Etape Caledonia 2013

Hi All,

Thinking of signing up for the 2013 Etape Caledonia, I've never been to Scotland before, and the scenery and route look bloody brilliant from previous years.

The route looks challenging, but doesn't worry me from what I've seen on the website/elevation charts.

Anyone on here do the 2012 route? Or thinking about signing up for the 2013 route?

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Done it 3 times now and will be signing up for next year as soon as entries open.

One of my favourite days out on the bike each year
  • Go for it. I did it this year, the route is not that challenging really fairly flat with one big climb. This years weather was the biggest challenge, rain, strong headwind on the way out (but great tailwind on the way back :) ), ohh and did I mention rain.

Area is great and as you say scenery is fantastic, hopefully you'll see some of it in 2013
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    It is all I am living for at the moment :lol:

Set myself a goal of being able to finish it, so bought a bike, and started getting out on it. I am highly motivated for this as I see it as something to train for. Yes, proper "cyclists" will scoff at me, but given my age, and lack of fitness, I see this as a real challenge. Did the route the other week on my motorbike to see exactly what I am going to face on the day, also plan a 50 mile loop of the course nearer the time.

Can't wait for the entries to open.
  • I'm up for my fourth go next year. As many will say it's not a difficult route, you'll struggle to find 80 flatter miles in the Highlands, but it's still 80 miles. Everyone will have their own reasons for doing it, or poo-pooing it. I enjoy it 'cos it gets me back to my roots.
    I'm hoping for better weather this year, I didn't do myself justice, just sneaked in under five hours. I should be 4.15 :oops:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Hey BlakeysFC,

Good to see you're gonna give it a go. It's a great route and such an awesome event. I had a mate who rode it this year for the first time (he doesn't really cycle that much but wanted to try it), he got a puncture near Kinloch Rannoch but some locals fixed it for him and gave him a bacon roll! Not bad support ;) He totally loved it even though it took him about 7hrs. Quite a few folk come up to practice a few months/weeks beforehand, so maybe worth trying that. I've got a bunch of routes on my website if that would help inspire (http://www.highlandperthshirecycling.co ... oad-routes), there's also a guy (Scot at Skinny Tyres) who does training rides too.

Looking forward to May already! Best of luck!
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Go for it BlakeysFC you will love it. Its the best day on the bike for me too, being surrounded by up to 5000 like minded people.

Great event, great route, great scenery, the support from the locals is unbelievable all the way round, even last year when the weather was horrendous.

I promise you, one visit up to this area and you will be hooked. Get signed up when the registration opens, you will not regret it!! :D
  • RandG
    d4evr wrote:
    the support from the locals is unbelievable
    Except the odd councillor. :lol:
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    RandG wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    the support from the locals is unbelievable
    Except the odd councillor. :lol:

Not councillor, Chocolatier! :wink: Yeah it did have a problem with the odd NIMBY, but since his business was featured in a Bollywood movie, which had to close the road for filming for 2 days right outside his shop (can you spot the irony?) he has been rather quiet. :wink:
  • RandG
    Ah, I thought it was a councillor that "allegedly" lobbed the tacs down :?
  • Omar Little
    Any word on the registration yet?
  • Not heard anything yet, I did register on the site for early information. I'm guessing they're later this year because the arrangement with the council to run the event expired this year and they are negotiating the T&C's for the next few years.
  • I hope they don't have any issues in the negotiations, I've just paid the deposit on my accomodation!
  • Wardster00 wrote:
    I hope they don't have any issues in the negotiations, I've just paid the deposit on my accomodation!
    IMHO, it shouldn't be a problem. Both the Council and the promoter want it to continue. It should just be a matter of ticking the boxes.

And agreeing how much more expensive they can make it. :(
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Any word on the registration yet?

Just contacted the website.

Reply states that the site should be open for registration by the end of the month - assume that means November so keep checking your emails (and spam) if you have pre-registered.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just got the email & registered.
    Yet another triumph of hope over experience as I put in for the sub-4 hour start again, I think I'll just need to get some advice from Soni on how to break out of the cycle of not losing weight and failing to get fitter...
  • As above, it just went live about an hour ago and I've signed up for the sub 4hr too. If I can teach myself how to do a wee on the move I might make it this year!

It's only gone up by £2 btw. £63 IMO is worth it and even though I'm only down the road the lady and I are going to go up and spend the Fri and Sat in the town - if I can find a hotel or b&b that has space...
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Also entered with a sub 4 hour target time after a 4 hour 3 min time last year! I am already working on getting my target weight below 66 Kgs especially for this.
  • Omar Little
    Signed up, soon as i got the email i was rushing to get my wallet and get the credit card out :P

Sub 4 hours for me too. Hoping for wave A or B again
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Looks like they're going to need new seeding categories, anyone going for the sub 3:30? :shock:
  • I didn't see a sub 3.30 on the form. Ended up at the back of my wave this year only to have the next wave swarm in front of me. I'm going to be a bit more ruthless this year...
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    bompington wrote:
    Looks like they're going to need new seeding categories, anyone going for the sub 3:30? :shock:

Only in my dreams! New seeding category should be less than 3:50
  • Can someone share the link? I registered interest, but haven't received an email. :(
  • That's my entry in. The dates all work out pretty well this year. Etape on the 12th May and the Bealach on the 25th, the SFA have even had the good sense to move the Scottish Cup Final to the Sunday. :D
  • entered, must be better than this year.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just completed my registration - will be my first experience of a closed road event.

Have opted for the 5hr 30m + seeding as I'm not confident I can get under that time. Have done a few standard sportives this year and my best time for 100K was 4hr 38m . As I will be nearing my 69th birthday by the date of the event I think common sense dictates a cautious approach.

Looks like I will be eating the dust of most who've posted above. Just hope I can latch on to a "Broom Wagon" train if such a thing exists
  • Can someone share the link? I registered interest, but haven't received an email. :(

https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm? ... OrgID=1941
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    I'm in - best get out in the rain!
  • SFT wrote:
    I'm in - best get out in the rain!
    It's not going to rain! Definately not.
  • All signed up to and this year hoping for sub 4 1/2 hrs. Just on 5 hrs last year but think with better weather (it cant be as wet as last year) and some more training, I should be able to get home a bit quicker. Knowing that I can make the distance too should help with pacing. Cant wait!!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Its a great route and scenery is superb and often cycle up in that area on my own. Never done the sportive and never will due to my personal feelings around the sign on but that aside each year only the Fred Whitton or the Marmotte generate as much interest here as the Etape Caledonian does.

I know lots who have done it and they reckon its the best event they have ever done. Not the hardest they say but the event generates a great atmoshpere I am told which is missing in most UK events and more akin to sportives abroad. Seeems to be growing bigger each year.
    Brian B.