    keef66 wrote:
    Not finished then ;)
  • keef66
    Tashman wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Not finished then ;)

Finished to a tolerance of +/- 0.1%....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Not finished then ;)

On a 6 piece puzzle?!
  • Pross
    keef66 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Not finished then ;)

Ah but working out where that final piece should go is always a major challenge! :lol:
  • Pross
    Actually, that's got me thinking I'd really like to do a nice big jigsaw puzzle. It's years (probably decades) since I last did one. Is this another sign that I'm getting old?
  • keef66
    We're having a jigsaw craze in the office at the moment, hence the post. I'm sure the cleaners hoover up the odd piece just for fun.
    Quite a good exercise in teamwork / shared achievement. It is a curiously satisfying activity.
    Once completed, it's back in the box and off to a different department. Must be half a dozen on the go at any one time.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Steve Wright.

FTFY

this and the sycophantic duo he pollutes the airwaves with.

And that stupid mockney voice he uses when doing a "shaaaoouut it". idiot.

and the stupid scripts he uses on his shows.

and the arsse kissing throughout.

utter bilge, the lot of it.

I listened to that over 30 years ago. I'm amazed that basically the same programme is still running today seemingly unchanged. I don't understand why anyone would bother.

I sometimes listen when driving but you're right, it's his old Radio 1 afternoon show and hasn't exactly moved with the times in the last 20-30 years. The bits I really hate are those pointless and really bad Trump impressions (every man and his dog seems to do a better Trump impression) and the Jeremy Vine cr@p plus the last couple of times I've listened he's had that 'real people not actors' sketch.

its just all so shytee.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • TheBigBean
    This forum. And yes, I know there is an easy cure.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    forgetting to pump the tyre up on the non-direct turbo - wondering why it was so hard - then finding out the next day that it was only 60psi .... oops ..
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Bin lorries.

With all the congestion, it is really a good idea for them to collect rubbish in rush hour, stopping regularly and often not sensibly (e.g. sticking out at angles across lanes)? Why not collect rubbish earlier (i'm sure they used to) or later in the day?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    I think they collect from before rush hour through until well after (I see the wagons out at 6am but my bins don't get collected until 10-11am). I guess they could stop for 2 hours from 7-9am but somebody would have to pay the overtime and nobody who did that would win any contracts.

It is annoying though, I nearly got doored by a binman this morning as I went to go around the wagon - I wouldn't mind so much but he was facing me and my 2 bright flashing lights at the time.
  • Pross
    Around my way they start early, don't know when they finish but they do my village from about 7am. Problem is they hit the centre of the village, which is a narrow one way system, at around 8.00am. If I leave the house later than usual I get stuck behind them for about 10 - 15 minutes as they won't move on to a wide section and take the bins to the lorry they have to stop it outside every house. I managed to get stuck behind one on a run around country lanes a few weeks ago, there wasn't enough width for me to pass safely on either side so it would pull away from me then I'd catch up and have to wait while it moved on to the next house. Not pleasant being stuck behind that smell for a mile or so!
  • Pross
    Eat Well For Less on BBC at the moment. Two elderly Type 2 diabetics who have one fridge full of fizzy drinks, another full of chocolate for her and a cupboard full of sweets. The rest of the time they are eating takeaways and deep fried food. To top it all off she's a nurse and is aware she's getting eye problems.

Some people should be banned from NHS treatment.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross wrote:
    Eat Well For Less on BBC at the moment. Two elderly Type 2 diabetics who have one fridge full of fizzy drinks, another full of chocolate for her and a cupboard full of sweets. The rest of the time they are eating takeaways and deep fried food. To top it all off she's a nurse and is aware she's getting eye problems.

Some people should be banned from NHS treatment.

Of course it must all be true. Programme makers would never embelish would they?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My wife and I go to the wildlife photographer of the year exhibition every year at the NHM. We like to pick our favourites and finish by looking at the winning entry, which should be a surprise.

Today I have inadvertently seen the winning photo 5 times, either in the Times, the Guardian online, on BBC news and, when I clicked on Instagram, it was the first pic that came up. No spoilers, no warnings. Bastards.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Car mechanics, main dealers in particular. Time and again after I’ve picked the car up after an “under the bonnet” issue I’ve had to reset the radio, the seats, switch the auto stuff back on and so on. Today they’ve even managed to set the SatNav to monochrome which I didn’t even know was possible. So come on, why do they fark about with your interior settings?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Big Harv wrote:
    Car mechanics, main dealers in particular. Time and again after I’ve picked the car up after an “under the bonnet” issue I’ve had to reset the radio, the seats, switch the auto stuff back on and so on. Today they’ve even managed to set the SatNav to monochrome which I didn’t even know was possible. So come on, why do they fark about with your interior settings?
    They want it set up just nice for hooning around before you pick it up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.