Tour de France 2013 - the Route

1235»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Should be a good route.

Though week 2 looks f*cking dull.

I'd rather week 1 be dull since I'm usually in the Netherlands then with better things to do ;).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I know Route details won't come out till next year, but anyone care to try and take a guess for Stage 5 (Cagnes-sur-Mer > Marseilles) for me?

I may have an opportunity to be down that area in the Var region... and if I could swing taking the bike...
    The stage is supposed to take in the Col de la Gineste, about 8-10 km before the finish, on the road between Cassis and Marseille, if that's any help.
    Don't know about earlier on the stage but the Le Tour map suggests a fairly direct route, i.e. at first parallel and not far from the autoroute, then from Flassans across country via Meounes to Cassis.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Twice up L'Alpe d'Huez.

Won't the guys coming down, get in the way of those going up?

:?:
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Twice up L'Alpe d'Huez.

No, cos they'll come down on the ski lifts :)
  • Lichtblick
    Okayyyyyyyyy

I've just imagined it. Peleton arrives at bottom of mighty Alpe. Some guys charge ahead, get to the top, turn around to repeat. Others are still coming up. First lot of guys arrive at bottom, turn around to repeat. Bump into grupetto still going up the first time AND some guys coming down.

CHAOS on narrow twisty steep road packed with drunken fans.

Sounds like a terrific idea. :shock:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Twice up L'Alpe d'Huez.

There's a big jump off the top.

By coincidence Sky have announced that Sean Yates will be replaced by Felix Baumgartner.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Okayyyyyyyyy

I've just imagined it. peloton arrives at bottom of mighty Alpe. Some guys charge ahead, get to the top, turn around to repeat. Others are still coming up. First lot of guys arrive at bottom, turn around to repeat. Bump into grupetto still going up the first time AND some guys coming down.

CHAOS on narrow twisty steep road packed with drunken fans.

Sounds like a terrific idea. :shock:

You loony. They descend a different route, ride around the base and jaunt up a second time. It will however give the very drunken fans double the opportunity to be immensely annoying.
  • Lichtblick
    Loony, eh? Seemed like a fair point to me. :cry:
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Loony, eh? Seemed like a fair point to me. :cry:

Seriously though you should try and get out so see that stage for yourself. Atmosphere on the Alpe is incredible.
  • can't wait till july finish i'll be at the top of le grand bornand and the next day semnoz. i rode up annecy semnoz this year and is a great climb plenty of good viewing points.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Please someone tell me that they are going to barrier off at least the last 6kms of Alpe d Huez ( do ASO know that there are actually more climbs in the alps ?). you can already see the pished fans running alongside stopping the riders attacking just like the borefest a couple of years back on the tourmalet with Contador & Schleck. - I think for the 100th tour this is a pretty shyte route. The Pyrenees stages are a joke. Howcome the Giro & Vuelta organisers can find great routes but Prudhome can find endless sprint stages and his favourite of all the DOWNHILL finish.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Please someone tell me that they are going to barrier off at least the last 6kms of Alpe d Huez ( do ASO know that there are actually more climbs in the alps ?). you can already see the pished fans running alongside stopping the riders attacking just like the borefest a couple of years back on the tourmalet with Contador & Schleck. - I think for the 100th tour this is a pretty shyte route. The Pyrenees stages are a joke. Howcome the Giro & Vuelta organisers can find great routes but Prudhome can find endless sprint stages and his favourite of all the DOWNHILL finish.

Said this before. You could put barriers 6km down the climb, but the "pished" fans will just move down to 7km.
  • The do nowadays start the barriers from just above the Huez hamlet, about 5kms to go.
  • OK, I think I've found the final climb on the Annecy stage, but does anyone know which side they will be climbing? Will they be coming though Annecy or approaching it from Leschaux?
  • OK, I think I've found the final climb on the Annecy stage, but does anyone know which side they will be climbing? Will they be coming though Annecy or approaching it from Leschaux?

By all accounts, from neither. There's a third way: Cusy > Gruffy > Quintal, before reaching the climb proper on the northern side. Looks like it's that way.

By all accounts, from neither. There's a third way: Cusy > Gruffy > Quintal, before reaching the climb proper on the northern side. Looks like it's that way.

Yeah, cheers for that, it does look like they are climbing that side. Just found this profile on the TdF website which has Quintal at the base of the climb.

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.jpg
  • Not sure I fancy Andy Schleck's chances on the Alpe d'Huez stage, how is he ever going to survive the descent of the Sarenne? :shock:

the%20top%20view%20from%20col%20%2394f.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Not sure I fancy Andy Schleck's chances on the Alpe d'Huez stage, how is he ever going to survive the descent of the Sarenne? :shock:

Perhaps in the context of his other woes - hip/manager/team/brother - he'll have grown to love descending by next July?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Not sure I fancy Andy Schleck's chances on the Alpe d'Huez stage, how is he ever going to survive the descent of the Sarenne? :shock:

the%20top%20view%20from%20col%20%2394f.jpg

that is an excellent descent, its fast but keeps you on your toes, no drifting off thats for sure. Its also a really enjoyable climb. Not sure its been used in the tour before??? someone with a better memory?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Perhaps in the context of his other woes - hip/manager/team/brother - he'll have grown to love descending by next July?

It's all relative, I suppose
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:

Sorry to jump back a way on this post but just had to agree! what has happened in the Pyrenees? the Col du Tourmalet had its hundredth passing two years ago and hasn't been missed for years - only six times in the history of the tour, but they are not going over this year of all years! Not to mention all the others (Ardiden, Aubisque, Hautacam...), it can't be a celebration of a hundred years of the tour without its calssic cols can it?