Paul Kimmage.....

Comments

• Rich - your comments on Ashenden perfectly sum up my concerns about him. Every interview he does (and that's a considerable number now), I'm cynical about how much of it is for his own personal gain in terms of profile vs a genuine desire to see a clean sport.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ^^That's also an interesting point Dave, you could well be on the mark there!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    No they didn't. How have they done that then? They were only suing him for six grand. It's hardly financial ruin.

You've just been listening to what he's said himself. He's such a martyr that if he drops a bag of crisps he calls it a 'potato famine'. A few weeks ago he was saying how much suffering the legal proceedings were causing him. So why is he starting up another case as soon as that one got shelved?

Let's not lower ourselves to blatant racism Rich, you're better than that.

My understanding of the current situation is that he has simply handed his 'dossier' to the Swiss authorities and encouraged them to investigate. He hasn't initiated any proceedings against anyone, it's just like you or I going into our local Police Station to make a complaint.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Seriouly? people thought that was racist?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • some people are over sensitive regarding the Irish and potatoes. Something to do with racial guilty memory.

I'm always apologising to native americans because I did nothing to help.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I have heared of Makarov and I've seed the INRNG articles...

The "many" of the UCI officials I referred to are those that so far no rumours of impropriety/conflicts of interest have surfaced about - obviously, Makarov's not one of them.
    I too have read the articles and I'm still unclear as to what makes Makarov so troublesome compared to the seriously dodgy duo in situ.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    ddraver wrote:
    Seriouly? people thought that was racist?

Not in the slightest.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Kimmage hates cycling.

People would do well to remember that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Kimmage hates cycling.

I've seen this said several times now, but not seen it backed up. If it's your opinion, then fine, just say so. If it's a demonstrably objective fact then please demonstrate it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Kimmage hates cycling.

I've seen this said several times now, but not seen it backed up. If it's your opinion, then fine, just say so. If it's a demonstrably objective fact then please demonstrate it.

+1
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • rick_chasey
    Kimmage hates cycling.

I haven't read anything he's written about cycling which is positive. At all.

Even in rough ride when he talks about that Etape du Tour he does with Alan Prost it's clear he hates it.

He turned pro, it spat him out the back and since then I genuinely think he hates it.

He writes well about other sports, but when it comes to cycling he loses all objectivity and perpsective.

He reminds me of Johnny, nice panter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7ag4
  • The impression I get from Kimmage re: cycling, is that he loved it, and still wants to love it, but it gave him bad times, and continues to do so. Some of those bad times are through no fault of his own.

Some people say he was a mediocre rider, but is that compared to many in the peleton who were prepared to dope more than he was?

There are lots of high profile riders who are now saying that they considered or started doping because they were being dropped by previously mediocre riders.
    --
  • rick_chasey
    The impression I get from Kimmage re: cycling, is that he loved it, and still wants to love it, but it gave him bad times, and continues to do so. Some of those bad times are through no fault of his own.

Some people say he was a mediocre rider, but is that compared to many in the peloton who were prepared to dope more than he was?

There are lots of high profile riders who are now saying that they considered or started doping because they were being dropped by previously mediocre riders.

His attitude to cycling is akin to that of an ex wife after a messy and nasty divorce.

He knows he loved it once, and that's about it.

Pretty sure he doesn't want to love it again. Nothing he's written that I've read says otherwise.

It's all dope dope dope, and then he'll set the bar so high he'll never have to be a fan again.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Its the same old same old. Whoever takes a stand against something rotten they get flack for having an "Agenda".

Why not just take the guy at face value? He ha been a lone voice for years, no one else was prepared to speak out. Now something seems to be happening for the good of our sport people want to take a pop at him.

If we want to get angry or dissalusioned with someone connected to cycling there are plenty to chose from without picking someone who I believe is part of the solution, not the problem.
  • rick_chasey
    I can live with an anti-doping agenda, if they demonstrate they actually like the sport and want what's best for it.

