Etape Caledonia 2013

Comments

• It’s very much an ‘event’. I didn’t get to ride the 2011 edition due to a broken arm but when I was up with mates who were signing on we overheard a chap at the Wilier stand who’d come from Switzerland to ride it - and when I rode it this year the there were so many non Scottish accents.

Entry for everyone opened today – I bet it’s sold out by the weekend...
  • I've ridden this event every year since it launched, but like many others have decided that the entry fee is too steep now.
    If you haven't done it before, go for it. The atmosphere is great and the scenery is incredible, and it's the closest thing you'll get in the UK to riding in a "peleton". Just watch out for sketchy bike-handling skills. And don't expect much in your free pack.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Rode it this year and enjoyed it despite the rotten weather. Also cycled it on my own in September in much more pleasant weather and enjoyed the experience much more. Can't make it this year but would rather do it on my own terms now I think.
    Book your digs early! I ended up staying at Grandtully, nice enough, but 10 miles from the start.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Entry in today, pissed off with the lies being told I hadn't pre registered, so never got the email Monday, lo and behold, neither did my mate, nor loads others who said so on their facebook page :?

Anyway, I'm in, if I break 5.30 it will be job done for me. Will probably go do the 50 mile route around March/April, but got the WHW to do around that time also on me bike....so busy busy.
  • Crescent wrote:
    Book your digs early! I ended up staying at Grandtully, nice enough, but 10 miles from the start.
    This.

I'm currently trying to book something that isn't an hour's drive from Pitlochry, without much success. many of the hotels will only take 2-night bookings (some 3 min!), which, whilst I can understand the motivation, pushes the cost up and is frankly a bit on the sharp side.

And if you're bunked miles away, you'll end up parked a long way from the start, which is always a bit of a scrum anyway. Last year we had race numbers in the low 2,000's but there were 'elite' riders with low race numbers struggling to get to the front for their start time.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Crescent wrote:
    This.

I'm currently trying to book something that isn't an hour's drive from Pitlochry, without much success. many of the hotels will only take 2-night bookings (some 3 min!), which, whilst I can understand the motivation, pushes the cost up and is frankly a bit on the sharp side.

And if you're bunked miles away, you'll end up parked a long way from the start, which is always a bit of a scrum anyway. Last year we had race numbers in the low 2,000's but there were 'elite' riders with low race numbers struggling to get to the front for their start time.

Agree - I decided to stay over the sat late this year and could only get something 13 miles away. This year I've managed to get a wee b&B on Tummel Cres, just round from the start line!

Notice that it's closed for entries other than charity places now!
  • RandG
    Oh dear, I'm staying 50 miles away :lol:

What time in the morning am I going to have to be there :shock:
  • RandG
    I bet it’s sold out by the weekend...

Oh wise one :lol:
  • RandG wrote:
    Oh dear, I'm staying 50 miles away :lol:

What time in the morning am I going to have to be there :shock:

Are you coming from Dundee? We were in the third wave so had to be at the start line for about 6:45 and I think we left the city at about 4am. They have the whole traffic and parking thing sorted in Pitlochry so barring any delays on the A9 you should be fine.

I think I'm going to book a nice b&b in Aberfeldy and use the 15 miles to the town as a warm up. Maybe...
  • RandG
    yep, home sweet home in Dundee, so did think about a 4am drive up, though that will get us there for 5am :shock:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    SFT wrote:
    I'm in - best get out in the rain!
    It's not going to rain! definitely not.

According to the Metcheck on the 12th May 2013 we are due intermittent rain of 1.5mm total, however the good news is that the wind will only be 13 mph!

See: (http://www.metcheck.com/UK/180days.asp?MonthOf=5)
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Yip I'm in again. Although I do think it was bad craic asking for £63 four weeks before Xmas, but I guess they know it will sell out regardless.

No trouble getting there on the morning of the event from Dundee, however m going for a static caravan this time. More for the family than anything else.

Looking forward to it again. Surrounded by like minded people.
  • I'm pretty pi$$ed off about the etape registration too, I pre registered as I really wanted to do the ride this year. turns out I didn't get notified that registration was open, now when I check the only entries showing are the charity contribution ones. it's gonna cost £63 to enter and I have to commit to raising £300. me and some friends were wanting to ride it together, so we would need to raise over a grand for 4 of us to enter.

does anyone know if any more entries will become available? I would be happy to raise some money for charity, but feel £300 each is too much to commit too, would I be stopped from riding if I didn't make the £300?

any help would be great.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Its very unlikely more places will come available. I don't think you would be stopped riding, but you certainly have a moral obligation to raise the £300, otherwise the charity will lose out.

