Bradley wiggins - A year in yellow

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Any sign of it appearing on one of the other Sky channels? They are keeping Atlantic to themselves at them moment.
  • The more I see Brailsford on TV the more irritating I find him.

Listen to him enough and you'll see right through him. Takes credit for success, blames others for failure. The more I see him interviewed, the more contradictions I hear.

Sutton is the brains behind the teams success and I bet Dave B is gutted that this documentary showed that.
  • The more I see Brailsford on TV the more irritating I find him.

Listen to him enough and you'll see right through him. Takes credit for success, blames others for failure. The more I see him interviewed, the more contradictions I hear.

Sutton is the brains behind the teams success and I bet Dave B is gutted that this documentary showed that.

I love Shane Sutton but I have absolutely no farking idea how you draw that conclusion :shock:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The more I see Brailsford on TV the more irritating I find him.

I love Shane Sutton but I have absolutely no farking idea how you draw that conclusion :shock:

+1 WTF??

Brailsford was only briefly in the documentary, I thought it was interesting when he said he didn't have any friends, then he tried to backtrack. The guy is clearly methodical and good at what he does, difficult criticise him on a professional level.

Sutton, can't believe how down to earth this guy is, that flat is worse than some of my old student hovels :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    GrenW wrote:
    Any sign of it appearing on one of the other Sky channels? They are keeping Atlantic to themselves at them moment.
    Tuesday, 6.30. Sky Sports 3
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Still not on ct.nl :(
  • Still not on ct.nl :(

Maybe your building this up to much? I can feel disappointment is on it's way!
  • The DVD will have loads of extras so might be worth getting.
  • TMR
    Maybe your building this up to much? I can feel disappointment is on it's way!

Probably :(
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Whether Brailsford is the brains of the operation or not, he is responsible for building a staff that has led to huge success and in business terms that makes him fantastic from a management perspective.

P.S. I thought the film was great. It's essentially 'Chasing Legends' but about Sky instead of HTC... Even has much of the same kind of dramatic orchestral influenced scores.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Be patient if you haven't seen it yet - it's a fine piece of work.

"Access" is all important for a thing like this - and if you're a Wiggins fan, there's unprecedented access in this.
    There are some brave and creative choices around subject matter that we've become familiar with (as well as some familiar ways of dealing with subjects we've become familiar with - like the Fenton's acceleration on Stage 11 to La Toussuire-Les Sybelles: i.e. have the editing and interviewees suggest there was an intentional attempt to undermine Wiggins by Froome, and then leave it all to the viewer/spectator to draw their conclusions. If you followed the story, I don't think any new info came to light during the film - it'll probably just reinforce whatever opinion you already had about the issue).
    The term "choices" in this context is a telly term for things like the length of pauses left in the final cut (Brailsford's response to the question "are you mates with Bradley?" a perfect example), the reaction shots (or "cut-aways") and deciding to leave the director's voice in with no narrator (a surprisingly big decision, editorially). There's loads of nice little touches - like we see Wiggins climb onto the podium in Paris and hear a bit of his speech... but the shots aren't of him; they're of the crowd, union flags, etc, and for his "raffle" comment we see Brailsford, leaning on a team bike basking in the golden sunshine, crack a laugh. Someone in the Champs Elysees crowd catches Sutton out by chanting "there's only one Shane Sutton"... loads of great Sutton moments (he could get his own show on the back of this: I'd watch 'The Shane Sutton Guide to Life')... the little throw-way scene at breakfast of Wiggins acting as a fan/journo quizzing Porte about what he's eating, that made me laugh.. and his p!ss take of Cav commentating at the Olympics - on the telly at Wiggins's nan's- (in a Scouse accent) "talking about bunch racing, and stuff"... the scene at his kid's school is fantastic, too - watching him desperately trying to keep his sh!t together and not get the giggles...
    That's just some of the non-cycling stuff (I hope that hasn't spoilt anything - it made me laugh even more the second time I watched it).
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    My favourite quote of the programme was when Shane Sutton was asked about BW's physical condition before the 2010 Tour, his reply "he couldn't pull the foreskin off a rice pudding"......superb. He has now been added to my 'famous people you'd like to have a pint with' list.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought it was brilliant. Wiggo came across very well. I like how brutal he was about everything, his dad, success, doping etc.

My only gripe is: I wish they left in a shot from inside the car when Froome attacked, I would love to have heard what was actually said, I'm sure it wouldn't have been so calm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm no Wiggin fan and I enjoyed it.