Guys like Walsh and Kimmage only ever talk cycling when they talk doping, at least, in public.

It's sh!tty and makes me not like them. I feel like they don't have cycling's interest at heart REALLY. They're not fans. They're anti-doping journos who know enough about cycling to get good mileage out of a very good journalism story. Kimmage even writes very well on other sports. It's a real shame he can't write like that about cycling.

For as long as I've been reading Lionel Birnie he's also been anti-doping, but it's quite clear from him that he also REALLY LIKES cycling. Much more likely to listen to him than Kimmage.
  • I've got reservations about Kimmage too. I'm not totally sure what his motivations are. I like what he's written in the Irish Independent however:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 81852.html
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kimmage hates cycling.

Kimmage hates the actualities of pro-cycling. Big difference.

Last time I saw Kimmage was a couple of years ago after riding a sportif with his daughter. Not sure that someone who hated the sport in all its aspects would be encouraging his child into it.

I've read Kimmage since his very earliest contributions to the Irish Cycling Review and then the Irish "Sunday Tribune" and I've seen first hand the grief and abuse he received even at club level in Ireland once his book came out.
    Hell yeah, it would be great to see Kimmage with some positive (not that sort), cheerleading pieces for the sport but he's been dealing with this sh!t for over two decades. At least he's consistent in his dislike of the pro game. Most everyone here myself included, would, on one hand, pillory certain riders for their doping but then give a free pass to other dopers because their style of racing gives us a semi.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    some people are over sensitive regarding the Irish and potatoes. Something to do with racial guilty memory.

Speaking for Ireland I'll say we're over it.

It was a bit rough for a while there but we're fine now. You hold on to Jedward and we'll call it quits.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The impression I get from Kimmage re: cycling, is that he loved it, and still wants to love it, but it gave him bad times, and continues to do so. Some of those bad times are through no fault of his own.

Some people say he was a mediocre rider, but is that compared to many in the peloton who were prepared to dope more than he was?

His attitude to cycling is akin to that of an ex wife after a messy and nasty divorce.

Pretty sure he doesn't want to love it again. Nothing he's written that I've read says otherwise.

It's all dope dope dope, and then he'll set the bar so high he'll never have to be a fan again.

Your attitude re' Kimmage Rick is, at face value, not too far removed from the collective 'say nothing' business that clouded the sport for so many years that allowed Armstrong and the rest to prosper i.e. speak out and you 'damage the sport'. Furthermore I've noticed an overall ambivalence over the years on this forum from a few of the main posters here towards getting things straightened-out, who now appear to have been caught wrong-footed and seem to be now at a loss as to how they may salvage and point some of their remaining malice towards those that have brought about this hiatus within the cycling world.

I'm at a loss how it is that Kimmage, Walsh, LeMond - oh, the list goes on - and the others are getting the slow drip-drip of the character-assassins on here.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited November 2012
    RichN95 wrote:
    No they didn't. How have they done that then? They were only suing him for six grand. It's hardly financial ruin.

You've just been listening to what he's said himself. He's such a martyr that if he drops a bag of crisps he calls it a 'potato famine'. A few weeks ago he was saying how much suffering the legal proceedings were causing him. So why is he starting up another case as soon as that one got shelved?

Let's not lower ourselves to blatant racism Rich, you're better than that.
    It's not racist in the slightest or even xenophobic (given most of the Irish are the same race as me). My comment made no comments on the Irish at all - I merely used a great historical tragedy with a common nationality to Kimmage - and thereby a cultural touchstone - to emphasis a point.
    Had Kimmage been an American I may have said "He drops a quarter and thinks it's the Wall Street Crash". Would that have been racist?

I might also have said that Kimmage is so intense and miserable that he makes Angela's Ashes look like Father Ted. But I guess that would have been racist too.

Do you seriously want to call me racist for connecting someone from a country to another thing from that country?

