I don't believe Lance Armstrong and I never will...

14567810»

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have almost finished The Secret Race (a friend in the US sent me an uncensored copy). Lance does come across as an utter cnut. It's interesting stuff though. Well worth a read.

I have this version too - Just read Tyler Hamiltons book and I am re-reading 'Tour de Force'. I quite liked Tyler, I read a few more things and watched some interviews with him, just comes across as competitive, but just got caught up in the rush of it all.

Lance will make even more money now, Interviews, book, news column, TV programme, film, perhaps even become an ambassador for anti doping in sport - who better to support even - He will have allot to pay out if he does confess. His recent silence has obviously been time used to plan ahead and mitigate his losses - assemble a crack team for out of court settlements and plan new contracts for another Lance rebirth.

You should read David Walsh's '7 Deadly Sins'

BTW I think the statute of limitations applies certainly with regards to the SCA case, so Lance can't be done for Perjury there.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have almost finished The Secret Race (a friend in the US sent me an uncensored copy). Lance does come across as an utter cnut. It's interesting stuff though. Well worth a read.

I have this version too - Just read Tyler Hamiltons book and I am re-reading 'Tour de Force'. I quite liked Tyler, I read a few more things and watched some interviews with him, just comes across as competitive, but just got caught up in the rush of it all.

Lance will make even more money now, Interviews, book, news column, TV programme, film, perhaps even become an ambassador for anti doping in sport - who better to support even - He will have allot to pay out if he does confess. His recent silence has obviously been time used to plan ahead and mitigate his losses - assemble a crack team for out of court settlements and plan new contracts for another Lance rebirth.

BTW I think the statute of limitations applies certainly with regards to the SCA case, so Lance can't be done for Perjury there.

Forgive my ignorance; but I would assume that all sponsors will have a 'clean' clause in sponsorship contracts - so, it would be assumed that anyone admitting doping offences at a later date could be sued by said sponsor - fair enough. However, As for perjery, he did state, under oath, in a court of law that he did not dope - so, one would guess that he could be held in contempt of court......However, if he is coming clean, I wonder if a deal has been done over the last few months.....He is definitely not stupid enough to put himself in jail.

Any legal minds care to fill in the blanks in my head?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Well, SCA seem to think that they have some sort of recourse, although I think as IP said (and a quick Google seems to verify) SOL for Perjury is generally 5 years, so that has passed (although it does vary from state to state).
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327

Currently reading this - great book.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    There seems to be some confusion on the perjury issue.

My understanding is that the statute of limitations clock wouldn't start ticking until the perjury is 'discovered' rather than from when it occured. I may be wrong on this though
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There seems to be some confusion on the perjury issue.

My understanding is that the statute of limitations clock wouldn't start ticking until the perjury is 'discovered' rather than from when it occured. I may be wrong on this though

SOL on a criminal offence seems like an odd concept. I'm assuming he won't confess until he has cut a deal that avoids prison time. The other stuff is all contractual - he'll have done his math to seeing whether he can balance the books with future earnings etc and I imagine his Oprah fee will be his first major earnings of the "post confession" era. That's assuming he confesses.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I guess that Oprah won out in terms of offering the cold hard cash for the story, but will she do a good interview and get every aspect of the story?

Who would you like to be conducting the interview?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm pretty sure there's no statute of limitation in the case of perjury in the US, leading to both the criminal prosecution and the civill action by SCA. I'm very sure that Lance and his team will have taken this into account and been involved in some back room dealing to ensure he stays out of jail and is able to settle with SCA and the like. Yes, he'll be worse off but as said above, he'll make back the money in other ways.

There's a good interview with David Walsh on GCN, where he likens the situation to a Holywood film where the bank robber comes out of retirement for 1 last job and everything going wrong. In this case, it was Lance coming out of retirement for the 2009 TdF as Walsh reckons he might have got away with it otherwise.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I guess that Oprah won out in terms of offering the cold hard cash for the story, but will she do a good interview and get every aspect of the story?

Kimmage :twisted:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    There's a good interview with David Walsh on GCN, where he likens the situation to a Holywood film where the bank robber comes out of retirement for 1 last job and everything going wrong. In this case, it was Lance coming out of retirement for the 2009 TdF as Walsh reckons he might have got away with it otherwise.

Or because of those pesky kids....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Walsh.

Or a panel of the 'Trolls'
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    gtvlusso wrote:

The Pro Race clique I bet they wouldn't say a word to his face.
  • Ooops
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Walsh.

Or a panel of the 'Trolls'
    After reading The Secret Race, you mean Choads.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Just listening to The Secret Race on audiobook now - fascinating insight into the psychology of cheating - far less about LA than I expected and just more about the utter prevalence of doping in professional cycling.

Another insight I've had is around LA's utter determination. I'm seeing something similar in my son post-cancer - not that he's cheating but he's utterly utterly determined to succeed at school and leaves nothing to chance.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH