Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    It’s more a medical ethics issue than a doping issue to me. If it’s allowing him to keep playing without making an injury worse then no issue but if a doctor is administering it knowing it is making things worse in the long term I don’t see how that would be in keeping with the Hippocratic Oath. But then I feel the same about prescribed medications in cycling too. Other than the risk of long term aggravation of an injury my main concern would be risk of addiction with some pain killers and impact on awareness / reactions e.g. I doubt facing a 90mph bowler when dosed up on Tramadol is a good idea in the same way as it isn’t great being in a 200 rider peloton riding at 30+mph.

Being able to play with reduced / no pain isn’t allowing you to perform above your natural ability in the same way being able to treat asthma isn’t. Maybe in some sports painkillers can improve performance by, for example, delaying the pain in muscles when going over you lactic threshold.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    edited March 2023
    Agree Pross - it doesn't necessarily enhance your max possible level - and agree it's certainly questionable ethically.

The question ref performance would be if your a 'power player' such as a Flintoff / Stokes, rather than a 'consistent' steady eddy type - your 'natural' game isn't something you should necessarily be able to do game in game out - if you are capable of wrecking your body to the advantage of your game, then the drugs are allowing you to give that to the team far more often than you naturally should be able to.

PS i am no cricket expert so feel free to skittle the stumps of my assertions....
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    A friend of mine is a physio who works with a lot of retired pro rugby players - they are all fucked due to repeated injections into joints where the pain is telling them to stop, but the clubs/contracts/players won't do it. An endless stream of 35-45 year old players with serious mobility issues, arthritis and so on. But when they were 25 and on top of the world they didn't really think this far ahead.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Pross said:

andyp said:
    That seems a bit ambiguous.
    Bol's lawyers have had his sample re-tested by two independent scientists and they say they found no evidence of synthetic EPO.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/30/experts-predict-potentially-massive-global-impact-of-peter-bol-doping-case

As the article says, this has major implications for WADA accredited labs if they are not reliably testing for synthetic EPO.
  • Pross
    Yeah, that's going to create issues going forward.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Agree about the problem with medical ethics - my previous comments were relating to the use by the sportsman and whether they were doping (according to the definition).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Let's not pretend pro sport is healthy
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    The ultrarunner and record breaker who has just been busted for getting a car ride during an event. Over in today's Guardian. Still, Nibali did get that massive tow some yrs back.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    US triathlete wins $100 000 in one of the highest paying races in the sport, decides to take up doping 2 months later.

Funny how all these people only take up doping after their best performances.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/collin-chartier-doping-positive-epo-suspended
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/65531036

Wonder who's in his black book.
  • Pross
    Must be some wary of a plea bargain
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2023
    This evening Lance Armstrong was trending on Twitter. Not because of his reality show, but because people were calling Manchester City, with their victory and financial misconduct charges against them, the Lance Armstrong of football. Over a decade after his last race and 18 years since his last win, he's still the touchstone for cheating.

Just some examples

Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    edited June 2023
    Did anyone else read the guardian article saying it was less like Lance and cycling and more like swimming and the super fast swimming outfits?

———

Perhaps the wrong thread for it but I noticed women’s cycling is going through the pains of professionalisation with two riders from the same team and coach testing positive for doping, and both claiming contamination ala Contador…

Am too ignorant to know much more about the context - don’t follow it closely enough.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Well I'm sure Pep was 'popped' during his career for taking things he shouldn't.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/nov/23/newsstory.sport6
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Watched Untold : Hall of Shame on Netflix yesterday.
    Very interesting, Victor Conte a total hustler but also Jeff Novitzky features heavily. He was very aloof at the time of the LA stuff, but his character comes across in this.
    I like the way they don't need to be told to start an investigation, but does mean you risk getting accused of wasting FED resources/getting defunded etc when the heavyweight defence lawyers get involved.
  • Seems like Paul Pogba has been popped for testosterone. This might make an actual dent in the football narrative
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Hmmm. Always assumed football brushed this stuff under the carpet.
  • Tumbleweed over on the BBC sports pages, although Pogba does make a recent front page headlines on an unrelated matter.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tumbleweed over on the BBC sports pages, although Pogba does make a recent front page headlines on an unrelated matter.