Partly 'cos it's almost December and I'm the sounds of the Tour bring me back to a happier place, but also since it was done well.

It's a standard sporting human interest story. If you like sport, most likely you'll like it.
  • TMR
    sjmclean wrote:
    I thought it was brilliant. Wiggo came across very well. I like how brutal he was about everything, his dad, success, doping etc.

My only gripe is: I wish they left in a shot from inside the car when Froome attacked, I would love to have heard what was actually said, I'm sure it wouldn't have been so calm.

They did in the 5 part Sky documentary immediately following the Tour. Sutton says something like "Oh! What you doing Froomy? Wait for Brad."
  • sjmclean wrote:

They did in the 5 part Sky documentary immediately following the Tour. Sutton says something like "Oh! What you doing Froomy? Wait for Brad."

Sutton? I thought it was Yates and Brailsford in the car.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    sjmclean wrote:

It was some other bloke with a slap-head. Whoever it was, he looked a bit shell-shocked.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    let me guess. Brad the wholesome family man who would never dope
    and was just all down to bustin his ass 6hrs a day.
    It is taken me a little longer to regain interest in hero
    worshipey type stories . The Reasoned Decision has
    left me more bitter
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Dave_1 wrote:
    let me guess. Brad the wholesome family man who would never dope
    and was just all down to bustin his ass 6hrs a day.
    It is taken me a little longer to regain interest in hero
    worshipey type stories . The Reasoned Decision has
    left me more bitter

Instead of guessing, why not try watching it? You might enjoy it, but looks like you've already made your mind up.
  • Is it just me or has the dutch download site gone down?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    neale1978 wrote:
    Is it just me or has the dutch download site gone down?
    It's not just you.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Seems ok now

Any chance of anyone that can request the upload of it please do so as i cant seem to even though iam logged in
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just watched this and really enjoyed it, even my misses liked it, must be rubbing off on her, nearly fell off my chair when she said "Oh that's Cadel Evans" must have watched too much cycling this year!
    Reminded me of what an amazing year we've had for British cycling this year, quite emotional. Wiggins came across very well and so did Sutton, one of the only aussies associated with sport that isn't a complete ass . As for all the Brailsford hate, would we have done this well this year without him?
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    For all their ££ millions at sky, I found it a little sad that Sutton lived in what looked like a "tatty" one bedroom kitchen flat with a 1970s carpet and the paintwork looked as if it had'nt had a lick of paint since well emm the 70's. and then you see wiggins in a country house and from the Road to Glory Brailsford stays in one of manchester's top hotels. not being a snob, my GF said the same as me when we were watching it.
    His choice I’d have thought. He’ll be on a pretty good wage as Brad’s coach.
    Was dead funny seeing him iron a shirt on the floor though!
    As an Aussie, he may not be planning to stay here permanently and the accom may just be a make-do that uses an efficient amount of his earnings. He might be an old school nomad who doesn't want to tie up all his funds in long-term property commitments, something your average middle-class mamil may not comprehend.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    For all their ££ millions at sky, I found it a little sad that Sutton lived in what looked like a "tatty" one bedroom kitchen flat with a 1970s carpet and the paintwork looked as if it had'nt had a lick of paint since well emm the 70's. and then you see wiggins in a country house and from the Road to Glory Brailsford stays in one of manchester's top hotels. not being a snob, my GF said the same as me when we were watching it.
    As an Aussie, he may not be planning to stay here permanently and the accom may just be a make-do that uses an efficient amount of his earnings. He might be an old school nomad who doesn't want to tie up all his funds in long-term property commitments, something your average middle-class mamil may not comprehend.

Or he just spent all his money on a huge state of the art barbecue area out the back (off camera).
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

He's been here since the 80's and has used the flat there since he first worked with BC in the Peter Keen days. He's got a place in Cardiff where he lives when not in Manchester.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    MrTapir wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Or he just spent all his money on a huge state of the art barbecue area out the back (off camera).
    And a fridge full of shrimp :-) To be fait I wouldn't mind living above a bike shop, love the LBS chat :-) That said, I'd probably get an ironing board...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

It was some other bloke with a slap-head. Whoever it was, he looked a bit shell-shocked.

According to wiggins' book it was James Murdoch in the car at the second tt
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    According to wiggins' book it was James Murdoch in the car at the second tt

But this happened on the La Toussuire stage?
  • Just a heads up for those that need it.. Its on P***** bay now