I expect an apology.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    RichN95 wrote:
    he makes Angela's Ashes look like Father Ted. But I guess that would have been racist too.

Actually, you mentioned a woman's name: I'd say that was a little bit sexist, too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And inciting racial hatred
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    coriordan wrote:
    And inciting racial hatred
    Even if I was rabidly anti-Irish, I couldn't hope to achieve what Jedward have.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I can live with an anti-doping agenda, if they demonstrate they actually like the sport and want what's best for it.

Guys like Walsh and Kimmage only ever talk cycling when they talk doping, at least, in public.

It's sh!tty and makes me not like them. I feel like they don't have cycling's interest at heart REALLY. They're not fans. They're anti-doping journos who know enough about cycling to get good mileage out of a very good journalism story. Kimmage even writes very well on other sports. It's a real shame he can't write like that about cycling.

For as long as I've been reading Lionel Birnie he's also been anti-doping, but it's quite clear from him that he also REALLY LIKES cycling. Much more likely to listen to him than Kimmage.

Sounds like that Dennis guy -- silly and dumb.

"they don't have cycling's interest at heart REALLY." -- what does that even mean?
  • some people are over sensitive regarding the Irish and potatoes. Something to do with racial guilty memory.

Speaking for Ireland I'll say we're over it.

It was a bit rough for a while there but we're fine now. You hold on to Jedward and we'll call it quits.

I'm welsh ( but at least a quarter english, possibly more, can't find info beyond two generations), my kids are an eighth Irish. Jedward is nothing to do with me. :D

I wasn't having a go at the Irish, just saying some peeps are over sensitive.
    --
  • mercsport wrote:
    The impression I get from Kimmage re: cycling, is that he loved it, and still wants to love it, but it gave him bad times, and continues to do so. Some of those bad times are through no fault of his own.

Your attitude re' Kimmage Rick is, at face value, not too far removed from the collective 'say nothing' business that clouded the sport for so many years that allowed Armstrong and the rest to prosper i.e. speak out and you 'damage the sport'. Furthermore I've noticed an overall ambivalence over the years on this forum from a few of the main posters here towards getting things straightened-out, who now appear to have been caught wrong-footed and seem to be now at a loss as to how they may salvage and point some of their remaining malice towards those that have brought about this hiatus within the cycling world.

I'm at a loss how it is that Kimmage, Walsh, LeMond - oh, the list goes on - and the others are getting the slow drip-drip of the character-assassins on here.

^^^Absolutely. Messrs Chasey and RichN95 being the chief culprits. Cycling as a pastime is wonderful; as a pro-sport it is rotten to the core and it seems some people would rather try and smear Kimmage for being to 'Negative'. Oh purleeease.
  • Give over. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

There is no black and white about any situation or any person.
  • rick_chasey
    Quite.

Look, if you want to take the opinion that fans are part of the problem then I guess I am. I watched and enjoyed watching what turns out to be doped up riders. I've cheered them on. I've bought magazines because they were on the front cover. I've even bought a replica jersey of one.

All I want is to enjoy my sport. Part of me wishes cycling took the football angle so that we'd never hear about it and I never thought about it. Ideally of course there'd be none of it, but hey, I've been watching cycling since 1998.

I'm more comfortable listening to journalists who use their platform to support cycling for it's good points as well as criticise it for the bad. That's the position I have. I really love pro-cycling and I wish it'd sort itself out.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    I expect an apology.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • rick_chasey
    Bakunin wrote:

Sounds like that Dennis guy -- silly and dumb.

"they don't have cycling's interest at heart REALLY." -- what does that even mean?

They pay lip service to cycling's best interests but they don't really care. They mine it for good investigative journalism and a good story and don't care what impact it has.

Why haven't I read any race reports from Walsh and Kimmage? Why aren't they on twitter gassing about the Giro when it was on? Hmm?

They like writing about doping, not cycling.