They've made it (eventually) their headline story.
    Cut them some slack, they've spent most of the day fending off accusations of showing too many EU flags at the proms.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Tumbleweed over on the BBC sports pages, although Pogba does make a recent front page headlines on an unrelated matter.

Cut them some slack, they've spent most of the day fending off accusations of showing too many EU flags at the proms.
    Bbc sport have spent their day, and seemingly the last 4 years, looking up terms to exaggerate the quality of the rugger they're all currently being given the VIP treatment at.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Plus accusations of censorship in regard of announced radio cuts. (ageism etc)

Anyhows, I notice they have included the word "provisionally" in their headlines.
    Normally, they find that word so inconsequential, that they omit it from any doping stories.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Amir Khan on BBC Breakfast churning out all the convicted doper cliches. Accepting it was in his system and was his responsibility but ‘it was the equivalent of one grain of salt in Olympic pool’ ‘not sure how it got there, it must have been contamination’ ‘I was trying to make weight but this would add muscle, why would I take something that does that in the build up to a fight’ and of course, at number 1 in the list of Greatest Hits, ‘I never tested positive in any tests before or after’.
  • andyp said:

As the article says, this has major implications for WADA accredited labs if they are not reliably testing for synthetic EPO.

My understanding is that testing for EPO is still a challenge given it's only detectable for a very short period of time. This is unfortunate, but does shine the spotlight on a "positive test" actually needing both the A and B sample to give the same result (unless the athlete concerned waives their right to have the B sample tested.)

Therefore, painful though it may be (i.e. "obvious" dopers can carry on despite having "failed" the test on the A sample) the correct cause of action is to not publicise the results of the A sample test, and for action to only be taken (publicity, sanction etc.) once the B sample test has confirmed the A sample result.

The scenario where provisional suspensions have to be reversed when B sample test don't confirm the A sample result does no-one any favours and casts doubt on the integrity of the whole system, which shouldn't be the case as the system involving A and B samples being tested independently was designed to give an outcome where a failed overall test really could not be disputed.

• rick_chasey
    Or that fifa and their despotic funders with fat wallets lean heavily on the sample B testers….
  • Or that fifa and their despotic funders with fat wallets lean heavily on the sample B testers….

You'd think so. But the A sample result for Pogba reaching the public domain suggests that Pogba has done something to upset someone and has been thrown under the bus. Or those doing the "leaning" dropped the ball for once.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    Tennis Doping - 4 Year ban for Halep
    https://bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66789732
  • andyp
    orraloon said:

Where's Dan Roan? Not commenting at all with these tennis, moneykickball et al dopers. Or is he stuck in the Sky mousehole?

I still think it 'odd' how Novax Djokovic remains sweat free playing in whatevs temperatures.

Ok, IGMC and I'm off to The Clinic 😉

He's in France, reporting on the rugby world cup. No mention of rugby's doping issues that I've seen yet.
  • Simona Halep (ex-Wimbledon champ and world #1) banned for 4 years for use of roxadustat (whatever that is) and irregularities in her biological passport. It's taken 10 months to get this far, presumably due to the biological passport angle which needs inputs from experts in the determination. But according to Simona, it's all OK as she's tested negative repeatedly since her original test failure!
  • andyp

Simona Halep (ex-Wimbledon champ and world #1) banned for 4 years for use of roxadustat (whatever that is) and irregularities in her biological passport. It's taken 10 months to get this far, presumably due to the biological passport angle which needs inputs from experts in the determination. But according to Simona, it's all OK as she's tested negative repeatedly since her original test failure!

Roxadustat is an anti-anemia medication that stimulates the production of red blood cells.