I've ridden it the last two years and it was a great event. The first year I had a charity place and had to raise £250. I don't think I'd like to go back and ask my family to do that again. Last year I had an ordinary place. Next year I've missed it, because I didn't get my name in on time.
  • I managed to book a B&B two hundred yards from the start the Friday before the event last year. The owner had had quite a few cancellations, I reckon due to the weather forecast. Those of you who are struggling should pray for rain and wind.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    thecrofter wrote:
    I managed to book a B&B two hundred yards from the start the Friday before the event last year. The owner had had quite a few cancellations, I reckon due to the weather forecast. Those of you who are struggling should pray for rain and wind.
    Well thanks very much... ;-)
  • I went for a B&B in Aberfeldy due to lack of places to stay but also because it's a lovely place owned by a keen cyclist and his wife and I want to ride in to the start line and get my legs warmed up. Driving from Dundee to Pitlochry at christ o' clock and then rolling onto the start line my legs were still asleep. So it's twice over Logierait for me!
  • Only my second sportive but entered this and looking forward to it, only bad thing is I think I'll be travelling up from just outside Edinburgh on the day ......early start for me then.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Only my second sportive but entered this and looking forward to it, only bad thing is I think I'll be travelling up from just outside Edinburgh on the day ......early start for me then.

Mind you need to register on Friday or Saturday, you cant register on the day (Sunday). Sorry if you know already, caught me out this year and had to book accom late on.
  • malks222 wrote:
    I'm pretty pi$$ed off about the etape registration too, I pre registered as I really wanted to do the ride this year. turns out I didn't get notified that registration was open, now when I check the only entries showing are the charity contribution ones. it's gonna cost £63 to enter and I have to commit to raising £300. me and some friends were wanting to ride it together, so we would need to raise over a grand for 4 of us to enter.

does anyone know if any more entries will become available? I would be happy to raise some money for charity, but feel £300 each is too much to commit too, would I be stopped from riding if I didn't make the £300?

any help would be great.

Me too. Registered with 2 separate e mail addresses and only found out by chance entries were open, sent an email complaining to the organisers only to be told that ther was no way I never got my email......
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    malks222 wrote:
    I'm pretty pi$$ed off about the etape registration too, I pre registered as I really wanted to do the ride this year. turns out I didn't get notified that registration was open, now when I check the only entries showing are the charity contribution ones. it's gonna cost £63 to enter and I have to commit to raising £300. me and some friends were wanting to ride it together, so we would need to raise over a grand for 4 of us to enter.

any help would be great.

Me too. Registered with 2 separate e mail addresses and only found out by chance entries were open, sent an email complaining to the organisers only to be told that ther was no way I never got my email......

I wonder if these missing notifications have been caught by spam filters, only a thought.
  • 3 months today :shock:

At this point in 3 months time, you should be boasting about the 30 mins you took off last year's time :wink:

See you all soon.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • 3 months today :shock:

At this point in 3 months time, you should be boasting about the 30 mins you took off last year's time :wink:

See you all soon.
    Given that I was 40mins down last year, that could well be the case :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • only 12 weeks........ 1st time last year in the bad weather so hopefully better this year
  • I rode this last year but ended up staying in Blair Atholl. We are staying in Moulin this year and as it's 4 blokes away for the weekend we were thinking a few beers in Pitlochry on Sunday afternoon/evening might be a bit livelier.

Does anybody know if the atmosphere of the day carries on into the afternoon/evening? Just wondering whether it is worth making the mile walk down the hill into town, or drinking in the nearby Moulin Hotel, which looks lovely?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Wardster00 wrote:
    I rode this last year but ended up staying in Blair Atholl. We are staying in Moulin this year and as it's 4 blokes away for the weekend we were thinking a few beers in Pitlochry on Sunday afternoon/evening might be a bit livelier.

Does anybody know if the atmosphere of the day carries on into the afternoon/evening? Just wondering whether it is worth making the mile walk down the hill into town, or drinking in the nearby Moulin Hotel, which looks lovely?

We stayed in pitlochry 2 years ago, and walked up the hill to the moulin on the sunday after etape, (which the locals recommended we should do). Wouldn't say the atmosphere was fantastic on the Sun eve, more subdued! We're going again this year staying fri sat sun. To be honest looked livlier and more fun at the mouilin than in town!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    So how is everyone getting along with their training then? Not long to go now.

Last week’s riding, including a hilly Saturday seemed to wake the engines up and I’m feeling a bit more confident about bettering last year’s time – if the weather holds up!

I keep forgetting that I have to add 14 miles to my ride due to staying in Aberfeldy – including a pre start climb over Logierait.
  • bianchimoon
    poor training so far due to late onset spring :( but a hilly 50 miler on sunday in fantastic conditions got the juices flowing. we're going friday and having a lazy round of golf fri evening, beers, 40 miler first part of the route recce on saturday, so here's hoping weathers on its best behaviour :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    I keep forgetting that I have to add 14 miles to my ride due to staying in Aberfeldy – including a pre start climb over Logierait.

that is by far the worst part of the ride, those last few hills seem steeper than anything beforehand - good luck
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804

that is by far the worst part of the ride, those last few hills seem steeper than anything beforehand - good luck

I've done it several times before thank god, so I know what to expect. Up, down, up down, up, down ;-) It's just a pi$$er that it's on the way to the start line :lol: On the plus side the B&B I'm staying at is run by a guy who does the Etape too, so there's probably going to be a ride-out whith my fellow guests in the morning.