science vs religion

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited February 2014 in The Crudcatcher
315667_372441812834939_1830235281_n.jpg

Comments

• I don't understand why he's so anti-religious. Fair enough, he's an atheist. He just seems to be hamming it up for the American audience, as they seem to have really big atheist/religion arguements, whereas here it's more like 'meh'.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • welshkev
    I don't understand why he's so anti-religious. Fair enough, he's an atheist. He just seems to be hamming it up for the American audience, as they seem to have really big atheist/religion arguements, whereas here it's more like 'meh'.

don't you think that's funny though? :? i think it's brilliant :lol:

i have nothing against people who are religious if it brings them some sort of comfort. but not shooting a girl in the head ffs
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You're wrong, she was an infidel.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    For once, and I'm hating to admit this, I'm with Gervais on this.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He's a dickhead but that is funny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev wrote:
    I don't understand why he's so anti-religious. Fair enough, he's an atheist. He just seems to be hamming it up for the American audience, as they seem to have really big atheist/religion arguements, whereas here it's more like 'meh'.

don't you think that's funny though? :? i think it's brilliant :lol:

i have nothing against people who are religious if it brings them some sort of comfort. but not shooting a girl in the head ffs
    I think I've just got bored of his ranting. It's all over Reddit as the American Atheists seem to love him. It seems to be strange that over the pond, Athesists seem to be an underground cult and Ricky has just jumped on the bandwagon.

Doesn't bother me whether people are for or against religion, I think it's just Ricky I don't like.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cicatriz
    cicatriz Posts: 411
    Clank wrote:
    For once, and I'm hating to admit this, I'm with Gervais on this.
    ^ This
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    There's a big difference between people who don't have religious beliefs, and people who call themselves atheists.
    Atheists are generally the most horrible people I've met, and approach the subject with the same zealotry as religious fundamentalists.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I think it's just Ricky I don't like.

This! ^^

Religion never used to bother me as if it brings comfort & happiness to people then whats wrong with that? Untill I saw some christians mocking atheists. It just made me so angry lol
  • I don't understand why he's so anti-religious. Fair enough, he's an atheist. He just seems to be hamming it up for the American audience, as they seem to have really big atheist/religion arguements, whereas here it's more like 'meh'.
    There's a big difference between people who don't have religious beliefs, and people who call themselves atheists.
    Atheists are generally the most horrible people I've met, and approach the subject with the same zealotry as religious fundamentalists.
    Completely agree!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro

Agreed. A cnut is a cnut. Religious or not. And Gervais is a monumental cnut.
  • welshkev

yeah, there's a book called the god complex by some one dawkins. i thought i'd like to read it as it was touted as a book arguing about evolution etc and i thought it'd be interesting.

i gave up after about 10 pages as the guy was just ranting about how there is no god and anyone who believes is a knobber....put me off really :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The thing is, I don't believe in a god, and find the concept of religion (as applied to my view of the world) as a bit childish and daft, like still believing in Santa claus. Hell, at least Santa Claus has "evidence" to support his existence, didn't your parents leave stuff under the tree or by the fire or wherever for you, and tell you it was from Santa?

Anyway, as much as I don't believe, I also realise that there's a human need to believe "something", so I don't deride anyone for believing in religion. We're not all the same, that's one of the fascinating things about life.
    Unlike matters of engineering, or science, I won't try to "correct" anyone's religious beliefs, since they are deeply personal, and can often be tied to their sense of self.

What I will not accept, is when people try to impose their beliefs on me. I leave them alone for having their beliefs, and I expect them to reciprocate.
    Atheists, don't do that. They try to force their world view on others.
  • I happen to share the view that Jesus did in fact exist at some stage. Not in the magical sense christianity teaches, but in the sense he was a dude who existed around the time and did some pretty nice things for people, had some pretty radical views for the time and ultimately paid with his life because he stepped on the wrong toes (hurst more when wearing sandals you see).
    The story has been told, passed on, told again, embelished slightly, suddenly he's a magical being with superpowers.

No harm in believing those stories if it helps you deal with whatever happens to be going on with your life, but I'm in agreement with yeehaa, I'll not often share my views on it, and I don't much care to have other peoples views pushed upon me.

The whole thing with religion is that it's deliberately open to interpritation. Unfortunately, this also leaves it open to abuse by people. It's a belief, and as such, people are willing to devote theirselves to it wholeheartedly, they will kill, or die for it. People see this, and exploit it for their own gains.

Oh, and Atheism is a belief too. and as said above they can be just as bad, if not worse, than the god squad for trying to force their views on people.
  • Ohhhhhhh, religion in the crudcatcher again. IIRC the last time we did this the banhammer had to be brought out.

*grabs popcorn*
  • EH_Rob
    had some pretty radical views for the time and ultimately paid with his life.

Are you suggesting Jesus invented the 29er?
  • EH_Rob
    Thinking about it, he had a beard, and wore sandals, so I'm almost certain he did.

He's got a lot to answer for.
  • welshkev
    Ohhhhhhh, religion in the crudcatcher again. IIRC the last time we did this the banhammer had to be brought out.

*grabs popcorn*

ha ha, i didn't realise that, i just thought it was funny. i think i'll grab some popcorn and sit and watch as well :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Just for the record, i dont have a beard (at the moment) i dont wear sandles (they're flip flops) but i do have a 29er although i didnt invent it.
    That said i do have magical powers and a large following.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    A cnut is a cnut. Religious or not. And Gervais is a monumental cnut.
    Oh and this
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    That said Jimmy Saville and I are rather alike.

FTFY
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Just for the record, i dont have a beard (at the moment) i dont wear sandles (they're flip flops) but i do have a 29er although i didnt invent it.
    That said i do have magical powers and a large following.

That makes you the pied piper of hamelin, not Jebus.
  • EH_Rob
    Wait a second, Jimmy Saville had a large following and a large obvious.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    FFS. For the record, I have a beard. And two pairs of sandels.

I have bouncy forks, multiple gears and 26" wheels on all but the crosser. As well as being single-speed free, I cannot walk on water, cure the sick (unless you count involuntary euthanasia as 'curing') nor feed the amassed multitude armed with only a copy of Nigellisma, two warbutons and tin of frikkin sardines.

I'm crap at carpentry. As was my dad.

It is apperent that this forum is nothing more than a thinly veiled home for those with an anti-beardist agenda, I tells ya. I'm on to you lot.

On other news, religous veiwpoints are like penises, unless its consentual, ramming either down someones throat is liable to lead to all manner of trouble!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I too have face fuzz, you're not alone Clank. my beard's ginger, which makes me extra special. And extra Jesus-like, because as we all know, Jesus was white with gingerish hair :)
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I too have face fuzz, you're not alone Clank. my beard's ginger, which makes me extra special.
    demotivational-posters-my-mom-says-im-special.jpg?w=620
  • Who gave you that photo!?

It doesn't show me in the right light and I had a cold that day!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • VWsurfbum
    Clank wrote:
    religous veiwpoints are like penises, unless its consentual, ramming either down someones throat is liable to lead to all manner of trouble!
    :lol::lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty